Federal 38 Special Nyclad - A Complete test

Federal 38 Special Nyclad - A Complete Test

This is a discussion on Federal 38 Special Nyclad - A Complete Test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried a new test format on this oldie but goodie. Full Blog Article Pocket Guns and Gear: Federal Premium 38 Special Nyclad HP Complete ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Ljutic

Thread: Federal 38 Special Nyclad - A Complete test

Federal 38 Special Nyclad - A Complete test

I tried a new test format on this oldie but goodie.

Full Blog Article
    Pocket Guns and Gear: Federal Premium 38 Special Nyclad HP Complete test

Not sure if I'll keep this new format up or fall back to single shot tests. It really depends on what feedback I get from the folks the view the test.

Teaser Pictures

NH_Esau, marcclarke and Cory1022 like this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Distinguished Member
    I had no problems buying this from ammotogo last year and still have two boxes left after shooting up the rest in practice. I no longer have my Scandium Airlite snub nose so I know use .38 +P Short Barrel Gold Dots instead for better penetration.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Thanks! I've been wanting to see a 38 Special standard pressure gel test for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwalk View Post
    Thanks! I've been wanting to see a 38 Special standard pressure gel test for years.

Me Too.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I found 2 boxes of the ammunition about a year ago and have not found any since.......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I appreciate that review. Very thorough and well presented.

My wife and I both have SP-101's so recoil is managable with +P's, but I've always been interested in the old Nyclads.

Like you, I'd carry with them, if I had enough to maintain proficiency with and had an airweight frame.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Ljutic: Thanks for posting the review AND the time it took to plan, shoot, and document your findings.

I've shot NYCLAD loads since Smith & Wesson offered these back in the 80's. S&W's 125gr NYCLAD HP 38+P load was a great choice for 38/357 in light to medium frames. Recoil was very manageable and accuracy was better than "good-enough." I don't have my old test data for that load but remember that it chrono'd well. And into wet newspaper, it expanded well. The S&W 115gr NYCLAD HP 9mm load would occasionally FTF in a S&W 59 (lots of other loads did that too!), but always shot OK in my friend's Browning.

Seeing the differences in performance across bare gel and denim and leather combinations was very interesting - again thanks!

VIP Member
    It's a good round, but Federal has discontinued it. Shame, it is my preferred carry round. Only three boxes left.

I still have a box of the older SWCHP Nyclad 125's. I call them, 'My Precious'

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    It's a good round, but Federal has discontinued it. Shame, it is my preferred carry round. Only three boxes left.
    Last I spoke to Federal in February they hadn't cancelled production - they just do one run a year and this year's was to take place in March this year. FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by Jwalk View Post
    Last I spoke to Federal in February they hadn't cancelled production - they just do one run a year and this year's was to take place in March this year. FWIW
    You state was does that mean they didn't do the run??
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Is ATK/Federal Ammo. headed by Bi-Polar Leadership? They resurrect the Nyclad round from the dead, ostensibly to market demand & then decide to limit it's availabillity as a once a year production run that isn't meeting the demand? I dunno. I'm not the owner of a huge corporation, but seems kinda crazy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    You state was does that mean they didn't do the run??
    No, "was" just means I haven't spoken to them since February and I don't know if their plans changed. I might have changed if I'd been them - maybe extend 9mm production over a niche load like the 38 Special in these shortage days. I did see a 9mm Nyclad a couple of days ago on Gunbot... I doubt they've permanently cancelled it, though.

Speaking of 9mm NYCLAD, I picked this up last year when it was available at ATG just for testing. It appears to be factory reloaded stuff based on the ugly brass. I've never seen the Federal version.

Links