Interesting article in a magazine.

This is a discussion on Interesting article in a magazine. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was grocery shopping and walked by the magazine aisle in my local store. I thumbed through the June/July edition of Handguns magazine(June/July issue already?). ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Interesting article in a magazine.

Interesting article in a magazine.

I was grocery shopping and walked by the magazine aisle in my local store. I thumbed through the June/July edition of Handguns magazine(June/July issue already?). I came across an article on five handgun calibers on the verge of non-existence. Two honorable mentions were the .357 SIG and the .45 GAP. I could possibly understand the .45 GAP, but the .357 SIG does have some loyal fans(I have seen a few of them here). What are some handgun/rifle calibers that you think will go the way of the dinosaur?

2. Remove Ads

well there are few cartridge that are not popular because they are too new or they are too old.Here are some that i think are not so "mainstream". .45 Schofield,8mm Lebel, 400 Corbon, 9x23 Winchester, 9mm flobert and many more

It's a bummer that .357 SIG hasn't caught on across more manufacturers of guns. It's one heck of a decent round, IMO. Great reliability, great ballistics. Can't imagine why it has traditionally been so much more expensive for ammo, given only slight differences in the casing. ~70% more punch than a comparable 9mm. The .400 Corbon is much the same sort of round, bottlenecked with a .40.
    sensei2 and oneshot like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Please don't believe everything you read in print! The .357 Sig is not dead yet!
    MJB_17, 40Bob, blitzburgh and 2 others like this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I think there are more LE agencies who issue/require the .357 Sig than the .45 GAP.
    oneshot and 40Bob like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I would hazard additionally the venerable 45.70, 45.90, .577 just to name three. I have a small collection of various calibers. Single rounds mostly, some fired others it's the complete round. My personal favorite is a complete 37mm AP round I paid $20 for june of 2002. It's from a 1918 Era Hotchkiss gun. Like I've got about 1 1/2 boxes of Remingtonn 22 from when I was just a kid at 18. My stepdad may he RIP gave me a full 20R box of 30.06 AP from the Lake City Ordnance Plant maybe 17 years ago.

Looking back on my life my penchant for WWII collecting is all the fault of my Mom and Dad when I was starting third grade. We moved into a new house. When my Sis and I were turned loose to explore our new digs my first discovery was a WWII Navy web belt w/Signal Flare Pistol w/canvas holster, canteen cover,canteen cup and canteen. Twin 45 pouch, Carlisle Dressing Pouch and Steel Pot with Liner. I still have most of it. All that's missing is the full flap holster.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Prior to the panic, .357 Sig passed the "Walmart" test. It still has a lot of law enforcement use. I don't have data to back it up, but my perception, is that it is actually growing. Absolutely awesome cartridge!

I suppose there are tons of rifle calibers nearing extinction.

Handgun, Idk, .41 Colt? 455 Webley? .30 Luger? What is the criteria? :)

I don't think the 327 Mag. has caught on as well as they hoped. Just doesn't seem like near the interest in revolvers as there used to be, and I think that is sad.

I am really leaning to picking a pistol in .357 SIG. Only three manufacturers seem to have pistols chambered in 357 SIG. Glock, Springfield Armory, and SIG. Might as well stick with Glock since I am used to that platform. Can get a 40 S&W barrel to go with it. How hard are these particular Glocks to find I wonder?

I'm a new convert to the .357 Sig and I really don't see it dying off. There are a lot of LE agencies (USSS, many state police including TX, VA, NM, NC, DE etc., many local agencies such as Dallas PD and so on) that issue or authorize it. 45 GAP is a different can of worms, yes, it does have LE users and a group of civilian users. The problem with it is a)It is intended to fix a problem that really isn't a problem b) If you want a gun that fires it, you basically have to buy a Glock (unless you're one of the 8 people in the world who own an XD chambered for it) and it is almost impossible to find the ammo in stores, regardless of the ammo market supply/demand.

45 GAP is intended to be a flatter flying big bore round that fits in a medium size frame, 357 Sig is intended to closely replicate the performance of 357 Magnum fired from a full size revolver in a semi auto friendly size cartridge. Although .45 ACP is well known for being a great man stopper, it also has been shown to have questionable performance against hard barriers like sheet metal and laminated glass, 357 Sig has shown great performance against the same barriers. As long as Glock keeps making the 37,38 and 39, there will be somebody making ammo for them, but not many. I can count on two fingers the number of times I have seen GAP ammo on the shelf in a store.

The underlying reason for the existence I think is really driven by one intangible: Gaston's ego...

On another note, it annoys me to no end hearing/reading people say that the 357 Sig is a .40 S&W necked down to 9mm...THAT IS NOT TRUE!!! AHHHH!!!!
    They were developed during the same general time period, .40 came out in late '91, 357 Sig in mid '92 and went into service with Texas DPS about a year later.
    onacoma and sensei2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    well there are few cartridge that are not popular because they are too new or they are too old.Here are some that i think are not so "mainstream". .45 Schofield,8mm Lebel, 400 Corbon, 9x23 Winchester, 9mm flobert and many more
    That's a shame! The 9x23 Winchester is awe-inspiring, just wish it was chambered in more pistols. An HK P30S in 9x23 would be godlike...
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    I am really leaning to picking a pistol in .357 SIG. Only three manufacturers seem to have pistols chambered in 357 SIG. Glock, Springfield Armory, and SIG. Might as well stick with Glock since I am used to that platform. Can get a 40 S&W barrel to go with it. How hard are these particular Glocks to find I wonder?
    You can still pick up a HK P2000 SK or a full size HK P2000 in 357 Sig. All the firearms mentioned have a conversation Barrel to .40 S&W. You can even buy a .357 Sig Barrel for the HK P30 40 S&W!

The only knock in the Rag's article was that most .357 SIGs have a barrel shorter than 4"! Every SD round loses velocity and performance in a short barreled pistol, even the vaunted 45 ACP performance degrades when you go from a 5" duty to a 4" barrel or even worst a 3" barrel! So his knock is nothing but Male Bovine Feces!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Do you need new mags if you convert a P30 from .40 S&W to .357 Sig?
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

OD*
    I'll take a watch and wait attitude from experience.

Example;
    "After being pronounced antiquated by self-proclaimed experts many times in the twentieth century, there appears to be no-one who is now claiming that the 1911 pistol will be fading into obscurity any time soon."
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Unless they have recently changed,i know the S.C. highway patrol are issued the 45 Glock Gap.It's been a while back,but,i had the chance to shoot one.I like it,but to big to conceal,for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Do you need new mags if you convert a P30 from .40 S&W to .357 Sig?
    No the standard 40 SW mags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links