As things calm down...

This is a discussion on As things calm down... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can see two things happening. 1) Ammo will once again be more plentiful, although I'd guess the price may not drop quite to before-panic ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Todd_Ohio
  • 1 Post By commonground

Thread: As things calm down...

As things calm down...

I can see two things happening. 1) Ammo will once again be more plentiful, although I'd guess the price may not drop quite to before-panic levels. If the public will pay the higher prices, why drop them all the way back down?

2)Lots of people who bought firearms in the last few months will have lots of brand new, never shot guns that they might be willing to sell after they realize they've bought a paperweight--just like that exercise equipment in the basement. Keep some cash on hand for when these people start asking!
    Life is about service.

2. Remove Ads

Your title may yield the answer. Even though there have been some defeats for the anti gun folks. They are very determined to push on with their agenda. Gun control is just a small part of a much bigger plan to CHANGE the American way of life. We must never to let our guard down. As we go forward, there may not be much of a "calm down". If there is, then, complacency may raise its ugly head again.
    iblearning likes this.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

1) I agree. Ammo won't go back to where it used to be.

2) I'm not entirely sure about this one. A lot of people who bought firearms wanted them because they didn't have one that they needed in the first place. I know that I did, but I didn't really pay much of a premium. Also, the people who were buying guns to flip them and make a profit have probably already done so. Then we have the fact that people were buying guns at an incredibly inflated rate. ...Would you want to sell your new $1500 gun for $900?

Edit: HOWEVER, I do think that distributor pricing will drop back down due to the increase of supply.

I hope ammo gets more plentiful for the people that do train and don't just buy the gun and ammo that just sits on the shelf. However, I do think there will be more people hoarding ammo in the near future so they won't go through what we all are going through right now. So as ammo gets more plentiful, I do think it will be snapped up quickly for the forseeable future to build a bigger stockpile. For me, I always wanted at least 500rds of practice ammo and 100 rds of defensive ammo. Because of last year's ammo run, I am think I should increase that. I found myself only practicing once sine December. I did not want to get below the 500rd mark. Luckily I found and snapped up 150rds FMJ for practice last month so I could go to the range. Still can't find defensive ammo, so I have not shot off the older defensive rounds because I cannot replace them right now.

As for the resaleing of firearms, I guess this will happen in time, but I do know people that bought ARs just before Hurricane Ike for protection and have never shot them. I tried to buy one off of a guy and he did not want to sell it. I think for the gun resale, won't be as big as everyone might think. People bought them in a panic, but I am sure they will keep them for the "just in case" scenario. Even if the gun never leaves the closet.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Ohio View Post
    I can see two things happening. 1) Ammo will once again be more plentiful, although I'd guess the price may not drop quite to before-panic levels. If the public will pay the higher prices, why drop them all the way back down?

2)Lots of people who bought firearms in the last few months will have lots of brand new, never shot guns that they might be willing to sell after they realize they've bought a paperweight--just like that exercise equipment in the basement. Keep some cash on hand for when these people start asking!
    I agree with you on both counts. Some of the best buys I ever got came from this type situation, especially short barrel revolvers.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I have learned my lesson well. I'm methodically building up a supply of components as they become available. Ill make my own ammo from here on out. I've always loaded precision rifle ammo, but bought handgun ammo because it was so cheap and plentiful. To quote the famous poet .... Nevermore

Yeah, I expect prices to drop nearly back to normal but perhaps not all the way down. Once people are used to paying $.40 per round for 9mm, they'll probably consider $.25 per round to be cheap. Forget that it was more like $.20 per round a year ago.

I have reloading gear but I've mostly bought ammo lately due to not having a lot of time to reload. The shortage has me ready to get back to rolling my own. But when/if things return to "normal" I too will adjust my ammo "par" levels to try to prevent running short during the next scare.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Links