Thinking of changing ammo(357 mag)

This is a discussion on Thinking of changing ammo(357 mag) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From what I have begun to understand hornadys 357 158 grain XTP bullet is better for a good trail round but that is what I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Thinking of changing ammo(357 mag)

Thinking of changing ammo(357 mag)

From what I have begun to understand hornadys 357 158 grain XTP bullet is better for a good trail round but that is what I currently have in my GP100 4" for home(apartment) defense and worry about over penetration as well as the loud bang inside which leads me to look at some other options. I was looking at remingtons 125 grain golden saber in 357 mag which looks like a less powerful load on paper as well as buffalo bores 158grain 38 special+p LSWHP which appears comparable based on the ft. lbs they are measured in. If I went with the buffalo bores would it be any less noisy than a lighter 357 mag load?

This is a tangent but I was also considering trying the remington golden saber in their 38 special+p out of my LCR, right now I have buffalo bores short barrel standard pressure LSWCHP which is the only load I have shot and carried for SD but with summer around the corner maybe a less penetrating load would be more desirable, thoughts on that? Also what does it mean to be standard pressure, I havent looked at too many details yet but if buffalo bores standard pressure load is very comparable to most other manufactures +p rating how is it standard or better for the gun?

2. Remove Ads

...the +P .38 SWCHP that Buffalo Bore makes may be hotter than what I've used, which is the old FBI/Chicago load...and the Remington I use is softer lead than W/W and Federal and GA Arms' offerings...
    ...I don't shoot .357 at all because this round has a good track record in actual shootings over many years...and has less recoil, muzzle flash, and noise...though any good round inside's gonna be rough on the ears...
    ...my son when 12 was firing his 3" J snub one day with somebody's 130-gr FMJ loads for practice...very mild...I loaded for him 5 of the Rem +P and he never realized the difference adn hit just as well as with the "milder" practice ammo...
    ...not cheap to buy, but proven performance and user friendly...I've used it in all my 2-4" .357 and .38 for "a few" years...

You said you have ah Ruger 4" GP100; would that be blued or SS? Are you looking for something for ah HD, EDC, or wilderness round?

"...as well as the loud bang inside..."

All your choices are going to be deafening so you just need to pick which one you want to use to "ring" your ears.
    40Bob likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The Remington GS is a good mild 357 load. A lighter bullet will generally penetrate less than a heavier bullet.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

I load the Buffalo Bore 38 +P round you mentioned for home defence in my 4" 620. Very controlable in that gun, but still plenty powerful!
    SR9c
    S&W 620
    Kimber Pro Carry II

If you are after a .357 load, the Federal or Remington 125 gr SJHP loading has an outstanding track record.

The .357 Remington Golden Saber does seem to be a "-P magnum" load...I;d rate it a little hotter than a .38+P, but not as hot as most other 125gr magnum loads.

And, as others have said--you'll be damaging your ears no matter what you shoot, likely permanently--but, considering the situation, that probably is the lesser of two problems.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I think I might give the remington golden sabers a try or buffalo bores tactical lower recoil low flash 357, they say its quieter but im not sure if it will be any quieter than my current hornadys. Also been toying around with replacing my 158 hornady XTPs for buffalo bores 158 grain JHP for outdoor hiking ammo, been reading lots of good things on it.

Links