Defensive Carry banner

.38 +p defense load.... whats everyone carrying?

10K views 53 replies 44 participants last post by  bubbinator 
#1 ·
Picking up a Ruger LCR on sat... been a long while since i carried a snubby.... prob gonna go with the usual 125gr JHP xtp....any other suggestions?

#23 ·
I carry both the Speer Gold Dot 124grn +p and Winchester 158grn +p lswchp (lead semi-wadcutter hollowpoint).

I agree 100% with these choices. The lswchp from Remington is great for the older snub nose and has a proven track record with expansion.

The speer gold dot is about as fast as a 38 will go before pressure makes it i to 357 territory.

My carry 38 snubby is loaded with lswchp I stocked up until before the stupidity.

#4 ·
158 grain lead semi-wadcutters and 158 grain lead semi-wadcutters only, especially in the snubs.

Lately I've been carrying ammunition from a small batch prepared a month or so back. Seemed a little more accurate on target than the factory stuff or maybe I was just in a shooting humor when I gave it a "check-ride." Or, it could all be in my head.

158 grain lead SWC/5.1 grains Unique

2-Inch Barrel
MV: 922 fps
ME: 298 ft./lbs.
ES: 40 fps
SD: 19 fps

4-Inch Barrel
MV: 987 fps
ME: 342 ft./lbs.
ES: 67 fps
SD: 28 fps

There's also a box of Remington +P 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter hollow point loads are around here as well as Winchester's version of the same loading. The Remington version is a bit speedier and seems to have a softer lead bullet than Winchester's version.

Remington +P 158 grain lead SWC

2-Inch Barrel

MV 875 FPS
ME 273 ft./lbs.
ES 61
SD 23

4-Inch Barrel

MV 942 FPS
ME 311 ft./lbs.
ES 66
SD 30

#8 ·
Let's see, I have a few Hornady CD 110 gr +P, a few Winchester PDX1 130 gr +P, and five rounds of Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWC HP +P available for carry in my LCR. These BB feel like they are pushing .357 territory. :image035: :wave:

PDX1 is what's been in my LCR since the last cleaning. I'll be snagging some Remington 38 Special +P 158 Grain (R38S12), the FBI load, if it ever becomes available for mere mortals at some time in the future.

#9 ·
130 grain Winchester Ranger T +P HP in an LCR, wife carries Hornady Critical Defense standard pressure 110 gain in a Smith 642. Also been known to carry hard cast 158 grain SWC or hard cast 148 grain WC, loaded to around 800 fps.

#10 ·
I used to carry the Speer 135 gr. .38 +P short barrel rounds until I saw a few ballistic gel tests for the Remington Golden Saber 125 +P. I was surprised to see the Sabers expand more reliably and penetrate more deeply than the Gold Dots did. Plus the recoil is lighter, they are cheaper and more readily available. I now own a few boxes and it is what I carry in my LCR. Check it out on YouTube and make up your own mind. They are not the gun forum ammo of choice but they work well.

#20 ·
I have one J-frame snub suitable for .38 +P. It's a Model 60-12, which was the last .38 special only Model 60, even though it has the longer .357 cylinder and frame. Bought NIB in summer of '98 with frame mounted firing pin and MIM hammer. Depending on the situation, load it with the following:

Outdoor Hiking- Speer Lawman 158 gr TMJ +P, Double Tap 158 gr LSWC +P or Winchester 158 gr JSP +P (Old Q-load). These loads are for maximum penetration on four-legged hostiles.

Urban- Speer 135 gr Gold Dot +P, Remington Express 158 gr LSWCHP +P, or Winchester Ranger 110 gr JHP +P+. I like the performance of the Ranger, as it shots to the sights (surprisingly) and does a number to test media. It probably would not shoot through a bad guy and the rattle down the 16th Street Mall looking for the first baby stroller in sight.

#24 ·
From snubs I have tested a BUNCH of loads and found the lead semi-wadcutter hollow points in a +P configuration work better than most anything. They expand like a rattle snake opening its jaws up, and have always been spot on in the SP101's I have had.

#27 ·
I exclusively use the Hornady 38+P critical defense but I also like the 158gr Speer Gold Dots. Before you choose an ammo for carry let your cylinder get slightly dirty then test the ammo. If the brass on any brand expands and sticks in the cylinder making speed reloads a pain, drop that brand. For me Remington does this most often, so I avoid that type. Before you pickup, I would strongly consider getting the 357 model, stronger frame. By the way look on Ebay and Youtube and search for BRAIDS holsters. He has a wonderful LCR holster. Order the one that also accomodates the laser grip. The CT laser grip (compact version) feels awesome on my LCR357. I dont need the laser but I sure love the feel of the grip better than the stock one. I kinda hate that stock grip, good luck though. You might find out the LCR likes to short stroke a little easier than other revolvers.

#28 ·
I use whatever shoots to the sights of the gun I'm using. I prefer 158 grain SWC or SWLCHP standard velocity ( I usually load them myself. ) If I feel under gunned with that combination ( which I usually don't ) , I move on to a different platform.

#30 ·
Federal Reduced Recoil 110 gr. for me. Training with a snubnose for CCW is holding the revolver at the ready position, punch towards the silhouette target at 21 feet and empty it as fast as you can pull the trigger. Score the target. If you can score that drill as well with your snubby using +P ammo, carry it. You won't.

#32 ·
I'm in the GD short barrel 135grn. camp.
Whole family uses it in five or six snubs, 442 x2, 642, 637, and the 638 and a Taurus model 85
38 or 2 .357 mag model 19's.

#33 ·
Welcome to the LCR family. You will love it as a pocket carry. Very convenient, light and with a .38 + p rating packs a pretty good punch. As to your question, I put Remington 125 grain Golden Sabres in there and feel pretty good about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.