What defensive ammo does your Smith and Wesson Shield 9mm like?

This is a discussion on What defensive ammo does your Smith and Wesson Shield 9mm like? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always carried Hornady critical duty in my CC guns (glock 19, kahr cm9, and now S&W Shield 9mm). Hornady has always did well ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What defensive ammo does your Smith and Wesson Shield 9mm like?

I have always carried Hornady critical duty in my CC guns (glock 19, kahr cm9, and now S&W Shield 9mm). Hornady has always did well with my first two cc guns. However, it is harder to find Hornady defensive ammo. I read that a lot of people love Golden Sabre for their shield. I would like know what other shield owners have shot. With the price of defensive ammo and the lack of availability, I want to make sure I start with the right ammo selection. I will shoot a few boxes throught it just to make sure my gun likes the ammo. However, I do not want to go through a lot of ammo that is known to give the shield problems.

ive fired xtp, critical defense, and speer gold dots without a problem. i carry gold dots in my g19 and shield 9

thanks for input

yep. hard part for me is finding more SD ammo. kinda running low since i used up a good bit trying them out on my shield that i just bought last week.

VIP Member
    Mine chews up and spits out pretty much whatever I feed it. I feed it mostly Hornady Critical Duty and Winchester Ranger Bonded.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

thanks srings.....with my normal carry ammo running dry... i am force to try different sd ammo...thanks again

Shields like everything you feed them including licorice sticks......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I don't own a Shield but friends of mine that do have told me it will feed whatever diet you choose to give it.

I saw a Shield 9mm being sold in a LGS last weekend at the low price of $799...and no it wasn't a two pack of them like they sell toothpaste.
    koosh0122 likes this.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Mine has standard-pressure 147-gr. Federal HST. I have a very small stockpile of it... about 200 rounds.
    Hakkaa päälle!

The stuff that goes boom.

Everything that I have put in it, it has liked... so I am now looking for something heavier than a 115-grain. Right now, I have two 8 round mags full of 115-gr UMC JHP, and a 7 and a 8 round mag with 105 grain Federal Premium Guard Dog EFMJ.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    It may not be so much of what you want to use as much as it is what you can find to use.

As ammo is sparse of late. And depending on where you do find it, it can either be scalped or reasonably priced.

From what I hear though, that may not present so much of ah problem with the Shield; as it will be with other firearms. Because it, the Shield, doesn't seem to be ah fussy eater.

good~luck in your search for 9mm anything
    koosh0122 likes this.

147gr+P Federal HSTs work fine in my brother's Shield.

Mine's liked everything I've fed it. I settled on 124gr Federal HSTs in my Shield, and I went with the 147gr in my longer barrel 9mms.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I saw a Shield 9mm being sold in a LGS last weekend at the low price of $799...and no it wasn't a two pack of them like they sell toothpaste.
    If anyone wants one for $799 PLEASE let me know! I'd sell mine in a sec for 800 bucks and pretty sure my dad and both my boys would too! So $1596.00 some out there can own 4 Shields!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links