9mm steel casings

This is a discussion on 9mm steel casings within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ran across some Wolf 9mm at an online retailer and the steel casing part made me hesitate (and the ammo was gone by the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 9mm steel casings

9mm steel casings

I ran across some Wolf 9mm at an online retailer and the steel casing part made me hesitate (and the ammo was gone by the time I decided to try it).

Is this OK with most guns? Mines a Kahr CW9. I've heard of people doing fine with steel casing rounds in AR-15s and AKs, but hadn't heard of it in 9mm.
    Life is about service.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't buy it because I reload my brass.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Same situation as OLDVET. I also have stayed away from steel cases because I have a decent idea of how brass does its job during firing. I have no idea what steel cases do during firing. If times got hard enough and it was my only option, steel it would be.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I've shot close to 1000 rounds of steel cased ammo in my G30, and never had any issues, but after reading about problems with the brand I quit using it, not worth it to save a few bucks, then have it cause problems... with your weapon...

VIP Member
    I don't think it would be a problem. I reload ( brass ) but I sometimes purchase lower cost steel cased ammo. My range/club is all out doors. In the snow and wet spring season I don't have to chase my brass.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I've bought the occasional box of steel-case ammo when nothing else was available, or what was available was way too expensive. As a rule, though, I avoid it for several reasons:

1) It tends to be dirty.

2) It tends to be pretty inconsistent wrt performance. When you can feel a distinct difference in recoil between rounds out of the same box, you know that it's not exactly match grade stuff.

3) It will accelerate the wear on the gun (chamber, extractor, and ejector) compared to brass-cased ammo.

4) I like to reload when I can, though I haven't done any lately. I prefer (and save) brass cases.

5) In years past, there was a lot of foreign mil-surp steel-cased ammo around that had corrosive priming. I don't think that's too much of a problem these days, but a lot of that stuff had minimal markings on the boxes or cases, so it could be tricky figuring out just what you had (e.g. production dates, place of origin, etc.). I just prefer to steer clear of the "unknown quantity".

I do run a little Wolf, Bear, or Herter's through my SKS's and AK once in a while, and will use it in my Mosin, but that's about it. My higher-end guns will never experience it.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Even if you don't reload, you can still collect your brass, and sell/trade it to reloaders. It might not fetch you a lot (us reloaders are pretty frugal) but it might be enough to buy a box of ammo or so. Not too bad for just picking up after/while you shoot and throwing them in an old container.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't buy it because I reload my brass.
    This. I'll use it in a pinch if I really don't have reasonable options. I avoid it since it's dirty ammo and I think the chances are higher of an over/under charged round. But still, the odds are low enough for me to use it if need be.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Before you use steel ammo in your gun you may want to read this: I know this talks about Rifles but still good read full of good informaiton.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I've shot a thousand rounds or so of Rooski 22 in most of my 22s over the years. It was way el cheapo at $10 per 500 in 1995. I still have 1000R of it.

I have a couple coffee cans full of brass and I don't reload. It must be the Pack rat in me.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    The indoor range that I visit doesn't allow steel cased ammo, so I don't buy it.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Its great for shooting paper.... don't trust you life with it unless that's all you can find.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

Sounds like I'm glad I passed on it.
    Life is about service.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Before you use steel ammo in your gun you may want to read this: I know this talks about Rifles but still good read full of good informaiton.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/
    After having watched the vid I'm kinda glad now I've only got 1500R of steel cased ammo for my AK47. The picture of 40,000R on the back of that truck gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot that russian steel case .40 or 9mm in my semi auto pistols. I don't have any issue with that steel case ammo in 7.62x39 with a AK47. It probably even prefers it.

I've always been told that steel cased ammo is hard on extractors. I generally don't use it.
    Cheesewiz likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links