Golden saber .357? Are they worth it?

This is a discussion on Golden saber .357? Are they worth it? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok not trying to start anything but the title might catch some attention. I noticed that they are about $5 a box more than most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Golden saber .357? Are they worth it?

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar

Golden saber .357? Are they worth it?

Ok not trying to start anything but the title might catch some attention. I noticed that they are about $5 a box more than most defensive ammo but the load itself is a lower powered 357 load. I see very mixed reviews on it so I was wondering. I'm just curious on the ammo itself. I currently cant carry but do have a few different types of ammo on hand for my guns. Currently have:

Hornady-140gr flextip( more of a hunting round)
    Blackhills-158gr jhp
    Buffalo bore-158 jhp shortbarrel
    Rem/umc- 125gr sp(love shooting these things)

Could a mod please move this. I thought I was in the ammo section when I posted it. Sorry.
    Last edited by Eric357; April 25th, 2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: I goofed.

2. Remove Ads

Not IMO.... I have never seen the Golden sabers at a decent price, especially when there are other rounds that cost less and perform superbly.... IE gold dot, Hornady, federal etc.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

well... just how much is your life worth?
    glockman10mm likes this.

From what I have seen in living tissue, the Golden Saber is an excellent bullet. Whether or not there are better is debatable, but I have made it a mission to hunt deer using every brand of bullet and design made, and I would choose that bullet over any other HP on the market, except maybe Hornady XTP bullets, not the plastic tip crap.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I don't know if they are any better or worse than similar defense rounds. But.... I don't really care if there is a $5-10 difference because my 357 only holds 6 rounds and even with 2 more speedloaders its still only one box. Or a handful to keep on hand. If I'm not shooting people I am shooting range ammo. And if I shoot more than 20 rounds from a 357 at people I'm hanging with the wrong kind of people.
    USM1976 likes this.

I geuss my wording wasnt the best. I'm not overlly concerned with the overall price for defensive ammo. I geuss my thinking was they cost more but were watered down(for lack of better words.) So I was wondering if the bullet performance was actually any better than the other rounds out there.

If you get Leo prices they are. Buddy just got boxes of 50 for $14 each. Otherwise no unless that what works in you gun well. Or thats all you can find now??

I believe that they are designed to operate best at the lowered velocity, that is objective. Back in the 80's we used the Remington 125 Grn JHP's with the thin scalloped edges. They were hot! and they fragmented badly which caused a massive wound, the BG's did not take too many of those hits.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

40Bob, you just raised another question I was wondering about .As far as fragmenting is concerned. I often hear most people talk about having ammo that is bonded so it doesnt fragment or so the jacket and core doesnt seperate. Wouldnt it be better for the core and jacket to seperate causing mre damage or am I not understanding wounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    40Bob, you just raised another question I was wondering about .As far as fragmenting is concerned. I often hear most people talk about having ammo that is bonded so it doesnt fragment or so the jacket and core doesnt seperate. Wouldnt it be better for the core and jacket to seperate causing mre damage or am I not understanding wounds?
    when a core and jacket seperate, it potentially r4sults in two projectiles, however, the copper jacket has minimal mass and therefore will not maintain velocity well. The core will have decreased mass, and a lot of energy will be spent in the seperation.This results in lowerd penetration capabilty, which means it is harder to hit the vitals. Also a solid bullet is less likely to deflect off bone.
    91wm6 and Eric357 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I have the golden sabre in my glock 27,shot some to see how they perform at range...nice but plenty others as nice

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    when a core and jacket seperate, it potentially r4sults in two projectiles, however, the copper jacket has minimal mass and therefore will not maintain velocity well. The core will have decreased mass, and a lot of energy will be spent in the seperation.This results in lowerd penetration capabilty, which means it is harder to hit the vitals. Also a solid bullet is less likely to deflect off bone.
    Thank you, this explains alot.

I know its an old thread but didnt want to start a new one. I just seen these Rem GS 125 for $18 a box. Doesnt include shipping and I dont need them but still a decent price.

It's been a while since I chronographed/wetpack tested any but out of a 2" and 3" barrel, they performed about like a 9mm+p 124 GS.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    From what I have seen in living tissue, the Golden Saber is an excellent bullet. Whether or not there are better is debatable, but I have made it a mission to hunt deer using every brand of bullet and design made, and I would choose that bullet over any other HP on the market, except maybe Hornady XTP bullets, not the plastic tip crap.
    Just a FYI
    Remingtion used to make a hunting bullet designed after the Golden Saber and the called Core Lokt. The .357 was a 165 grain at a claimed 1290 fps with a copper jacket similar to the Golden Saber. It was accurate out of my Desert Eagle but I never got the chance to use it on anything but paper.

How does the Flex Tip shoot out of a handgun??
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links