Lets Fess Up! Who has bought ammo in the past 5 months they don't need?

This is a discussion on Lets Fess Up! Who has bought ammo in the past 5 months they don't need? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who has bought ammo in the past 5 months they don't need? I'm guilty. I've bought maybe 300 rounds of 9mm's, 200 rounds of .223's ...

View Poll Results: Fess Up!! Who has bought ammo in the past 5 months they don't need?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have

48 25.81%
  • I have not

138 74.19%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Lets Fess Up! Who has bought ammo in the past 5 months they don't need?

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Lets Fess Up! Who has bought ammo in the past 5 months they don't need?

Who has bought ammo in the past 5 months they don't need?

I'm guilty. I've bought maybe 300 rounds of 9mm's, 200 rounds of .223's and 100 7.62's in the past few months over what I consider enough for me to have on hand and shoot when I want to.

2. Remove Ads

I bought about 300 rds of .45. IDK if I need any more than 3 mags worth, that I carry, but NEED, has never been the name of the game.

Or are you referencing "I bought .38s but don't own a .38"?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Need? I always buy ammo I don't 'need'... I buy ammo that I want, whether I 'need' it or not is not of consideration.

You only 'need' ammo if you're a competitive shooter, eat only what you kill, or are otherwise in survival mode.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I have never seen ammo that I don't need.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    I actually found pre-panic prices on .38 spl 158gr lswc, go I picked up 1000 rnds (yes, I do own firearms in that caliber). Need? Well I'm replenishing a little bit of reserve that I had dug into... I'm not sure that counts as 'need' though.

Other than that, I haven't bought a single round this year.

{edit} I just realized that I lied. I picked up a few misc boxes at a gun show recently. 'Didn't need any of it, but it was good prices in hard-to-find calibers. This is how I normally buy ammo. I'm always in buying mode because I'm always in shooting mode.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Buy some every time it presents itself. 9mm,40 s&w,.223 and 762x39

I have been buying anything in 9mm and 380 I see. I don't need it right now, but if I run out I will need it. If it was readily available I would not buy everything I see. I'm afraid of wanting to go to the range and not finding ammo.

I have about 4,000 rounds. I'm not hoarding, I'm shooting at the range and taking a class that requires 1,500 rounds.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    A guy I work with was having some financial problems and had to sell his Sig M400. He had 300 rounds of American Eagle 5.56 left. I was nice enough to take it off his hands for 40 bucks!

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Sorry but everything I buy is what I need! Either for training others or my personal training.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I usually keep 1000rds of ammo in most calibers on hand. I don't think that's hoarding. I just like to be able to take a class or go shoot whenever I want without having to go to the shop first and roll the dice with their current inventory. I shoot some of it then I replace it. I've set limits to what i'm willing to spend during this stupid shortage and that has certainly curbed my ability to replace what I shoot. I've purchased 400rds of 5.56/223 and 100rds of 9mm this week though at 50 and 28 cents per round though. 50 cents a round for 5.56 isn't great but its not far from pre December prices either. 28 cents for 9mm was for CCI aluminum.

I'll walk away from ammo I don't need or that I seem to be able to readily get but lately I've been buying my limit because the prices seem to have dropped to near reasonable limits around Louisville and I'm shooting more again. .

The only ammo I don't need is ammo for a caliber I don't own. I don't buy that. Any ammo for a caliber I own is ammo I need, regardless of quantity.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

VIP Member
    "Need" is a very subjective concept. For clarification, I have never bought ammo which it was not my intention to shoot at some point.
    BamaT likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I hoarded before the craze.
    wmhawth and BamaT like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I buy anytime I see a box of 45acp at decent prices. I've bought around 300 rounds or so in the last 2 weeks at pre panic prices just by happening to luck onto it in various stores. I'm no hoarder by any means, but I'm trying to get where I can keep a 500 round reserve without having to pay gouge prices.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    A guy I work with was having some financial problems and had to sell his Sig M400. He had 300 rounds of American Eagle 5.56 left. I was nice enough to take it off his hands for 40 bucks!
    That's .13 a round. Where's that pesky Don't Like button.
    Fisher10 and LizAdelle like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links