9mm +P vs Nato Rounds

9mm +P vs Nato Rounds

This is a discussion on 9mm +P vs Nato Rounds within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm kinda new to semi auto's and my questions are; Is there much difference between +P and Nato rounds ? Also if a new gun ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kilowatt3

Thread: 9mm +P vs Nato Rounds

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar

9mm +P vs Nato Rounds

I'm kinda new to semi auto's and my questions are; Is there much difference between +P and Nato rounds ? Also if a new gun needs x number of rounds to be broken in, would shooting higher pressure ammo hasten the process (assuming the gun can handle it) ?

Two overviews of 9mm, including the NATO and +P variants:

9x19mm Parabellum @ Wikipedia

9mm NATO vs 9mm Luger @ GunNuts.net
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

While +P might induce some small measure of additional stress to pistol components or even batter the gun over time, it really wouldn't contribute to a shorter break-in period. That's not to say that +P ammunition should be avoided in a quality gun. Use it for defensive purposes and shoot enough for familiarization.

I'd rather get to know the gun through shooting it with larger quantities of standard velocity ammunition, obtained for the same price as small boxes of premium +P ammunition.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies guys. I accidentally bought 4 boxes of 124gr. Nato rounds and wondered if I could use it up safely. I did put one round in the mag of my heavier 9mm and never even notice a difference between it and the rest of the 115gr. FMJ rounds. This quote from a posted link:

"The short answer is that an occasional diet of 9mm NATO isn’t going to hurt your gun, provided it’s a well made modern gun. I certainly would not put 9mm NATO ammo into a Hi-Point, because I don’t want to eat the slide and I don’t trust a blowback operated gun with a zinc slide to stay together. But if you’re running a Springfield Armory 1911 in 9mm, or a well made pistol from a well made manufacturer you should be fine."

The gun I fired that Nato round from was a Hi Point C9 and it handled it very well. In fact I was reluctant to fire one in my Kel Tec PF9 because of the presumed increase in recoil. I do not get the attitude of some gun owners who say the Hi Point is a POS just because it didn't cost $500+, but that is for another thread.
    Thanks again for the replies, I will treat the Nato rounds as +P's.

I'll save some people the reading time and tell you the simple answer: 9mm NATO spec is slightly higher pressure (about 4%) than standard 9x19mm or 9mm Luger. This is because the NATO technical manual dictates this, the thinking is that the ammo is usable in both sidearms and sub machine guns (MP5).

I personally love the Winchester NATO ammo, it has a nice little snap to it, not too much, just enough. Also, 124gr is my preferred weight in 9mm.

Don't know if this is accurate, but I have been told the primers are a bit harder with NATO loads.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Don't know if this is accurate, but I have been told the primers are a bit harder with NATO loads.
    The Israeli 9mm being offered online right now is designed for submachine guns, and does have hard primers. Very unreliable in my buddies CZ.

The Winchester NATO runs great...

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I'll save some people the reading time and tell you the simple answer: 9mm NATO spec is slightly higher pressure (about 4%) than standard 9x19mm or 9mm Luger...
    ...which puts it comfortably below 9mm +P pressure. It should be fine in any modern 9mm gun.
    MJB_17 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Same here. Most of what goes thru my 9mms (Glock, HK, SIG) is the Winchester 124 gr. NATO stuff, wear is identical to when I used to use the 115 gr WWB stuff for practice.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Links