LCP defense round

LCP defense round

This is a discussion on LCP defense round within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi thinking of picking up a Ruger LCP .380 today. Anytips on defense rounds that have worked well in this little guy? Thanks all in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: LCP defense round

LCP defense round

Hi thinking of picking up a Ruger LCP .380 today. Anytips on defense rounds that have worked well in this little guy?
    Thanks all in advance

The standard 95 gr flat nose. The 380 is a fine Defense round for CC but it is no power house it is just not meant for all those fancy hollow point magic bullets and 100 pages of gel test data swayed by personal bias
    Steel house door 21 feet and it went through the 7/16 plywood behind that the black spot was a nose painted on a face that was the aim point. If that don't stop the BG no round will.

10thmtn, BugDude and bmcgilvray like this.

Distinguished Member
    I always like Hornady FTX Critical Defense. Rounded bullet helps ensure good feeding and it is designed to work well in small guns with less recoil than other ammo. Also more readily available in local stores and cheaper too. Take a look at the various ballistic gel tests on YouTube. Here is typical results and better than other often mentioned ammo.

9MM-FTX-Gelatin.jpg
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

If it works don't fix it!!
    MasterGadgets likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I always like Hornady FTX Critical Defense. Rounded bullet helps ensure good feeding and it is designed to work well in small guns with less recoil than other ammo. Also more readily available in local stores and cheaper too. Take a look at the various ballistic gel tests on YouTube. Here is typical results and better than other often mentioned ammo.

9MM-FTX-Gelatin.jpg
    I'm normally not a fan of throwing good money away on fancy boutique rounds, but this is an instance where I like Hornady as well. Not so much for the wiz-bang-jello-killing, but because of its extremely conical shaped round, that makes it a no-brainer for the LCP to feed it properly. It's just not likely to jam up with those expensive little wonder-pills in there.

VIP Member
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

In the modern climate you use what's available. That would be Hornady 90 gr XTP for me, runs fine. Probably the Hornady CD if it ever becomes available around here again or just about any "premium" ammo that I can find. I'm not too picky as long as it runs.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

I am not a ballistics expert but I have always wondered about JHP bullets expansion in a .380, due to its rather anemic perormance. If it were me, I would prob just carry FMJ to make sure I get penetration. IMO, I would rather have penetration over expansion in such a small round, simply because good expansion means nothing if it cant penetrate, and since it takes power to achieve both, which the .380 does not have lots of, I would pick the most important factor to me, and that is penetration.
    Nix likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I have loaded my LCP up with Speer Gold Dots, Winchester PDX1 and WWB during colder months. I still have the WWB flat points in the LCP today. I am considering sticking with the 95gr flat point WWB because of penetration.
    Taurahe and gottabkiddin like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Hornady Critical Defense for me, haven't had any issues with it. I haven't seen any at the store in months but if you can find it, it does well in the lcp.

standard pressure buffalo bore 380 100gr hard cast

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I am not a ballistics expert but I have always wondered about JHP bullets expansion in a .380, due to its rather anemic perormance. If it were me, I would prob just carry FMJ to make sure I get penetration. IMO, I would rather have penetration over expansion in such a small round, simply because good expansion means nothing if it cant penetrate, and since it takes power to achieve both, which the .380 does not have lots of, I would pick the most important factor to me, and that is penetration.
    This is the same thing we hear over and over again: 380 acp is just too anemic for a proper defense round. I disagree: I measure 13 inches from front to back center mass. Any of these rounds would leave me feeling very penetrated. The expansion is good so I wonder why there is still so much prejudice against this round in this era of modern ammunition. Is it just echos from yesterday?

I want my defense rounds to penetrate to vital organs and impart every single ounce of energy into a "punch" to the point I hit. Say what you want but any of the rounds in the linked video would do more damage than FMJ that would likely over penetrate and likely carry a percentage of its energy out the back with it.

There is also the issue that it will not expand properly... Hmmmm.... well does FMJ expand at all ? What would be the difference if a round of gold dot didn't properly expand... would it not just imitate FMJ rounds and give you that all important penetration?

380ACP Slow Motion Video

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

The fact of the matter is that the .380 Auto is a reasonable "get off me" defensive gun, particularly if it is the only gun you can carry. If you can find them, Winchester Ranger 95 gr. Type T has reasonable numbers; I can assure you, in this type of scenario it will "penetrate". For use inside 3-5 yards, it can be highly effective, but as with all guns, shot placement counts. Just last week I saw a 28 year old attempting to rob a store; clerk shot him in the lower left chest (trajectory missed the heart) with a .40 S&W. He ran from the scene, got in his car and drove home. His girlfriend called EMS and he was taken to the ER---he walked out of the hospital (to jail) 2 days later. Moral is: Don't let caliber alone make you believe you can put down the bad guy. Shot placement is key whether it's a .22 LR or a .44 Mag.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Here ya go. Enjoy. You'll have to scroll down the page to the 380 tests.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Ammo tests
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

90gr Gold Dots for me.
    Hog's Head Ballistics - Speer Gold Dot 90gr .380 ACP - YouTube What's not to like?
    Hornady's Critical Defense seems to perform well, but reports of reliability problems keep me away.

I consider the 16"+ penetration (along with a very narrow wound profile) you'll get with FMJ rounds to be a liability.
    latentcarry likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links