Small Primers 45 ACP

This is a discussion on Small Primers 45 ACP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it true that the 45's with the small pistol primers works better in a striker fire pistol like a glock or Springfield XDS. Thanks ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Small Primers 45 ACP

Small Primers 45 ACP

Is it true that the 45's with the small pistol primers works better in a striker fire pistol like a glock or Springfield XDS.
    Thanks

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have had the same good luck with both small and large pistol primers in Glocks - well in all my .45s. The attached chart shows the performance of a certain load I was working on in 3 different weapons. These were all shooting the exact same load in both small and large primers for all guns on the same day in the same conditions. The small primers produced more consistent results across all weapons and were slightly faster in barrels shorter than 5". There were 20 rounds shot for each gun/ammo combination and the data are the average.

45Info.jpg
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Primer size has no influence on the firing mechanism. That is just nonsense.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I don't dispute ksholder's data, but as a career test engineer I have to wonder what other variables may be involved.

So far, the only small-primer .45 ACP loads I've seen are the "green" - a/k/a/non-toxic - Win and Fed loads. I typically become aware of them when my press chokes when trying to seat a LP primer in a SP hole. But they are becoming more common so I've started saving the cases. When I get a few hundred I'll start reloading them to see how they do.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've reloaded and shot both in my Glock with no discernible difference.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I don't dispute ksholder's data, but as a career test engineer I have to wonder what other variables may be involved.

So far, the only small-primer .45 ACP loads I've seen are the "green" - a/k/a/non-toxic - Win and Fed loads. I typically become aware of them when my press chokes when trying to seat a LP primer in a SP hole. But they are becoming more common so I've started saving the cases. When I get a few hundred I'll start reloading them to see how they do.
    Blazer brass is all small primer. Federal and Speer are going all small primer. I've been reloading these for years. The .45 ACP doesn't need a large primer. A small primer will do everything the cartridge needs.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Humm...I've reloaded a few thousand over the years and the .45acp ammo that I've always encountered used a LARGE pistol
    primer ONLY. Small would have fallen out of the case...or caused a flash hole blowback-where flash fire comes back around
    it and can come through the firing pin channel and possibly burn heck out of your sighting eyeball....not a good situation.
    Unless they are making cases for small primers, I'd probably not try this. 9mm uses small primers. Also, I've found the best
    primers are Federal, but you cannot load them using any LEE equipment without risking an explosion. CCI and Winchester work
    well too, but the Federal are little bit hotter and their formula is as guarded as the Coke Cola formula.

Midsouth is having a special on RWS sp brass.brass.jpg
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

VIP Member
    They do and have bee
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Humm...I've reloaded a few thousand over the years and the .45acp ammo that I've always encountered used a LARGE pistol
    primer ONLY. Small would have fallen out of the case...or caused a flash hole blowback-where flash fire comes back around
    it and can come through the firing pin channel and possibly burn heck out of your sighting eyeball....not a good situation.
    Unless they are making cases for small primers, I'd probably not try this. 9mm uses small primers. Also, I've found the best
    primers are Federal, but you cannot load them using any LEE equipment without risking an explosion. CCI and Winchester work
    well too, but the Federal are little bit hotter and their formula is as guarded as the Coke Cola formula.
    They do, and have been, making small primer pocket brass in .45s for some time now. I'm glad you armed us of not using Federal primers while using Lee equipment. After doing so for many, many rounds, I'll stop now...

Someday I'll have a .45. For the last few years I have been collecting .45 brass. The majority of them have pockets for large primers but about 40% have the small primer pockets. It's kind of annoying having to sort them, but if all .45s are going the way of small primers, it will be nice only having to buy 1 type of primer.

VIP Member
    I reload using both size primers, so it's no big deal to me to take a couple of minutes and separate the two.
    Tubby45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Primer size has no influence on the firing mechanism. That is just nonsense.
    I have to agree with Tubby45.
    I received an e-mail flyer advertising small-primer .45 brass that was "optimized for striker-fired pistols" and that might be where the OP's question comes from. (Don't know for sure but I remember reading the sales pitch with a jaundiced and very skeptical eye)
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

I tried very hard to keep all the variables the same across the board. All rounds were loaded at the same time with the same set up. Every load was measured for the amount powder with a reliable digital scale. Before I selected rounds to be used in each weapon, I mixed the rounds for each primer size so that they would be random from where they were in the loading order.

At the range all shooting was done on the same day, in the same half hour of that day and under the same weather conditions. I preloaded all the magazines I was going to need before I started shooting. I shot all of the large primers first so that each Gun would have a chance to cool back down before shooting the other primers. The Chrono was recording everything for download later, so I didn't have to waste time writing down stats during the shooting. I'm not sure what else I could've controlled. At least for the load I was testing, it does appear that the small primers provide a smaller spread of velocities. I am, however, interested in any input you may have.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Links