Tarnished brass???

Tarnished brass???

This is a discussion on Tarnished brass??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This seemed like possibly the right forum to ask this question. Back in very early Jan I got in a hurry while cleaning a gun. ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By TX expat
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 1 Post By Hopyard

Thread: Tarnished brass???

VIP Member

Tarnished brass???

This seemed like possibly the right forum to ask this question.

Back in very early Jan I got in a hurry while cleaning a gun. I can't recall if I just sprayed break free
    down the barrel or if I ran some Hoppes #9 through, but didn't bother to run a cloth swab through to
    dry everything.

I loaded the gun, put one in the pipe, and set it in a draw until about 3 weeks ago. So, let's say
    3 1/3 months passed before I looked at the gun again.

I was heading out of town (not planning to carry this one) and so I broke it down to hide the barrel, receiver, slide, recoil spring and guide rod, in various hiding places in my home while away.

When I racked the slide back to extract the round in the pipe, I noticed a gooey sticky mess, and the
    brass was tarnished--- not green, but not exactly what the brass should look like.

OK, so I've thoroughly cleaned and reassembled the gun, but I'm stuck with the cartridge with the tarnished brass.

Anyone think it is not safe to use?

Anyone think it probably is OK?

I can chuck it next time I'm at the range, and probably that would be the safest option.

I'd like to get opinions and ask too if anyone has had a similar problem.

Any opinions on whether it was Break Free or Hoppes?
    Last edited by Hopyard; May 3rd, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I watched a video; I think it was Hickock45, but don't remember now. He put a drop of Hoppes right on the primer of 20 rounds and let them sit for 6 weeks. They all fired just fine.

I would use it for a range round if it were me.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Hop, certain chemicals can react with brass and make it turn. I have had this happen before. No big deal.

To ease your mind, run a patch thru the barrel several times, and chamber a new round. Put the old one aside for shooting off next range trip.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I wouldn't be concerned about it. Neither Break Free or Hoppes should damage any alloy, so I don't believe you've any fear of having a case failure or something like that. Now if you dipped the ammo in ammonia then you might have reason to be concerned.

On an inquisitive note, you break down weapons and hide parts like a squirrel hiding nuts for winter? Buy a gun safe man! What happens when you forget where you stashed the barrel! I'd spend a week trying to get everything disassembled just so I could leave town and then about a month figuring out where I put it all
    Hopyard likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I wouldn't be concerned about it. Neither Break Free or Hoppes should damage any alloy, so I don't believe you've any fear of having a case failure or something like that. Now if you dipped the ammo in ammonia then you might have reason to be concerned.

On an inquisitive note, you break down weapons and hide parts like a squirrel hiding nuts for winter? Buy a gun safe man! What happens when you forget where you stashed the barrel! I'd spend a week trying to get everything disassembled just so I could leave town and then about a month figuring out where I put it all
    I'd lose the key to the safe or forget the combination. It takes less than a minute to take this one apart and another couple of
    minutes to squirrel the parts away. I then type a note about where everything is located so I can't forget. I put the note
    on Google Drive, and thus if I get hit by a BIG Truck while traveling, my son can figure out where the pieces (and other stuff of value) are located.

P.S. Before I figured out that I needed to write a note and upload it to a safe location, I did once go nuts trying to find the
    recoil spring. One time cured me.
    TX expat likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Hop, certain chemicals can react with brass and make it turn. I have had this happen before. No big deal.

To ease your mind, run a patch thru the barrel several times, and chamber a new round. Put the old one aside for shooting off next range trip.
    Exactly what I have done, except I wasn't sure I should fire it at the range. I was concerned about a case failure, but I see
    Tx Expat feels that isn't likely. I still might just chuck the round when at the range.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I'd lose the key to the safe or forget the combination. It takes less than a minute to take this one apart and another couple of
    minutes to squirrel the parts away. I then type a note about where everything is located so I can't forget. I put the note
    on Google Drive, and thus if I get hit by a BIG Truck while traveling, my son can figure out where the pieces (and other stuff of value) are located.

P.S. Before I figured out that I needed to write a note and upload it to a safe location, I did once go nuts trying to find the
    recoil spring. One time cured me.
    Your son must not be much of a prankster because if I had that sort of opportunity when my father was alive, I'd have been in there editing the location of a few key parts!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Your son must not be much of a prankster because if I had that sort of opportunity when my father was alive, I'd have been in there editing the location of a few key parts!
    I think at 36 he has grown past the prankster stage. OTOH, with 1600 miles between us I couldn't easily water board the locations out of him. I'd be reduced to begging Mrs H to quietly ask him to be nice.
    TX expat likes this.
    Andrew Jackson

Links