Grain of ammo

This is a discussion on Grain of ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys. New here and to guns. How does grain affect a bullet? I've seen 9mm in 115,124,147 etc. thanks in advance....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Grain of ammo

Grain of ammo

Hi guys. New here and to guns. How does grain affect a bullet? I've seen 9mm in 115,124,147 etc. thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Grain is a measure of weight.

Therefore, in your 9mm example, a 147gr bullet would be heavier and (assuming the same construction--jacketed lead, for example) longer than the 115 gr and the 124gr bullets.

There can be differences in accuracy and, when it comes to defensive ammo, terminal performance.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Moderator
    Generally, the heavier the bullet, the slower it will go. The lighter the bullet, the faster it will be.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Heavier bullets can have more momentum when plowing through your target. Heavier bullets can also cause you to have a higher point of impact from a handgun but that isn't much of an issue with handgun distances.

Most 'cheap' factory ammo you'll find on shelves is 115gr, because lead is kind of expensive. The bullet is the most expensive component in ammunition. I reload almost exclusively with 124 and 147gr bullets. I prefer the recoil impulse and I believe heavier bullets give me better accuracy in my handguns.

VIP Member
    1 grain = 0.00228571429 ounces
    115 gr = 0.260 oz
    124 gr - 0.280 oz
    147 gr = 0.336 oz
    OnePlink likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Are you ever opening a can of worms! I suggest you do a forum search on bullet weights and I expect you will find lots of past threads about this subject.

In general; lighter bullets go faster but have less penetration, heavier bullets go slower but have more penetration.
    CJ_mp40c, msgt/ret and Nmuskier like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    ... The bullet is the most expensive component in ammunition. ...
    I disagree. Unless you are using reclaimed brass, the brass cartridge is, by far, the most expensive component.

Of course, most of us that reload, retrieve our brass so we hardly ever have to buy more.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaMike View Post
    Hi guys. New here and to guns. How does grain affect a bullet? I've seen 9mm in 115,124,147 etc. thanks in advance.
    We need to know more about what you're asking. 'grain' is a weight measurement. After that, the question you're asking needs to be clarified. Right now, it's a bit like asking "how does pounds affect a football player?"
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    1 grain = 0.00228571429 ounces
    115 gr = 0.260 oz
    124 gr - 0.280 oz
    147 gr = 0.336 oz
    Troy or Avoirdupois ?

I guess my question would be, does a higher grain have more stopping power, or is it better used for self defense.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I guess my question would be, does a higher grain have more stopping power, or is it better used for self defense.
    Some will argue to use the largest bullet possible or will go with speed and a lighter bullet. I go with what I can shoot the best!

Stopping power depend on where you place your shot! If you shoot the BG in the leg or arm with a 147 gr will it stop a BG faster than a 115 gr to the head?

I personally carry a 125 gr during the spring, summer, and fall. When we take a winter trip to a cold area I go up to my 147 gr. But I'm EDC a 357 Sig.

Here is the formula for calculating the energy of a bullet.

Energy (ft. Lbs.) = (BW x V2)/Constant

BW = Bullet weight in grains
    V = Muzzle Velocity
    Constant = 450400

Here are links to Speer and Winchester Ranger T-Series which have the data point of their ammunition.

Speer Ammo - Ballistics Tables

http://winchesterle.com/Products/han...s/default.aspx

I personally go with the ammunition I can put on the stop button with timely follow up shots! There is no such thing as a one shot stop!
    Taurahe likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Too many variables, such as bullet design, velocity, etc. to give a meaningful answer.

I do, however, suggest you unlearn the term "stopping power"--it's a null phrase. I'll add that energy figures have very, very VERY little bearing at how effective a bullet will be, terminally speaking.

I also suggest that you read this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

It'll probably answer most of the questions you have.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    For personal defensive purposes I go with the heaviest bullet (most mass).

I am not a ballistics expert by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems to me the more mass the more stopping power. I also worry about over penetration Therefore the more mass, moving at a slower velocity, seems more likely to encounter more resistence thus is lees apt to over penetrate.

However as many have pointed out the real key is whether the ammo you are using in your defensive handgun(s) works flawlessly time, after time after time.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    For personal defensive purposes I go with the heaviest bullet (most mass).

I am not a ballistics expert by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems to me the more mass the more stopping power. I also worry about over penetration Therefore the more mass, moving at a slower velocity, seems more likely to encounter more resistence thus is lees apt to over penetrate.

However as many have pointed out the real key is whether the ammo you are using in your defensive handgun(s) works flawlessly time, after time after time.
    Actually, all things being equal, (same bullet type--ie, 115gr Gold Dot vs 147gr Gold Dot), the heavier bullet will penetrate more than the lighter one. More mass=more momentum, harder to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I disagree. Unless you are using reclaimed brass, the brass cartridge is, by far, the most expensive component.

Of course, most of us that reload, retrieve our brass so we hardly ever have to buy more.
    I was referring to reloading ammunition, specifically 9mm. Once fired brass can be purchased for 2-4 cents a piece. The going rate for bullets is around 10 cents each it seems like. I still have a pretty good stash of 147gr Xtreme plated bullets at 7 cents each.

I can't make myself buy factory new brass... Too expensive!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links