How to get the ammo situation back to normal

This is a discussion on How to get the ammo situation back to normal within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've noticed a trend. The big box stores like Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas and to a lesser extent Gander Mountain haven't been gouging their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: How to get the ammo situation back to normal

So I've noticed a trend. The big box stores like Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas and to a lesser extent Gander Mountain haven't been gouging their ammo prices much if any at all. They also have restrictions on how many boxes you can buy. Helps keep demand down. A little.

Shooting ranges will sell you one box per session. Their prices are almost always slightly higher but not terrible.

Now look at the online retailers. Ammunition to Go. Lucky Gunner. Ammunition Depot. Yup that's right. They're gouging you. Arms list and Gunbroker? Holy hell. Someone call the price police!

So moral of the story: just buy from the big box guys and at the range. Stop buying online and feeding these greedy fools the money they are asking for. Most of them buy from the big box guys to sell online!

I say boycott them. Only buy from companies that have good sales sense and a moral compass. Buy from gun ranges who are keeping us shooting. Say no to the online crooks. Make them sweat and see their investments tied up with nowhere to go.

Then and only then will ammo prices start falling again, and prospectors will flood the market with boxes of ammo they can no longer sell for stupid prices.

Let's do this together. What say you?

I completely agree, but am unwilling to be one of the 50 guys that wait outside of Academy every Friday morning at 7 am for the store to open. So I just don't buy any. No way I am paying double or triple for ammo. Refuse to do it.

I have just been shooting less often and conserving a little more of my ammo reserves.

It'll get back to a "normal" at some time. Sooner, later, who knows? I read somewhere a big company, the name of which I cannot recall immediately, is building a new plant hopefully to come on line next year. Other than that, we'll all deal with it as we can. That un-orchestrated behavior will send a message to the "market" and if some sector of the "market" fails to listen and heed the whispered messages on the breezes, woe be to them. Failure will not be far behind. Capitalism is cruel and does not subsidize failures to successfully build a niche in the marketplace.

Trying to orchestrate buying patterns pits individuals against each other in classic "game theory" which never results in the expected answers. We're all economic animals one way or another.

From some random blog on Remington:

They’ve (Remington) pledged a whopping $32 million to expand their Lonoke, Ark. plant with the construction of an entirely new manufacturing facility. The expansion is expected to be up and running at full capacity by the summer of 2014, with ground broken for the new building by the second quarter of this year.

“We are proud to provide job growth within communities that have supported us for so many years, while meeting the increasing global demand for superior ammunition products,” said Jim Grahlmann, Lonoke plant manager. “This expansion reinforces our commitment to deliver the finest quality products for our customers“
    From Remington:

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...perations.aspx

REMINGTON® EXPANDS AMMUNITION OPERATIONS
    May 09, 2013

Madison, NC – Remington Arms Company, LLC (“Remington”) announced today its plan to expand operations at the Remington Ammunition Plant in Lonoke, Arkansas. Work on the expansion, which will include the construction of a new building, is expected to begin second quarter of 2013. The $32 million expansion plan is projected to be in operation by the second quarter of 2014.

“We are proud to provide job growth within communities that have supported us for so many years, while meeting the increasing global demand for superior ammunition products,” said Jim Grahlmann, Lonoke Plant Manager. “This expansion reinforces our commitment to deliver the finest quality products for our customers.”

“We continue to invest in all of our manufacturing operations because we are committed to ensuring quality, increasing product availability and improving on-time delivery,” said Kevin Miniard, Chief Operating Officer of Remington. “This significant investment in Lonoke is a testament to that commitment. Our customers can count on Remington to invest in its manufacturing operations in order to ensure that its facilities are state-of-the art and its employees are the best in the industry.”

The Remington Ammunition Plant, established in 1969, designs and manufactures leading ammunition products with superior craftsmanship. More information about Remington Ammunition can be found at http://www.remington.com/product-cat...mmunition.aspx
    That plant ought to at least keep HotGuns supplied
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I say boycott them. Only buy from companies that have good sales sense and a moral compass.
    I've always "boycotted" things based on price. I've got my standards for performance and type, and maximums I'll pay. But I can be patient, and I don't mind hunting around for decent deals. Works fairly well, for avoiding panic-pricing. The panicky can pay for such supplies; I'll wait until I find an appropriate sale. Everyone's happy.
    mano3, Exacto, bigmacque and 1 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have never bought ammo on line. Mostly Wally world and some pawn shops (local ones)

Define "good sales sense and a moral compass". My moral compass tells me they can try to sell me anything they darn well please at any price they please. That doesn't mean I have to buy it, or at their price. As for good sales sense... THEY HAVE IT! They buy at a low and sell at a high to people that are lining up in droves to buy at their prices. If they're smart...as the supply starts to increase(and many of us are already seeing signs of that trickling now) they'll start slowly dropping their prices to keep up.
    SCXDm9 and WHEC724 like this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Define "good sales sense and a moral compass". My moral compass tells me they can try to sell me anything they darn well please at any price they please. That doesn't mean I have to buy it, or at their price. As for good sales sense... THEY HAVE IT! They buy at a low and sell at a high to people that are lining up in droves to buy at their prices. If they're smart...as the supply starts to increase(and many of us are already seeing signs of that trickling now) they'll start slowly dropping their prices to keep up.
    I meant not gouging. Cabelas was still selling 100 rounds of .22LR for $8 last I checked. The could have easily done what online retailers do and jack it up to $0.30 a round.

VIP Member
    I've managed to find decent prices online too. You just have to hunt for them and pounce quickly when you find them. They're only out there for hours and sometimes only minutes.

Over-paying for ammo is for the convenience of not having to look hard for it. (Okay, granted a good price on .22lr still has been like looking for a rainbow unicorn)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Define "good sales sense and a moral compass". My moral compass tells me they can try to sell me anything they darn well please at any price they please. That doesn't mean I have to buy it, or at their price.
    Yup. What the market will bear. Of course, any company needs to balance both the short-term and long-term pros/cons of any decision, including a percentage of the market perceiving their pricing as predatory/gouging and all the rest.

As you say, it doesn't really matter what a product's price is. There are alternatives; I'll find one that better fits my price point and needs. (Sort of like a Tesla motorcar. Beautiful stuff (and pricey as sin), but it's just not for me, certainly not at those prices.)
    bigmacque likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've bought one box of overpriced ammo, and that's because I had a new Sig I didn't want to run reloads through. That empty brass is now reloaded and awaiting a range trip. I have two boxes of commercially loaded "range" ammo and a few boxes of commercial SD ammo, but if push comes to shove, my reloads would be just as deadly as any commercial ammo. 5000 rounds of anything? What war am I planning on getting involved in?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think that as long as the political situation remains what it is ( or gets worse ), the ammo situation will probably remain what it is. It may take another presidential election resulting in a more conservative administration to calm things down. If that doesn't happen, easy to find ammo may just be a distant memory. Frightening the public to promote panic buying of ammo is a pretty effective form of gun control as guns are useless to those who are unable to get any ammo. I bet the anti gun crowd in Washington smiles when they consider how easily we are manipulated.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjns View Post
    I think that as long as the political situation remains what it is ( or gets worse ), the ammo situation will probably remain what it is. It may take another presidential election resulting in a more conservative administration to calm things down. If that doesn't happen, easy to find ammo may just be a distant memory. Frightening the public to promote panic buying of ammo is a pretty effective form of gun control as guns are useless to those who are unable to get any ammo. I bet the anti gun crowd in Washington smiles when they consider how easily we are manipulated.
    I only need one box of 50 JHP for everyday carry. And I have a 1000 rounds of .223/5.56 for whatever revolution that might take place. I'll last me a week or two before I link up with the resistance.

(Just kidding about the revolution, knuckleheads)

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I meant not gouging. Cabelas was still selling 100 rounds of .22LR for $8 last I checked. The could have easily done what online retailers do and jack it up to $0.30 a round.
    Situation dependent...and Cabelas does sell things online. What you many not be factoring into that though is that Cabelas is HUGE and they probably already have a HUGE inventory and can afford to ride out the wave. Smaller outfits may not be able to ride it out the same fashion as the Cabelas, Walmarts, etc... of the world. Not to mention even if they take a hit in the ammo section, they can probably make it up in other areas of the retail market they already pretty much own.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjns View Post
    And the rest of us smile right back when the realization hits that the other side of the isle is just as easily manipulated in other areas... Refer to how many dingbats run right out to the grocery store and only buy organic corn or only GMO corn or .... insert other money making scheme "as seen on tv" because someone stated as being a Doctor on TV told them to do so...

-The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I don't have much ammo, but I am new to this. I refuse to pay gouge prices. I get a box when they have it at WM, which is never in my neck of the woods, or online when I find a price I can live with. Most of the people on this forum would probably consider themselves out of ammo if they had as little as I do, but I am very patient.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links