22 LR Gel test with the Beretta Bobcat

22 LR Gel Test with the Beretta Bobcat

This is a discussion on 22 LR Gel Test with the Beretta Bobcat within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you are curious how the 22 LR performs from the Beretta Mini, then you might enjoy this weeks Terminal Test Thursday. Pocket Guns and ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Ljutic
  • 1 Post By onacoma

Thread: 22 LR Gel test with the Beretta Bobcat

22 LR Gel test with the Beretta Bobcat

If you are curious how the 22 LR performs from the Beretta Mini, then you might enjoy this weeks Terminal test Thursday.

Pocket Guns and Gear: 22 Long Rifle - The Cheap Stuff Ballistics tests

QKShooter and OnePlink like this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I have to say I'm surprised that the Minimag made 11"...then again, it didn't open up.

Dunno. I think I'd stick with a good, 40gr HV solid (Winchester Powerpoint, or some of the Aguila HV loads) if I carried a .22...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've never felt .22 HPs offered much in expansion. When I lived in WA state and hunted ground squirrels, I'd buy HPs, open up the HP with a drill bit and then notch the opening with a knife edge. The results were much more impressive, often spectacular at close ranges. In general, .22 solids are just as effective as the HPs are.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Looks like the best bet for SD with 22s is the plated LRNs (CCI seems to be the hottest out of my guns)- the hollow points seem like wishful thinking at best.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

The regular "high speed" .22lr hp's don't expand in critters, even out of a 5" barrel. The 3 segment QuikShoks definintely come apart in a gallon jug of water, from a 6.5" barrel. So the concept has merit, if enough velocity is present. Somebody should offer a 90 gr variant, at 1400 fps in pocket 9mm's. What you see in jello, you won't see in flesh and blood, guys. The vital organs are not muscle, with the exception of the heart. They do not flow into and out of hp cavities nearly as nicely as jello or water. Don't take my word for it. Shoot some nutria, jackrabbits, coons, possums, skunks, feral cats, armadillos, and chucks with those hp's you are so sure work so well. :-) While you are at it, shoot some with .45 ball, and be ready to be totally disgusted when they run off with solid chest hits.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Again it proves that barrel length counts! 22LR bullets need the "V" to expand and you're not going to get it with a 2" barrel. Both Speer (the first) and now Winchester have come out with a 22 win mag short barrel which has bullet that expands out of a 2" barrel. Now if they adapted those bullet to a 22LR then I would consider a 22LR bug, but until then the 22 win mag is the only answer if you wish to step down to a 22 caliber! That is unless you consider a 5.7 x 28 a 22 caliber!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Such a .22 mag would be pointless. any gun that can accommodate the length of the 22 mag cartridge and handle its pressures, can be readily made to handle 9mm, (or 38 special, for that matter) with MUCH more power. the /22 mag, in a 2" barrel, gets at most 1200 whoopee fps. Chronograph it and see that I'm right. Gee, a whole 125 ft lbs, and it still aint all that likely to expand in a man, after having its nose cavity clogged with clothing debris. Even if it does expand, it's not going to be bigger than the 9mm starts at, diameterwise. The 100 gr Corbon, in a pocket 9mm, offers solid expansion and almost 400 ft lbs of power. without the feeding problems inherent with a rimmed, too long for its diameter rd, nor the inherent misfiring problems of a rimfire case tuff enough to handle 22 mag pressures.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sifting View Post
    Such a .22 mag would be pointless. any gun that can accommodate the length of the 22 mag cartridge and handle its pressures, can be readily made to handle 9mm, (or 38 special, for that matter) with MUCH more power.
    OMG I would not have thought of that! So I'll tell the 84 year old grandmother she can't defend herself because "Sifting" said it is pointless as she can't rack the slide of a 380 or 9mm with her arthritic hands! Or maybe we should have warned the woman in Miami that used the 22LR revolver to dispose of a rapist that broke into her apartment it wouldn't do the job (Note she used all 10 rounds)!

As a note I carry a 357 Sig , and can get my follow up shots on a 10 spot, but I know not everyone can use a 357 Sig. or for that matter a 10mm or 50AE to defend themselves!

Again "Pointless" is a matter of opinion, and we all know opinions are like , everyone has one!
    MJB_17 likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

45 acp or 22 LR...if it makes a hole it is better than a handful of sand
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Links