Time to start thinking before I buy ammo!

Time to start thinking before I buy ammo!

This is a discussion on Time to start thinking before I buy ammo! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man, I gotta stop buying reflexively when I see ammo and start using my brain! I stopped by Wally World tonite to pick up a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to start thinking before I buy ammo!

Exclamation Time to start thinking before I buy ammo!

Man, I gotta stop buying reflexively when I see ammo and start using my brain! I stopped by Wally World tonite to pick up a few things, and since I was already there I decided to check the ammo case. By dumb luck there were two boxes of 9mm Tul-Ammo in the case. My first impulse was to buy since they don't have 9mm ammo very often. But I'm not desperately short, and Tul is some very, very dirty steel cased junk that I prefer not to use. In "normal times" the $.50 per box savings over WWB isn't worth the hassle since it's filthy and non-reloadable. It's a sign of the times I guess that I decided 'what the heck' and bought it anyways!

I hate to run a lot of it since steel cases can be hard on extractors. But 100 rounds won't hurt anything. Better buy another bottle of Hoppe's #9, though! Gonna need it!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    We ran a box of 50 Tulammo 9 through my wife's Beretta px4 and it seemed to do fine. A little dirty but have to clean after trip to range. I have heard that steel ammo is harder on extractor but not sure if I'm overly concerned with it unless that all we ran through it.

i would have bought it and I hdont have a 9mm. I have friends who can use it
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Just a note on Tul-ammo, we have had two Kaboom at local ranges in the past three month and it was with Tul-Ammo. So remember YMMV!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

At least you found some 9mm. Looks like things are looking up a bit.

Save it for your last two boxes when TSHTF. In that scenario a clean gun or worn out extractor wouldn't matter...

Distinguished Member
    Ahh, shot plenty of steel tulammo through a few of my guns. Not my preffered choice, but if it's loaded into a quality firearm it goes bang just like the rest of em. It's cleaned up just the same as the rest of it Don't forget - trigger time is trigger time, and a good time!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Just a note on Tul-ammo, we have had two Kaboom at local ranges in the past three month and it was with Tul-Ammo. So remember YMMV!
    Wow! Really? Injuries to the people or damage to the gun?

I've been wondering how CC will be with all these ammo companies running full tilt just trying to pump out product.

G19 AIWB

I just found .40, .45, 9mm, and a ton of 22lr at Walmart about an hour ago. Bought two boxes of Tulammo 45, and one box of 40 WWB.

I couldn't care less about how dirty Tulammo is - I clean after every range trip.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Wow! Really? Injuries to the people or damage to the gun?

I've been wondering how CC will be with all these ammo companies running full tilt just trying to pump out product.
    Damage to the firearms, most slides coming apart. Of course the haz-mat teams needed to clean out the undies! One of the other trainers here in the valley had both of them during a class.

The indoor ranges I go to in Mexifornia do not allow any Russian ammo in their range. There have been a couple reports out on just how dirty the ammo is and I attached the 5.56 report. Of course it is your choice.

One caveat, if I had a AK or SKS I would not hesitate in using the Tul-ammo or any Russian ammo as those firearm have different tolerances.
    Attached Files

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Ahh, shot plenty of steel tulammo through a few of my guns. Not my preffered choice, but if it's loaded into a quality firearm it goes bang just like the rest of em. It's cleaned up just the same as the rest of it Don't forget - trigger time is trigger time, and a good time!
    This. I never had a problem with their .45 ammo. It is dirty as crap but I clean my guns after range time anyway

One caveat, if I had a AK or SKS I would not hesitate in using the Tul-ammo or any Russian ammo as those firearm have different tolerances.
    Your attached file is a great read. Thanks!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member
    Damage to the firearms, most slides coming apart. Of course the haz-mat teams needed to clean out the undies! One of the other trainers here in the valley had both of them during a class.

The indoor ranges I go to in Mexifornia do not allow any Russian ammo in their range. There have been a couple reports out on just how dirty the ammo is and I attached the 5.56 report. Of course it is your choice.

Holy cow! Think I'm officially done with steel cased stuff, pretty much already made up my mind not to fool with it, but I'm positive now.

G19 AIWB

Without seeiong the firearms it's hard to tell what caused the KB,it could be an overcharged case,or could be an undercharged load (Squib) that lodged the bullet in the barrel with enough oomph to cycle the slide,and a lot of shooters will pull the trigger,There was an AR15 with a Piston Upper that blew up at the local range and from what I could tell it was an ammo problem,the range took all the ammo with the same lot number off the shelf
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have a Mini thirty and an SKS. Experience has shown me the Ruger WWB and the SKS gets Tula and both guns are happy. Tried Tula in my Colt .45 that gun wasn't happy(lot of jamming failure to extract). I'm glad it worked for Mr Once though. Thanks for sharing the attacment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links