I think I figured out why we still have an ammo shortage

This is a discussion on I think I figured out why we still have an ammo shortage within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a 9mm even though I typically stick to .40 and .45. So I needed some ammo. I was trolling Armslist and found ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: I think I figured out why we still have an ammo shortage

I think I figured out why we still have an ammo shortage

I recently bought a 9mm even though I typically stick to .40 and .45. So I needed some ammo. I was trolling Armslist and found a box of 100 WWB rounds for $45. Guy had 3 of them. I wasn't ecstatic about the price but wanted to build up some reserves so I decided to go for it. In talking with him, it would appear a LOT of guys are still going to Wal-Mart and the other big stores at 6am to buy what they can and then turn a profit on the stuff. It has become a great side business for the guy I bought mine from. He even asked me if I had any requests for ammo. I said "no, I'll be finding my own from here on out".

I am all for free market entrepreneurship, but this just seems like these guys are hurting it for all of us. I guess I shouldn't have bought these rounds. If these guys get stuck with all this ammo, maybe they will stop. Basically, our fellow shooters are becoming the "middle man". It kinda makes me sick.

Anyways, that is all. Shoot safe (if you can find ammo).
    Eagleks, 91wm6 and iblearning like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

2. Remove Ads

The exact same thing is happening here where I live. These people have learned the schedules for the ammo delivery. There is a quantity limit at my local walmart so they have their family, friends, etc buy for them too. They go straight home and list it on armslist for twice or three times what they paid. Like you said, it has become a business for them. Hopefully they will get stuck with a load of it and have to eat it.
    iblearning likes this.

That really sucks, Those boxes of 9mm are $25 at Walmart and all three stores in my town get them in all the time. Just bought 1000 rounds of 9mm from Walmart two days ago and sometimes I do sell it to my friends, but at the same price I bought it. I like to make sure ammo gets in the hands of fellow shooters who want to go practice. I might make a couple bucks if I drive to their house to drop the ammo off, but I never really profit.

I'd rather not shoot for a few months than encourage the Walmart scalping by paying the bloated Armslist prices.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I recently bought a 9mm even though I typically stick to .40 and .45. So I needed some ammo. I was trolling Armslist and found a box of 100 WWB rounds for $45. Guy had 3 of them. I wasn't ecstatic about the price but wanted to build up some reserves so I decided to go for it. In talking with him, it would appear a LOT of guys are still going to Wal-Mart and the other big stores at 6am to buy what they can and then turn a profit on the stuff. It has become a great side business for the guy I bought mine from. He even asked me if I had any requests for ammo. I said "no, I'll be finding my own from here on out".

I am all for free market entrepreneurship, but this just seems like these guys are hurting it for all of us. I guess I shouldn't have bought these rounds. If these guys get stuck with all this ammo, maybe they will stop. Basically, our fellow shooters are becoming the "middle man". It kinda makes me sick.

Anyways, that is all. Shoot safe (if you can find ammo).
    This, and all the new gun owners who want to shoot their new guns and build up a little reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by CCinaG26 View Post
    That really sucks, Those boxes of 9mm are $25 at Walmart and all three stores in my town get them in all the time. Just bought 1000 rounds of 9mm from Walmart two days ago and sometimes I do sell it to my friends, but at the same price I bought it. I like to make sure ammo gets in the hands of fellow shooters who want to go practice. I might make a couple bucks if I drive to their house to drop the ammo off, but I never really profit.
    Wow, no restrictions at your store? I can't buy more than three boxes at any Walmart within a 45 mile radius of my town.

Edit- Reread, you are hitting three stores and buying three boxes of 9mm at each store? I'm lucky if there are three boxes of anything (I want) around here.

Huh, same thing the heroin dealers do ...
    And, the water barons ...

(though both of those are basically taking advantage of rent-seeking).

One wonders why Walmart just doesn't raise their prices and capture the extra profit from scarcity/demand features.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Huh, same thing the heroin dealers do ...
    And, the water barons ...

(though both of those are basically taking advantage of rent-seeking).

One wonders why Walmart just doesn't raise their prices and capture the extra profit from scarcity/demand features.
    Sadly, it's not rent seeking by the resellers insomuch as it is the failure of the supply chain to get the product to the customer. Those who do get to purchase it are simply engaging in arbitrage by reselling it. I also imagine the folks who are doing this value their spare time at close to 0. I think the only way to get this to stop is for the manufacturers/distributors to hold on to their stock for a while and then release only huge lots at a time. If there aren't a trickle of boxes to buy, these people will stop looking for it. If it comes in all at once, they might realize that the supply chain has been refilled. That said, right now it's a system of perpetual scarcity and the manufacturers and distributors don't seem to care.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

The ones that are buying and selling for a good profit probably dont even have guns. They are just doin it to gouge and make money. And thats a bunch o bovine excrement. That ticks me off. And why we cant find ammo.
    Cheesewiz likes this.

Better be careful.... Someone is gonna get on soon and accuse everyone of whining.....

I refuse to pay scalper prices. I will not even buy it from them when the glut is over.
    sparkykb, Cheesewiz and oneshot like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by 3wggl View Post
    I'd rather not shoot for a few months than encourage the Walmart scalping by paying the bloated Armslist prices.
    I agree. I'd give up shooting for months at current ammo prices. Hopefully things will be better by the end of the summer or early fall.

Alternatively, I've been shooting shotguns more often (when they usually were neglected before). Target 12ga shells are plentiful at my Walmart.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I haven't bought or shot in so long im not even sure if i remember how. I've had the same two mags of SD ammo since like Jan lol.

I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Simple solution - Wal Mart asks to see a CCW from anyone buying handgun ammo, AND limits you to 3 boxes per caliber. Now these scalpers cannot have their friends and family buy ammo for them - unless they all happen to have a CCW, which I can assure you they don't.
    miller_man likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

That's why I avoid WM for ammo and stick with my local privately owned gun shop, ammo maybe be a buck or two more but worth it when I know the money stays local and he'll have what I need most of the time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links