Anyone using .400 Corbon for CCW or HD?

This is a discussion on Anyone using .400 Corbon for CCW or HD? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious if anyone here uses a handgun chambered in .400 Corbon for defensive duty? While there aren't many (any?) guns you can buy chambered ...

Thread: Anyone using .400 Corbon for CCW or HD?

Anyone using .400 Corbon for CCW or HD?

Just curious if anyone here uses a handgun chambered in .400 Corbon for defensive duty? While there aren't many (any?) guns you can buy chambered for this round off-the-rack I think it's a pretty simple deal to drop in a barrel. EFK Firedragon makes a drop in for the USP 45 that requires no gunsmithing or mods to the gun, and the 1911 barrel is no more work to fit than any other barrel. Since it operates at the same pressure as a .45 ACP is won't batter the gun to death but it runs pretty close to the 10mm performance wise.

Short of getting a 45 Super barrel (for a gun that can survive the beating, like a USP) I can't imagine a much better sidearm round for SD if it runs well in your particular gun...
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Honestly I had to look it up. Just shows my lack of knowledge. I had never heard of it before.

I looked it up because i didnt know the specifics, but I have heard of it. I dont really see the point of it other than something to pay with I guess. It is between a 10mm and a .40 SW. Pick one of those and you will be fine. also, Corbon is the only ammo maker that factory loads so its a handloaders toy also. Not for me, buyt ymmv.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Underwood also offers at least three factory loadings at prices pretty competitive with current 9mm pricing. The big advantage of the .400 CB (assuming it runs well in your gun) is the much lower pressure of the round vs. the 10mm. Since it's a .45 ACP case necked down it seems to generally run in converted .45's with nothing but a barrel swap. Hotter than a .40 S&W but with a .45 recoil impulse.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    I have the conversion barrel and have shot in in my G21. I don't carry it. it's too snappy. my intention for it was always as a hunting sidearm, to give me a little more punch than the 45. I chronograph some 165 grain Cor-bon HP's at average of 1414 fps. Those rounds are pretty snappy. More so than the 135 grain I tried before. They also only seem to feed "fairly" consistently from the 10 round simi single stack mags. the 13 rounds true double stack mags have issues feeding. I get a lot of nosediving.

For daily carry, nope, not me.

For a hunting sidearm, okay.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Links