"Colt" Ammunition

"Colt" Ammunition

This is a discussion on "Colt" Ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings All, A couple times recently, while browsing the ammo search engines for .308/7.62x51, I have come across what look like very good deals on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: "Colt" Ammunition

"Colt" Ammunition

Greetings All,

A couple times recently, while browsing the ammo search engines for .308/7.62x51, I have come across what look like very good deals on "Colt" ammo. It is described as Russian-made with galvanized steel cases. The boxes have what looks like the genuine Colt's Manufacturing logo on them. I've never seen this stuff before.

Any ideas if it's any good? Is there any actual connection to Colt's Manufacturing?

TIA for any info.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Interesting.

I couldn't turn any up on a cursory internet search. Would love to see a link.

The description of the ammunition's characteristics doesn't sound promising.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The description of the ammunition's characteristics doesn't sound promising.
    Agreed!

That's one reason I was so surprised to see what APPEARED to be a genuine Colt logo on the boxes. I would have thought that if Colt was to start importing ammo, it would be premium stuff.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Is it spelled "Colb" or "Cult" and is the logo a filly instead of a colt? Is this like the gold "Rolex" I bought at the flea market that turned my wrist green?
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Here's a pic of the box. They had these at J&G Sales, but they appear to be sold out now.
    product_thumb.jpg
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Undeniably the prancing pony and properly spelled "Colt" done in the trademark font.

Never saw that before.

I wouldn't personally be interested in using such ammunition having galvanized steel cases no matter how the packaging read. If some Colt cartridges appear in boxer-primed, brass cases then I'd be tickled to try them.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, never heard of the stuff
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Undeniably the prancing pony and properly spelled "Colt" done in the trademark font...
    Sure looks like it to me!

Have to wonder if it's a full-blown counterfeit, or just an ill-advised licensing deal by Colt's.

I'm not a big fan of steel-cased ammo, but the price was right and I thought about getting 1/2 case of the stuff just to have around.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

OD*
    I'd hope it's counterfeit, but Colt has a new president and chief executive officer, hard to know what he'd do.
    bmcgilvray and C hawk Glock like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I've fired a lot of steel-cased ammunition through my SKS and a dab through the AR 15, Mosin Nagant, and 1911. The common issue was more filth to clean out of the guns at the end of the shooting sessions. The steel cartridge cases didn't cause any observable problems. One hears of increased wear with steel-cased ammunition and there could be something to that. Not obtaining a reloadable case after shooting the stuff was what bugged me most of all.
    OD* likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I'd hope it's counterfeit, but Colt has a new president and chief executive officer, hard to know what he'd do.
    Send him an email.You never know

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Smith and Wesson sullied their good name by allowing chinese products to appear bearing their name, why wouldn't Colt follow suit? Far too many companies with good reputations sold out and ruined what was once trustworthy. Bell South, Chicago Pneumatic, Hardly Davidson, the list is long.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Smith and Wesson sullied their good name by allowing chinese products to appear bearing their name, why wouldn't Colt follow suit? Far too many companies with good reputations sold out and ruined what was once trustworthy. Bell South, Chicago Pneumatic, Hardly Davidson, the list is long.
    S&W sullied its name, IMO, when they got away from doing what they did best, dropping great products from its line up, like the M19, and started copying everyone else.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    S&W sullied its name, IMO, when they got away from doing what they did best, dropping great products from its line up, like the M19, and started copying everyone else.
    Oh yeah. "The Governor" being the coupe de grace.

I've fired a lot of steel-cased ammunition through my SKS and a dab through the AR 15, Mosin Nagant, and 1911. The common issue was more filth to clean out of the guns at the end of the shooting sessions. The steel cartridge cases didn't cause any observable problems. One hears of increased wear with steel-cased ammunition and there could be something to that. Not obtaining a reloadable case after shooting the stuff was what bugged me most of all.
    Agreed on all counts!

I've used a little Wolf & Herters in the AK, SKS, and Mosin Nagant, but I keep it out of my higher-end guns. I am wary of the wear issues with steel cases, but the reloading issue is what bothers me most, too, at least in the 'bigger' calibers. I want .308 & .30-30 brass!
    Jaeger likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links