Still getting better

Still getting better

This is a discussion on Still getting better within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had the AM off. Riley's this morning for opening - ~4 cases of 9mm AE at $14.95/50, 2 box limit. ~Plenty of .45 fmj at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Still getting better

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array NH_Esau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    943

    Still getting better

    Had the AM off. Riley's this morning for opening -
    ~4 cases of 9mm AE at $14.95/50, 2 box limit.
    ~Plenty of .45 fmj at $20-$21/50
    Plenty of various 5.56/.223, 10 box/1 bulk limit
    - 1k loosepack Federal 855 $410
    - 20rd serbian brass-case 855 copy - $7.95/20 or $79 even for a vacuum-packed bag of 10 boxes
    - Maybe 10 boxes of Gold Dot, $20/20
    - Another 20 boxes of Fed Tactical Nosler Ballistic Tip 55g, $23/20
    - Plenty of 20rd boxes of Fed 855 and Green Tip running from .45-.50/rd

    Picked up some bulk .223 and my 2-box limit of 9. No .22LR, but I stopped by Shooter's Outpost down the road and...

    Scored a 525 box of Rem Golden HP for $25!

    Maybe 50+ 100rd pks of AE 9mm for $29. Threw one of of those in the basket.

    They also had about 5 420 rd ammo cans of 5.56 Fed green tip on strippers for $210, and 100rd AE 5.56 for $50.

    Good amount of .40, .38spl, and .45, (even 1000rd ammo cans) but spendy.

    Other funny thing to see at Riley's - a clerk rearranging the racks because there wasn't enough room to put up another AR.

    Nice!
    WHEC724 and GhostMaker like this.


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array GhostMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,906
    Hopefully things will only improve for everyone's sake.
    U.S. Army Desert Storm Veteran
    Certified Police Firearms Instructor
    Former US Customs Blue Lighting Strike Force Commissioned Officer
    Advanced Highway Drug Interdiction Specialist
    Graduate Regional Counter Drug Training Academy
    Graduate of Bullet Proof Mind Course - (Dave Grossman Course)

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array txron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    862
    Went to the local Academy and picked up some Hornady defensive ammo. The had only 4 boxes so I picked up only one (didn't want to be greedy). Pleasenty of 45 and 40 fmj for practice, but no 9mm. I do know if you get there in the morning, they will have 9mm fmj. Pleaseny of 308, 5.56 and 7.63 for the AK. Went to the gun rack and saw at least 5 ARs in the racks and plenty of handguns. Ammo and guns were priced accordingly so no jack up pricing, which was good to see. I also think things are getting better, but not "back to normal" quite yet.
    GhostMaker and NH_Esau like this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array GhostMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,906
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Went to the local Academy and picked up some Hornady defensive ammo. The had only 4 boxes so I picked up only one (didn't want to be greedy). Pleasenty of 45 and 40 fmj for practice, but no 9mm. I do know if you get there in the morning, they will have 9mm fmj. Pleaseny of 308, 5.56 and 7.63 for the AK. Went to the gun rack and saw at least 5 ARs in the racks and plenty of handguns. Ammo and guns were priced accordingly so no jack up pricing, which was good to see. I also think things are getting better, but not "back to normal" quite yet.
    Thanks to you and the OP both....I kind of like to see how things are around the rest of the country as far as the market goes.
    U.S. Army Desert Storm Veteran
    Certified Police Firearms Instructor
    Former US Customs Blue Lighting Strike Force Commissioned Officer
    Advanced Highway Drug Interdiction Specialist
    Graduate Regional Counter Drug Training Academy
    Graduate of Bullet Proof Mind Course - (Dave Grossman Course)

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array NH_Esau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    943
    Also, overheard today - guy in maybe his late 20s/early 30s talking loudly to other shoppers about how he bought all these guns and thousands of rounds of ammo he can't really afford. He only shoots his SR22 which is his "home defense weapon," though he's got a "Glock 40". Was talking about how he didn't want to fire the AKs and ARs and though he thinks he paid about $200 too much for each, he was going to be able to sell them at a profit. But until then, he looked pretty mean holding them in the mirror.

    Meanwhile, Riley's racks are literally overflowing with new ARs and AK variants at MSRP, and plenty of ammo at reasonable prices as well.

    If I ever see him standing on a street corner with a cardboard sign, I'll make sure to drop a couple rounds of .22LR in his cup.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Also, overheard today - guy in maybe his late 20s/early 30s talking loudly to other shoppers about how he bought all these guns and thousands of rounds of ammo he can't really afford. He only shoots his SR22 which is his "home defense weapon," though he's got a "Glock 40". Was talking about how he didn't want to fire the AKs and ARs and though he thinks he paid about $200 too much for each, he was going to be able to sell them at a profit. But until then, he looked pretty mean holding them in the mirror.

    Meanwhile, Riley's racks are literally overflowing with new ARs and AK variants at MSRP, and plenty of ammo at reasonable prices as well.

    If I ever see him standing on a street corner with a cardboard sign, I'll make sure to drop a couple rounds of .22LR in his cup.


    Thanks, that's the first belly laugh I've had this week
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

  7. #7
    Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    1,921
    Well, things are still pretty dry in Memphis. I guess all the gang bangers are renewing their supplies for next weekend. I am going to Houston to visit family next week and may see if I can "round up" a few rounds while I am there. Wish me luck.
    GhostMaker and Maynard like this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array GhostMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,906
    Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    Well, things are still pretty dry in Memphis. I guess all the gang bangers are renewing their supplies for next weekend. I am going to Houston to visit family next week and may see if I can "round up" a few rounds while I am there. Wish me luck.
    Good luck and have a safe trip!
    U.S. Army Desert Storm Veteran
    Certified Police Firearms Instructor
    Former US Customs Blue Lighting Strike Force Commissioned Officer
    Advanced Highway Drug Interdiction Specialist
    Graduate Regional Counter Drug Training Academy
    Graduate of Bullet Proof Mind Course - (Dave Grossman Course)

  9. #9
    Member Array cayman_shen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    242
    I just got back from Riley's: tons of ammo at pre panic prices! I haven't seen it like this in forever. I bought my limit (8 ten round boxes of 00 buckshot, 2 fifty round boxes 9mm). I'll be going back tomorrow. I'm so damn happy right now :D
    NH_Esau likes this.

  10. #10
    Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    1,566
    Those prices are still too high.

    What would happen if gun owners showed an ounce of self control and rather than "buying my limit", they just kept walking? What would happen if retailers had orders coming in, but the stuff just kept piling up?

    Ah, forget it. Just keep buying your limit of whatever hits the shelf regardless of the markup.

  11. #11
    Member Array cayman_shen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    242
    But it wasn't marked up. It was exactly the same price as this time last year, for the 9mm I bought anyway. The lgs in question never had wal mart prices.

  12. #12
    Member Array Jaybm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    238
    Neighbor dropped by with some .38 & .45 brass for me. Said he'd been by our local Academy and couldn't believe his eyes.
    Gun racks and cases FULL ! Good amount of ammo on the shelves, 9mm, .308, .38, .40, .45 ... no .22LR. Still rationed at
    one box per. No one even looking at the time he was there. Asked about ARs but he wasn't sure but did see M14s.

    Oh, was in Wally World the other day and they were putting up new "one per customer" signs, a change from three per.
    Their shelves were empty btw, clerk said the same person was there every morning with friends. Maybe they'll get stuck
    for once !

    Need an excuse to go by Academy just for the experience, would be a bonus if they had a lever action .38/.357 but not
    a Ranch Hand.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array NH_Esau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Those prices are still too high.

    What would happen if gun owners showed an ounce of self control and rather than "buying my limit", they just kept walking? What would happen if retailers had orders coming in, but the stuff just kept piling up?

    Ah, forget it. Just keep buying your limit of whatever hits the shelf regardless of the markup.
    These are pre-panic, non Wally-world, prices. Bulk 5.56 855 at .40/rd would not be a bargain, but not terrible. The lowest I was buying before this was ~.35. 9mm AE is identical - $14.95/box - and last time he had CCI Aluminum in, he was selling it for $9.95, just like last summer.

    Again, these aren't Wal-mart prices, but no gouging going on at Riley's... ever.

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array Kilowatt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    ...What would happen if gun owners showed an ounce of self control and rather than "buying my limit", they just kept walking? What would happen if retailers had orders coming in, but the stuff just kept piling up?...
    "Aye, and if me grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon!" - Montgomery Scott
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

  15. #15
    Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    These are pre-panic, non Wally-world, prices. Bulk 5.56 855 at .40/rd would not be a bargain, but not terrible. The lowest I was buying before this was ~.35. 9mm AE is identical - $14.95/box - and last time he had CCI Aluminum in, he was selling it for $9.95, just like last summer.

    Again, these aren't Wal-mart prices, but no gouging going on at Riley's... ever.
    Have to agree on this. 14.95 per 50 for 9mm is hardly price gouging. our LGS is around 17.95 which is a little high but not crazy considering shipping costs when you buy it online. I was told they had a lot on the shelf last weekend but had a 1 box limit. I don't know what this weekend will look like. If Riley's is selling it for 14.95 then I would hardly call it price gouging especially when you don't know if it is being marked up a little higher from where they buy it from.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

forums price of 5.56 ammo pre panic

,

rileys ammo limits

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors