Monarch Brass ?

Monarch Brass ?

This is a discussion on Monarch Brass ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been seeing a lot of this recently at Academy, since it is kind of their store brand, but have yet to shoot any. I ...

Thread: Monarch Brass ?

Monarch Brass ?

I've been seeing a lot of this recently at Academy, since it is kind of their store brand, but have yet to shoot any. I know Monarch steel is incredibly nasty and I won't shoot that ever since the 9mm managed to jam an M&P 4 times in a single box, is the brass any good in a situation where other options are severely limited like now?

Specifically I am talking about the common centerfire pistol calibers, lately the store near me has been getting .45 brass and 9mm steel on an almost daily basis. As far as quality, I usually like the economy priced brass lines like Federal Champion and UMC, my preference is Speer Lawman but that is very rare these days, is Monarch on the same level in the brass case version?

Can't say for cf pistol ammo but rf .22LR sux.
    High Standard pistol and Marlin rifle hated it.
    Gave away three boxes of the stuff after being
    thoroughly disgusted with it.
    For that reason alone I'd steer clear of it.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

TVJ
    I run Monarch brass through my Glock 19s and its worked fine. Dirty, but fine. Price is great.
    "No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right and keeps on a-comin."
    Texas Ranger Capt William Jessie McDonald

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    I run Monarch brass through my Glock 19s and its worked fine. Dirty, but fine. Price is great.
    Is it Berdan or Boxer primed?

I have been buying it as of late for the reasons you mentioned above. I haven't had any issues in either of my M&Ps or my Kimber.

Thanks for the info, Noluck and I are in the same boat it seems and also the same metro are. Give credit to Academy at least, they haven't raised prices and are getting decent supply in, I just wish they would loosen up from 1 box limit to 3. I'm going to try some of this and see how it runs, maybe I'll be lucky and stumble across some Federal or Speer while I'm there.

A bar that had a 3 drink MAXIMUM would never stay in business!

So I ran a couple boxes through my Taurus the other day, worked just fine, a bit smoky but not too dirty (WWB was worse), I'll buy it again at least in .45ACP (which isn't exactly cheap). Given the sporadic availability these days, I can't count on an endless supply of Lawman or UMC. By the way, Monarch seems to be jsut a made up brand by Academy Sports, on the back of the box it says "Distributed by Academy Sports", the actually rounds are head stamped PPU (Prvi Partivzan, Serbian manufacturer).

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links