Reloading book

Reloading book

This is a discussion on Reloading book within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to reloading an would like to know which book Ineed to buy to get the oal and powder charts. I have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Reloading book

Reloading book

I am new to reloading an would like to know which book Ineed to buy to get the oal and powder charts. I have a new dillon 550

Get at least two. My standards are the Lyman, the Hornady, and the Lee. There's enough difference among them that you really need more than one.
    the6shooter, BamaT, 84160 and 3 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lee of course, great info. on steps of reloading Speer #14 mine is on the way, I had # 12, and wanted to update, was backordered for 3 months.
    Speer in my opinion is the bible of reloading. It's so easy to read, anyone can do it. My opinion.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I have three: Speer, Hornady and a Nosler which I picked up at a good price at an estate sale. I agree with having more than one.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I plan on getting a couple more but right now I have Hogdons. I use their powder so I use their annual manual to.

VIP Member
    If you want lead data, then for sure get Lyman's. It's a good one, regardless, but it's the only one with cast data. Otherwise, any two will do (yeah, I do second the 'buy two' philosophy).
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    If you want lead data, then for sure get Lyman's. It's a good one, regardless, but it's the only one with cast data. Otherwise, any two will do (yeah, I do second the 'buy two' philosophy).
    Not entirely true... the Lee manual has boatloads of recipes for cast bullets.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Get at least two. My standards are the Lyman, the Hornady, and the Lee. There's enough difference among them that you really need more than one.
    Yep, the more information you have at your fingertips, the better. I use Lyman, Hornady and Speer. The best one (that I have experience with) is the Lyman book. I haven't looked at the Lee book so I can't comment on that one.

Ditto, gasmitty's remarks.

Have two myself, the Lyman and the Lee. It's important to compare various formulas, as typos exist here and there. Along with The ABC's Of Reloading, these work well enough for a newbie.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I have the LYman and the sierra book but i mainly use the powder manufacturer websites.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not entirely true... the Lee manual has boatloads of recipes for cast bullets.
    Ah. I stand corrected. Has Lee always had cast data or is that something new?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I, too, have the Speer, Lyman, and Nosler manuals. In addition to the bullet makers manuals, I encourage you to get the, usually free, manuals from the manufacturer of the powder you are using. Winchester, Hodgdon, Vihta Vouri, and Accurate all have data available on-line. I expect the other powder makers also have their data on-line as well.

Read up, and be safe! Remember, your cartridges CAN be longer than the book O.A.L., as long as they will feed in your firearm, but it can get dangerous if you start going shorter than specified O.A.L.
    BamaT likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I buy more Speer and Hornady bullets than anything else. So those are the two main manuals I use. The Speer manual is a better instruction manual than the Hornady.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I have been reloading for 40 years and have never understood the logic of buying 3 or 4 reloading manuals. The recipes are not that much different, and non of the published data is unsafe. I can see buying a new one every few years to keep up with changes in powder, but beyond that it seems like a waste of money.
    Fisher10 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I have been reloading for 40 years and have never understood the logic of buying 3 or 4 reloading manuals. The recipes are not that much different, and non of the published data is unsafe. I can see buying a new one every few years to keep up with changes in powder, but beyond that it seems like a waste of money.
    There's no other way to catch printing/typographic errors except to compare against another printing of the same basic recipe. One can either do that online or via another book. Without a second resource, an invalid recipe could either end up with too little or too much powder, ending with a recipe for potential disaster. Particularly with noobs who are searching for decent loadings and who don't have 40yrs' worth of familiarity with a given loading book, it seems a reasonable basic precaution to have two sources. JMHO.
    BamaT and Bad Bob like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links