Hyper velocity .22

This is a discussion on Hyper velocity .22 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What guns CAN you use hyper velocity .22 in? I just happened to find a couple 50rnd boxes of Remington vipers on the shelf at ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Hyper velocity .22

Hyper velocity .22

What guns CAN you use hyper velocity .22 in? I just happened to find a couple 50rnd boxes of Remington vipers on the shelf at $3.50 a box so I picked them up. Now all I hear is they cause undue stress on your gun. So what are they made for? I've read that they begin to approach .22 mag in terms of ballistics which sounds like a handy little round but not if its going to damage my rifles.

Is this stuff ok to fire out of my Marlin 99m1 (semi auto) and my glenfield mod.20 (bolt action)?

2. Remove Ads

You won't damage your rifle at all. If someone told you these will cause "undue stress" on your guns, then you now have a reason to put a credibility filter on any other gun information coming from that source.

Any modern .22 firearm will chamber and fire these rounds safely. Feeding and ejection in autoloaders and accuracy are different matters, but you won't hurt your gun shooting these.
    nedrgr21 and 006.9V2.1 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Bolt action yes, Marlin 99 semi auto NO! Revolver Yes, Semi Auto NO! Ive had a Marlin 60 since 1975 and the only damage to its action came from firing CCI Stingers. It broke the buffer and hammer. Later marlin added the warning in their owners manual to not fire "Hyper Velocity" ammo in their semi auto guns. DR

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You won't damage your rifle at all. If someone told you these will cause "undue stress" on your guns, then you now have a reason to put a credibility filter on any other gun information coming from that source.

Any modern .22 firearm will chamber and fire these rounds safely. Feeding and ejection in autoloaders and accuracy are different matters, but you won't hurt your gun shooting these.
    Smitty, you will have to take that one up with several manufactures of semi auto guns. DR

I had never heard of the possibility of any danger of doing damage to semis. I have shot all kinds of .22s in my 10/22 and my Buckmark, from CCI standard velocity loads to several makes of hyper velocity rounds, and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

I've put plenty through my Mod 60 - course it was made about 30 yrs ago, when they still knew how to make guns

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Bolt action yes, Marlin 99 semi auto NO! Revolver Yes, Semi Auto NO! Ive had a Marlin 60 since 1975 and the only damage to its action came from firing CCI Stingers. It broke the buffer and hammer. Later marlin added the warning in their owners manual to not fire "Hyper Velocity" ammo in their semi auto guns. DR
    Stingers are a bit different from other hyper-velocity ammo, because their case is longer then a standard .22 LR. As a result, a gun with a tight chamber has to force the case past the 'step' in the chamber, and that's where problems begin with higher pressure, etc. I'm surprised that Marlin advises against them, since most .22s are built with generously-cut chambers. But by all means, follow the maker's advice.

As a specific counter example, Ruger .22 rifles have no problem with Stingers except for their 10/22 Target model, which has a match chamber.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Stingers are a bit different from other hyper-velocity ammo, because their case is longer then a standard .22 LR. As a result, a gun with a tight chamber has to force the case past the 'step' in the chamber, and that's where problems begin with higher pressure, etc. I'm surprised that Marlin advises against them, since most .22s are built with generously-cut chambers. But by all means, follow the maker's advice.

As a specific counter example, Ruger .22 rifles have no problem with Stingers except for their 10/22 Target model, which has a match chamber.
    Its not the case length that causes most of the problems. Blow back semi auto actions depend on the bolt weight and return spring weight to time the bolt opening so that the chamber pressure has dropped to a safe level . If the bolt opens too soon you get case ruptures.The other part of bolt timing is the need to have ammo that provides consistent pressure . Too little and it wont cycle the bolt, too much and you get ruptured cases, fire ,and brass bits flying out the ejection port, etc... There have also been recivers cracked from the bolt battering them. Marlins use a plastic bolt buffer between the bolt and reciver. with standard and high velocity ammo these last many years. The OP is asking if its safe in a marlin gun made before 1960. I still think its not. DR

I defer to your superior knowledge of and experience with Marlins!

However, among currently/recently manufactured rimfire rifles (CZ, Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Mossberg, Thompson, Mossberg, Savage), there are a couple of specific warnings against the use of Stingers (again, due to case length), but only Marlin specifically states "no hyper velocity" ammo.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Man, I'm going to have to dig out my manual for my Rem 597 heavy barrel. I never pay attention to what i shoot through it. If it says 22lr I use it. I better look into it. I have some CCI stingers and minimags I bought a couple of years ago for my Sig Mosquito but thought of running them through this squirrel season in my 597.I know a heavy barrel isnt the best for a squirrel gun but when I bought it 8 years ago I liked the way it looked and felt. I need to pick me up something a little lighter. anyhow I better look into the ammo recommendation before i run those CCI throught the .597.

Links