9mm HP

This is a discussion on 9mm HP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Purchased my first 9mm last week, a G19 gen 4. I've run about 200 rounds through it and have quickly fallen in love. Just wondering ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 9mm HP

9mm HP

Purchased my first 9mm last week, a G19 gen 4. I've run about 200 rounds through it and have quickly fallen in love. Just wondering what everyone carries for hollow points and if they have had any feeding issues. I purchased 40 rounds of Federal HS JHP and plan to run a mag through with rapid fire to test it out this weekend. Any negative experiences with this particular round?
    Romans 12:21

2. Remove Ads

Never tried it in my g19, but I keep gold dots loaded in mine! Fantastic round!

Nope. You shouldn't have any issues with it. I used federals in my kahr cm9 with zero problems and it was one of the more accurate rounds I tried. I ultimately settled on winchester ranger T 125 gr, but they are hard to come by and pricey when you. I think you will be pleased with the federals

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

This question has as many answers as there are JHP rounds. Most people, myself included settle on the one that they and their weapon shoot the best. Most any of the main stream rounds in HP will serve you well. To me it comes down to what are you most comfortable shooting meaning handle recoil from, get back on target quickest for follow up shot and of course fire most accurately. Personally in my 9, I alternate between 124+p and 147 both in Gold Dot.

I have never had a Glock that didn't like anything it was chambered for.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

You tube has a bunch of nice videos on testing various bullets. Try a few different one to see what you particular weapon likes.

My G19 has Speer GDHP

GeorgiaCarry
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Over the course of my LE career two of my employers issued the 147 gr. Federal HydraShok JHP. Neither department had problems with it and we never lost an Officer because of its performance. There are newer designs of course, but the HS is a good round. Heck, I still carry it on occasion and have no doubt that if I do my part, the HS will see me through anything that I encounter.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

I am partial to 124gr +P loads, especially the Speer Gold Dot (carried by the 35,000 strong NYPD) and Federal HST. Older designs like the Hydra Shok, Golden Sabre, and Ranger SXT are solid but aren't the latest designs either, most date to the mid 1990s at the newest. The only thing I'd stay away from are 147gr JHPs, they have a tendency to not expand well. Since you're running a Glock 19, another option is a +P+ load like the Ranger SXT 127gr +P+, I used a few boxes of that through my M&Pc and liked it, I want to try it in my G26gen4 once I can acquire more. As long as you have 3.25" or more barrel, +P and +P+ are fine provided the gun can handle it.

Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P

If it's go enough for tens of thousands of police officers and has a proven track record, it's good enough for me.
    MJB_17 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P

If it's go enough for tens of thousands of police officers and has a proven track record, it's good enough for me.
    Used by the local dept. here and by the NYPD (who shoot someone like once a week) among many others.

Like the Gold Dots a lot, but at the moment I have the 124gr Black Hills loaded in my nines. While most all my pistols are +p rated, I shy away from the load because IMO it's just not needed. If I need more ump in a self defense situation I have several more rounds to stress my point to the recipient.

BLACK HILLS 9 mm Luger
    124 Gr. Jacketed Hollow Point
    Velocity 1150 FPS
    Engergy 363 Ft. Lbs.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Ranger T's in 127 GR +P+ for my 9MM Social. Works great and went thru 300 rounds of it in my last Training Session with SI.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

I have had great luck with gold dot 124 grain in all my glocks and my shield. Standard and + p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My choice(s) for my G19 are HSTs in 124 and 147 +P and Gold Dots in, again, 124 and 147 +P.
    Hodad likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links