Your ammo stockpile

This is a discussion on Your ammo stockpile within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, just want to gather some thoughts on personal stockpiles. What do you like to have on hand? Any goals as far as future ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Your ammo stockpile

Your ammo stockpile

Hey all, just want to gather some thoughts on personal stockpiles. What do you like to have on hand? Any goals as far as future purchases? I'd like to eventually have 1,000 rounds that go untouched for each caliber. I think that's plenty for me, but do some of you set the standard a little higher/lower?
    Romans 12:21

2. Remove Ads

Well, in December, I thought having a bit under 2k rounds of .22LR was ridiculous. Then I got down to ~my last brick and decided that was wrong. Slowly building up, and I think my new .22LR goal is 2k of hollow point, and another 2k or more of whatever quality stuff I can find for practice.

Same thing with 5.56, 9mm, and .38/.357 - I used to think 1k was enough to have on hand. Now I'm building up to 1k of untouchable (not allowed to shoot it unless I replace the stock with an equal amount of new) and 2k+ of practice. I don't shoot as much .40 and .45, so I'm thinking 1k of practice is about where I'll aim.

Larger caliber rifle stocks will build much more slowly.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'd like to have at least 1k rounds of each caliber before I feel comfortable. I'd just add here and there after that
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

A full combat load for both my rifle and my wifes rifle, so about 450 rounds between the two of us, and at least 3 magazines for each handgun. Anything more is just too much weight for me to lug around should shtf.
    bigmacque likes this.

VIP Member
    Most of my ammo went down in the boating accident...
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I have 500 rounds of every caliber and 2K rounds of my defensive calibers. I have the ability to make 3K of them also.

I used to think 1000 rounds of each was sufficient, but after some training courses where you blow through 1500+ rounds in 3 days, I set the bar a little higher.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I tend to keep 308 Winchester on hand as well as 45acp 9mm and 223 Remington. Everything else I would hope would be available should the libtards strike again or some apocalyptic event such as 22LR and 12 guage shells.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I was going to take a pic of me on top of my ammo pile, but the air was too thin and I started getting a headache.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Slim, mighty slim.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Could always use more practice rds.So far as pp ammo,if i use all i have,i'm in serious trouble

For me, 1000 rds in each caliber feels comfortable. As long as I have enough for a few range trips plus a stash of at least 500, I'm ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    Hey all, just want to gather some thoughts on personal stockpiles. What do you like to have on hand? Any goals as far as future purchases? I'd like to eventually have 1,000 rounds that go untouched for each caliber. I think that's plenty for me, but do some of you set the standard a little higher/lower?
    I'm not trying to be flippant, but in this day and age with all the govt. snooping I would be careful about commenting on this subject to anyone. Keep it to yourself.

I have two shells for my shotgun, and seven rounds for my semi-auto.
    airslot, Rhcmlc, Phaedrus and 1 others like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I thought 1200 would be good but 9mm and .40 is still impossible to find reasonably priced around here so I have cut back my practice to make what I have get me by and have ordered reloading equipment and components. In the future I'll keep 10,000,000 rounds on hand.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links