Caliber Wars - let the gel decide

This is a discussion on Caliber Wars - let the gel decide within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been watching ballistic gel tests on YouTube and came across a site called Brass Fetcher. Their 20% ballistic gelatin slow mo videos are ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Caliber Wars - let the gel decide

I have been watching ballistic gel tests on YouTube and came across a site called Brass Fetcher. Their 20% ballistic gelatin slow mo videos are really eye opening. If ballistic gel reflects what human soft tissue experiences during a gunshot wound, these videos shed some interesting light on the caliber discussion.

These videos are for specific brands of ammo so depending on what's used, ymmv. But the general behavior of each caliber could be generalized by these videos.

I'm not a ballistics expert so I'll treat this as a springboard for discussion and as a tool to help fellow DCers decide on which calibers to pick.

.22LR
    http://youtu.be/pFsDDgztf50

.38 special
    http://youtu.be/6VWDYQCFgic

.357 magnum
    http://youtu.be/Q7w4M-LNXuQ

.380 ACP
    http://youtu.be/Y-h8L0HanK4

9mm Luger
    http://youtu.be/92j3g168dIY

.40 S&W
    http://youtu.be/0Atcbh-ni0E

.45 ACP
    http://youtu.be/Fe6hEcdki_8

10mm (yeah baby!)
    http://youtu.be/8z49Lbnt16M

VIP Member
    DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum - Forum Rules

"9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we DO NOT allow the discussion of these topics. We also discourage "caliber war" threads and strongly encourage you not to post a thread starting one. Regardless of your level of experience, caliber is a personal preference and what is right for you may not be right for others."
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

What was surprising to me was...

The 9mm was more impressive than I thought

.45 ACP was somewhat underwhelming. That surprised me quite a bit

.357 magnum and 10mm are tactical nukes!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum - Forum Rules

"9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we DO NOT allow the discussion of these topics. We also discourage "caliber war" threads and strongly encourage you not to post a thread starting one. Regardless of your level of experience, caliber is a personal preference and what is right for you may not be right for others."
    Hmm sorry I might have used the wrong title. But hopefully ballistic gel results can still be discussed? Or maybe not. Mods will have to decide.

Distinguished Member
    The fact is that since 2003 there is not significant difference between 9mm, 40 and 45. Hit the CNS with any of these and your attacker is stopped. Miss with any of these and they are not. The tests results should be from the same place when not using a certified lab. Homemade gel tests are close but I have seen all sorts of results, good and bad, for the same ammo from different posters. Here is a good comparison and you will see that any of these calibers are good for defense. Arguing that a .45 is better than a good 9mm is like saying a 12 gauge is better than a 20 gauge when both will take out a person if you hit them in COM from the same distance and with the same type load.

ballistics-gel640.jpg
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Your links lead me to this one: "High Speed Video of Pistols Underwater"

High Speed Video of Pistols Underwater - Smarter Every Day 19 - YouTube

Not caliber related, but very interesting.

Im oriented that I like sex. Fortunately so does my wife
    Eric357 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

My thoughts are as follows: .380 to the head is better than a .45 to the foot. Caliber is only as effective as where the bullet gets placed.
    Romans 12:21

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have to say that I am impressed with the .357magnum video: It says that it is a .357 125gr. bullet at 1405 f/s...
    Well, I have some Double Tap ammo that shoots that same bullet at 1450 f/s from my 4.02 Glock barrel in the .357sig form.
    That barrel is in my Glock right now and im switching from my gold dots @1350 f/s to the Double taps@1450 f/s right now. That video was awesome, thanks for posting.

Is .357sig dying.... nope!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Im oriented that I like sex. Fortunately so does my wife
    Dude, Im trying to concentrate on the ballistics gel here! LOL
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Fess up, you just wanna know at what temp it becomes liquid.
    AZJD1968 and Ghost1958 like this.

Very important considering the rapid increase in home invasions by lemon jello.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

From watching these videos I do want a Ruger revolver in .357 Magnum.

Seriously ballistic gel is a uniform soft medium for comparisons in....well soft mediums. The human body especially the chest area is pretty well armored by nature and has a host of hard things before you get to the soft things unless you happen to go between ribs. Good measure of hydrostatic shock. And penetration if you dont hit bone.
    Ballistic gel isnt good for much except shooting though. Tastes horrible. Takes way more than skin temperature to turn into liquid too which can cause severe skin burns. OH wait, never mind. Thats another discussion

That being said it takes a awful tough two legged and most four legged critters to not be put down with a full house 357 magnum.
    Eric357 and Bad Bob like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I'm a big believer in carrying the caliber that one shoots most effectively. As a result, I use 9mm, 357 Sig and 45 ACP. I have always shot .40 poorly and dislike it in general so I no longer use it. With modern JHP designs there really is very little variance (as we see in results) between handgun calibers. Rifle calibers are where you see significant differences.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links