Expansion tests

Expansion tests

This is a discussion on Expansion tests within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the past couple of weeks I have target practiced with some defensive rounds in both my G19 and my S&W Bodyguard .38. To test ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By woodrow
  • 1 Post By SCXDm9
  • 1 Post By Taurahe

Thread: Expansion tests

Expansion tests

Over the past couple of weeks I have target practiced with some defensive rounds in both my G19 and my S&W Bodyguard .38. To test expansion I just did a simple milk jug test where I filled 6 or 7 jugs with water, lined them up, then shot a round into them. Here are the results:

The first test was with the .38 and some standard target rounds (I believe it was Winchester white box). I lined up six jugs, fired, and much to my surprise the bullet passed through all jugs. I then filled 7 more jugs, lined them up, and this time fired a Hornady Critical Defense 110 grain +p round. The bullet was stopped in the 6th jug and is on the far right in the photos.

Today I took out my G19 and tested both the Remington UMC 115 grain FMJ, as well as some Federal Premium 124 grain hydra shok JHP. Goes without saying, but the round on the far left is the Remington UMC, leaving the middle one as the Federal JHP. The UMC round went through 6 jugs, while the Federal JHP only went through 3.

Looking at expansion alone, I am pleased with how both the defensive rounds performed (I did the target rounds just for comparison purposes). In the event I get attacked by plastic jugs, I feel confident in my ability to stop the threat.
    IMG_1156.jpgIMG_1157.jpg
    vilecanards likes this.
    Romans 12:21

Nice simple test... And good results...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    If I were a Milk jug I would steer clear of you!

Just kidding of course. I looked and looked for the best round I could find and to be honest all the data and counter data made my head hurt. Then add in posters opinions and... well I bought Hornady Critical Defense for one reason only, my local store had them. I think any bullet is good enough, hollow point should be better.
    SmokinFool likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    If I were a Milk jug I would steer clear of you!

Just kidding of course. I looked and looked for the best round I could find and to be honest all the data and counter data made my head hurt. Then add in posters opinions and... well I bought Hornady Critical Defense for one reason only, my local store had them. I think any bullet is good enough, hollow point should be better.
    This ^^^^^^^^....
    I think tests are only useful to a certain point. While thwy do demonstrate reliable expansion, they cannot replicate a SD scenario. In the end, i think it is best to pick a bullet from a reputable manufacturer, make sure it shoots well and reliably, and be confident in it. But, it is fun blowing up milk jugs !
    SmokinFool likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    This ^^^^^^^^....
    I think tests are only useful to a certain point. While thwy do demonstrate reliable expansion, they cannot replicate a SD scenario. In the end, i think it is best to pick a bullet from a reputable manufacturer, make sure it shoots well and reliably, and be confident in it. But, it is fun blowing up milk jugs !
    Agreed. It doesn't duplicate defensive situations but it will tell you how each bullet performs relative to others. Still good to know.

Sponsored Links