Recommend me some good .38sp range ammo for the LCR in +p?

This is a discussion on Recommend me some good .38sp range ammo for the LCR in +p? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Know what I want for home defense ammo, but having trouble with what to get for range. Surely a lot of you who are LCR ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wmhawth

Thread: Recommend me some good .38sp range ammo for the LCR in +p?

Recommend me some good .38sp range ammo for the LCR in +p?

Know what I want for home defense ammo, but having trouble with what to get for range. Surely a lot of you who are LCR experts will be able to clue me in!

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

First find ammo preferably not panic priced.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPony View Post
    Know what I want for home defense ammo, but having trouble with what to get for range. Surely a lot of you who are LCR experts will be able to clue me in!

Thanks in advance.
    Once the ammo supply returns, look at your bullet weight and velocity of the SD ammo you have selected. Then try to find less expensive ammo that is a close match. That way you'll experience the same recoil when shooting either the defense ammo or the less expensive range ammo.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPony View Post

Thanks in advance.
    I look for 158 grain stuff to shoot at the range. I don't use +P ammunition for practice. For self defense carry I load up with 158 grain +P LSWCHP.
    Doghandler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Once the ammo supply returns, look at your bullet weight and velocity of the SD ammo you have selected. Then try to find less expensive ammo that is a close match. That way you'll experience the same recoil when shooting either the defense ammo or the less expensive range ammo.
    Yes.. this is what I was actually thinking.

Not a whole lot of difference in recoil between .38. .38+p's all I shoot most of the time are snubs I usually try to find the cleanest cheap ammo like blazer for range time not to bad in the clean up dept. for carry I like the buffalo bore low flash an smoke my snubs are ported so it works really nice.

For range time right now, I find whatever is cheapest. My LCR really likes the American eagle ammo, tried everything I can find in different weights and they all shoot very well.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I tend to use a ton of American Eagle myself, and to the poster a couple up Buffalo Bore was actually what I was considering for carry! Get out of my head!

I had a look today. Wadcutters were all that was available and they were priced fancy so I passed. I was looking for something with 158 on the box.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

For range time with my LCR I use the budget lines from the major ammo makers (American Eagle, WWB, etc), or my handloads. At defensive distances there won't be any significant difference between these rounds and +P loads, and I can shoot a lot more of them than +Ps before it becomes uncomfortable in the light LCR.

Links