I shot some particle board with my LCP. Results & pics.

This is a discussion on I shot some particle board with my LCP. Results & pics. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ruger LCP .380 Fiocchi 95gr FMJ Hornady 90gr Z-Max 21ft. 5/8" and 3/4" particle board uploadfromtaptalk1369781466014.jpg 2 boards: First I stood up the long white ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: I shot some particle board with my LCP. Results & pics.

Ruger LCP .380
    Fiocchi 95gr FMJ
    Hornady 90gr Z-Max
    21ft.
    5/8" and 3/4" particle board

uploadfromtaptalk1369781466014.jpg

2 boards: First I stood up the long white board and clamped the small brown one to it as pictured. I propped them up with a stick as close to vertical as possible.

uploadfromtaptalk1369781481297.jpg

Both bullets fully penetrated and blew the back out of the second board as pictured.

uploadfromtaptalk1369781534627.jpg

3 boards: Neither bullet penetrated three layers of the particle board. Both bullets got hung up in the middle board, with the FMJ penetrating a touch farther as expected.

uploadfromtaptalk1369781865861.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1369781888882.jpg

The FMJ did not experience any expansion, and the V-Max expanded but did not open much and retained all of its mass.

uploadfromtaptalk1369781969619.jpg

I'll say it before anyone else does, bad guys are not made of particle board. I was impressed with the way they blew through two boards. The third board provided enough resistance to contain them. It was fun experimenting.

Yup, most .380 ACP rounds penetrate around 9 to 11 inches on average, which IMO is enough to stop the average yahoo. What's bad about carrying a .380 for the bad guy as far as Im concerned is; due to its marginal power status, he's gonna get hit with several rounds to get my point across.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Thats why most people with knowledge of such things pass up the designer and HP ammo when carrying weaker powered calibers and load them with FMJ to start with.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Interesting. Would have been more interesting to compare those "kurz" rounds to a 9mm. Thanks for sharing.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

Agreed. Small fmj and head shots. If your going to carry a small caliber weapon practice head shots. IMHO 7 to 10 ft

The FMJ almost got into the 3rd layer. It bulged the back side of the 2nd layer quite a bit.

uploadfromtaptalk1369785253590.jpg

The HP did not visibly bulge the 2nd piece.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Nice. How about a 9mm comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Agreed. Small fmj and head shots. If your going to carry a small caliber weapon practice head shots. IMHO 7 to 10 ft
    Or the also effective "Bow Tie" shot.

Terry

IMO.............the .380 Cal. is an up close and personal way of saying, your threatening my life. Even at the 21'-0 distance used on the targets, that's pushing it...IMO.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    If your going to carry a small caliber weapon practice head shots. IMHO 7 to 10 ft
    I hope this is satire or zombie humor.
    maxwell97, marcclarke and fredg53 like this.

Whatever caliber...practice head shots

Lessons learned - facing the invincible attacker
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Nice. How about a 9mm comparison?
    I don't have a 9. But now I wish I would've taken my .38 along for comparison.

when carrying a 380 acp, 32 acp, and or 25 acp the fmj bullet is best. many mango seasons ago i did a test with a kel tec p3at and several ten inches of wet and bound phone books. the fmj went all the way through from five feet out. the hp ammo did not go far into the phone books and did not expand. went in about four inches from 5 feet out. i used several of the name brand hp ammo (hydro shock, gold dot). the ball ammo was several different brands. all brand of the fmj did the job. in other words that is way i carry fmj ball ammo in my 380.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    when carrying a 380 acp, 32 acp, and or 25 acp the fmj bullet is best. many mango seasons ago i did a test with a kel tec p3at and several ten inches of wet and bound phone books. the fmj went all the way through from five feet out. the hp ammo did not go far into the phone books and did not expand. went in about four inches from 5 feet out. i used several of the name brand hp ammo (hydro shock, gold dot). the ball ammo was several different brands. all brand of the fmj did the job. in other words that is way i carry fmj ball ammo in my 380.
    Cool. The fmj is half the price too.

First off, thanks for doing the test and sharing with us.

Ehh I'm really on the fence about .380, I'm struggling with the idea of getting a pocket pistol (LCP, TCP) chambered in it but still not sure. The super light weight and small size is appealing to say the least (12oz for a loaded 7rd gun the size of a cell phone) but if I am only going to have one gun on me I need to be able to tryst it's ability to stop a threat (a real, plausible one not the zombie crap). I still don't know...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links