Springfield XDs defense ammo

This is a discussion on Springfield XDs defense ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious what everyone is carrying in their XDs for defense ammo. I picked up some hornady custom 185gr XTP but it was the only ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XDs defense ammo

Springfield XDs defense ammo

Just curious what everyone is carrying in their XDs for defense ammo. I picked up some hornady custom 185gr XTP but it was the only thing available. Any to avoid as far as cycling issues, etc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Remove Ads

Personally I'd go with a heavier 230 gr round since you'll lose velocity out of the shorter barrel, but if that's all you've got it'll do just fine so long as it cycles in your gun.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I like the 230 gold dots or the federal HST 230. Both shoot great and have a good spread shot out of the short barrel of the XDS

If all you got was a box I would go throw at least a mag down range so you know it functions. Aside from that the XTP is a great round. If tap someone with a 185gr bullet they will take notice. Carry in confidence and chive on.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by phil413tx View Post
    I like the 230 gold dots or the federal HST 230. Both shoot great and have a good spread shot out of the short barrel of the XDS

^^This^^
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27
    Springfield XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

I just bought the gun and haven't had a chance to even shoot it yet. I've got some 230gr FMJ to break it in before I try out some defensive ammo. I was able to pick up two boxes of the XTP to try. I was just curious if the 185gr would be better expansion due to higher velocity out of the short barrel. I'd love to find some gold dot short barrel but I probably have a better chance at hitting a unicorn in the morning driving to work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I carry 230 grain hydra-shocks. Available locally so I can practice regularly. I know the round may be outdated and there are better options but its a proven round. I'm looking into ordering some winchester ranger T in 230 grain, that round seems brutal.

Currently carrying this. Pocket Guns and Gear: Federal Premium 45 Auto 230 Grain HST - 6 Shot Terminal test

Will be switching over to the +P version IF it's not going to require a bunch of extra practice to deal with the increased recoil.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I carry 185gr Gold Dots. They cycle in my XDS reliably.

I chose these rounds because they were available in a 50rd box for a relatively good price ($39).

When I get the chance to buy a few 50rd boxes of 230gr Gold Dots I will switch over my carry ammo to the heavier grain bullets.

However, I feel very comfortable carrying the 185's and I believe they would perform if needed.

I will say that, while the XDS is "snappy" to begin with, the 185gr gold dots feel even "snappier", probably because of the increased velocity... Just my personal observation.

I might look at the 200gr +P Gold Dot... That might be a good choice for such a short barrel.
    Owner, Maple Leaf Firearms LLC (07 FFL/02SOT)

You have to "test" your gun, every gun will not be exactly the same. I spent a whole day shooting every different round we could find and get in my XD, and it didn't care what I stuck in it, it worked flawlessly.

One reason I love that XD.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

After viewing some calibrated ballistic gel test done with an XDs, it looks like the Speer 230 grain Gold dot is the top performer as it penetrates more then 12 inches. I usually carry 185 gr. Golden Sabers with my small .45's but after seeing them both tested out of an XDs I went to the Gold Dots and that I what I recommend. Check them out on YouTube.
    The Old Gunhand - gun news all in one place.

Somehow I ended up with only Sigs, HKs and S&W J-frames.

Yeah, I have some of everything but I like the Gold Dot 230gr short barrel.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27
    Springfield XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

I currently carry the Hornady TAP 200 gr. +p in my XDs. Shoots great and recoil is very managable. I'd love to find some Federal 230 gr. HST but that's been futile so far.

Here's a couple of interesting videos doing testing with the XDs in .45 acp.

.45 ACP SHORT BARREL test: 230 gr Speer Gold Dot - YouTube

.45 ACP SHORT BARREL test: 230 gr +P Federal HST - YouTube

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    This old dog still thinks that the 200gr hp is the best but as I have said b4 shoot what you use and use what you shoot. For me sticking with the same set up I know what is going the happen when the need is at hand no question no doubts.

I use Federal 230g Hydra-Shok
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links