Successful WallyWorld Circuit today!

This is a discussion on Successful WallyWorld Circuit today! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Keep in mind, I practice, and I practice regularly. Some people play golf, others play darts or bowl, I go to the range, and I ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By liquid150
  • 1 Post By ChadliusNH
  • 4 Post By lionround
  • 1 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By tony1990

Thread: Successful WallyWorld Circuit today!

Successful WallyWorld Circuit today!

Keep in mind, I practice, and I practice regularly. Some people play golf, others play darts or bowl, I go to the range, and I am sure that most of the members of this forum are the same. My range often has practice rounds in stock, but not always, and it is marked up quite a bit compared to WallyWorld.

I have had horrid luck with Walmart trips for months. I always check when I am in store, or even nearby, and hadn't found a single box of pistol ammunition, much less the calibers with which I practice. I blame this in a large way on the fact that I get in to work just before they stock the shelves, and don't really have time in the mornings to stop by on my way to work. I've only been able to try to pop in on weekends. By a random stroke of luck my office is closed today due to a large storm we had on Friday apparently knocking out power to the building. Security wasn't letting anybody even go in to retrieve their laptops to work at home. So I decided, what the heck, there's a Walmart on the way home and I'm running low on practice rounds.

Stopped by the store, and went straight to sporting goods. The guy at the counter was just unboxing a shipment to put on the shelves. He said they had .22LR, .45 ACP, some 5.56 and 7.62x39. I hadn't seen .22LR for a long time, either, and grabbed a cube (because who doesn't like to plink with a .22?). Encouraged, I decided to make a circuit around the city. Drove out to another store in the county, and they had 2 boxes of Winchester and about 24 boxes of Federal on the shelves. I picked up the limit, 3 boxes of Federal. The next Walmart I visited had 24 boxes of Federal on the shelves too. Picked up their limit, 6 boxes.

I found it interesting that they had so much more Federal than they had Winchester. Is it possible that Federal is priming the pump to catch up to the market? With all the hysteria the past 6 months I know that there are tons of new handgun owners which naturally will shift the demand curve for ammunition. I know there is a lot of hoarding going on, and people ripping off others by having friends buy WallyWorld shipments and selling them on Gunbroker, etc. I also think a big part of this is all the new gun owners pushing demand by wanting to practice with their new firearms. Is it possible Federal is trying to balance production with demand, and doing so a little faster than other big manufacturers?

Some people may criticize me for driving around and buying up my limit at every store in town, but it's hard to beat Wally's prices. At least I will have enough ammo for 3 or 4 trips to the range, and not have to call ahead to the range to find out if they have ammo for me to use and then paying ~23% more for it. Trust me, this stuff will be used, and probably a lot faster than I would like.
    tony1990 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I think the general consensus is that if you're low on a caliber, and it's on the shelf for a decent price...Buy it.
    Eric357 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    If it will save you a trip, you can go to Walmart ammo lookup and put in your state and caliber. Then find a store and force update. It takes about a minute, but they have dates and times that the ammo hit the store. It's not infallible, but it is pretty good.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    If it will save you a trip, you can go to Walmart ammo lookup and put in your state and caliber. Then find a store and force update. It takes about a minute, but they have dates and times that the ammo hit the store. It's not infallible, but it is pretty good.
    Cool! Thanks!

Hoarder! Hoarder! Hoarder!

There!, Now don't you feel bad?

Congrats on having the time and presence of mind to garner some practice ammo. Did they have any SD ammo, or was it all just practice stuff?

BTW - What part of St Louis? We have friends there and they say Earth City and St Charles got it pretty bad by yesterday's storms?
    perfection likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Hoarder! Hoarder! Hoarder!

There!, Now don't you feel bad?

Congrats on having the time and presence of mind to garner some practice ammo. Did they have any SD ammo, or was it all just practice stuff?

BTW - What part of St Louis? We have friends there and they say Earth City and St Charles got it pretty bad by yesterday's storms?
    Nah, still happy!

I live in south St. Louis city. I did hear the western communities got hit pretty bad by the storms, which might have been the ones that put my office out of power. There was a tornado warning in my area from the storm on Friday, too.

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    Thanks for the site.

Yay. It can be had if you try hard enough.

I scored 500 rounds American Eagle 9mm FMJ in a steel case and some bricks of .22lr the past couple weeks. No price gouging. The perks of living minutes from Cabelas and Super Walmart :)

Quote Originally Posted by liquid150 View Post
    Keep in mind, I practice, and I practice regularly. Some people play golf, others play darts or bowl, I go to the range, and I am sure that most of the members of this forum are the same. My range often has practice rounds in stock, but not always, and it is marked up quite a bit compared to WallyWorld.

I have had horrid luck with Walmart trips for months. I always check when I am in store, or even nearby, and hadn't found a single box of pistol ammunition, much less the calibers with which I practice. I blame this in a large way on the fact that I get in to work just before they stock the shelves, and don't really have time in the mornings to stop by on my way to work. I've only been able to try to pop in on weekends. By a random stroke of luck my office is closed today due to a large storm we had on Friday apparently knocking out power to the building. Security wasn't letting anybody even go in to retrieve their laptops to work at home. So I decided, what the heck, there's a Walmart on the way home and I'm running low on practice rounds.

Stopped by the store, and went straight to sporting goods. The guy at the counter was just unboxing a shipment to put on the shelves. He said they had .22LR, .45 ACP, some 5.56 and 7.62x39. I hadn't seen .22LR for a long time, either, and grabbed a cube (because who doesn't like to plink with a .22?). Encouraged, I decided to make a circuit around the city. Drove out to another store in the county, and they had 2 boxes of Winchester and about 24 boxes of Federal on the shelves. I picked up the limit, 3 boxes of Federal. The next Walmart I visited had 24 boxes of Federal on the shelves too. Picked up their limit, 6 boxes.

I found it interesting that they had so much more Federal than they had Winchester. Is it possible that Federal is priming the pump to catch up to the market? With all the hysteria the past 6 months I know that there are tons of new handgun owners which naturally will shift the demand curve for ammunition. I know there is a lot of hoarding going on, and people ripping off others by having friends buy WallyWorld shipments and selling them on Gunbroker, etc. I also think a big part of this is all the new gun owners pushing demand by wanting to practice with their new firearms. Is it possible Federal is trying to balance production with demand, and doing so a little faster than other big manufacturers?

Some people may criticize me for driving around and buying up my limit at every store in town, but it's hard to beat Wally's prices. At least I will have enough ammo for 3 or 4 trips to the range, and not have to call ahead to the range to find out if they have ammo for me to use and then paying ~23% more for it. Trust me, this stuff will be used, and probably a lot faster than I would like.
    Having enough ammo for 3 or 4 trips to the range is not that much ammo. Buy a few more boxs.
    perfection likes this.
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I am looking forward to the day when you can go anywhere that sells ammo and you can buy what you like without box limits.

Quote Originally Posted by tony1990 View Post
    Having enough ammo for 3 or 4 trips to the range is not that much ammo. Buy a few more boxs.
    For me it has been a lot, at least since late last year. All last year I had no problems finding ammo, and ever since about January it has been a nightmare.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    I just picked up 2 boxes of Federal 9 mm a few minutes ago. It was $20.37 for box of 100.They had about 10 boxes. They also had some more of the ppu for $14.97 /50.

I went to a LGS to have some night sights installed. They had a bunch of boxes of 50 in 9mm. They were selling them for $23! Holy cow that's insane!

I passed. I will stick with buying in bulk when I can from Walmart.

Links