Ammo time in stock appears to be lengthening - end of the panic?

This is a discussion on Ammo time in stock appears to be lengthening - end of the panic? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the Jan-Feb time frame the ammo would vanish off sites almost as soon as it appeared. Gunbot is an example - one day I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo time in stock appears to be lengthening - end of the panic?

VIP Member

In the Jan-Feb time frame the ammo would vanish off sites almost as soon as it appeared. Gunbot is an example - one day I watched, almost in real time by using a browser refresh, 9mm ammo deplete from a supplier. Today I've notice ammo supplies persisting, and prices falling slightly. 9mm is still scarce, but not as bad as before. 38 special, on the other hand, appears to be making a comeback, and in the 35 cents per round range.

.22's also appear to be persisting, and prices falling 12 - 15 cents a round range (still outrageously high for me, though).

Even Midway is managing to keep some things in stock for more than five minutes.

The "pre-panic" priced stuff still disappears quickly, but panic price threshold appears to be falling, which is a good sign.

Couple this with the slow burn 2A voting backlash that appears to be on the rise, and it appears the panic is nearing an end.

Do you think I am being Pollyannish, or are these tea leaves for real?
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I walked into a LGS today and cases of ammo stacked around the store. 9, 40, 45 and even 22s. Prices are still a little high but it was nice to see product on the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    In the Jan-Feb time frame the ammo would vanish off sites almost as soon as it appeared. Gunbot is an example - one day I watched, almost in real time by using a browser refresh, 9mm ammo deplete from a supplier. Today I've notice ammo supplies persisting, and prices falling slightly. 9mm is still scarce, but not as bad as before. 38 special, on the other hand, appears to be making a comeback, and in the 35 cents per round range.

.22's also appear to be persisting, and prices falling 12 - 15 cents a round range (still outrageously high for me, though).

Even Midway is managing to keep some things in stock for more than five minutes.

The "pre-panic" priced stuff still disappears quickly, but panic price threshold appears to be falling, which is a good sign.

Couple this with the slow burn 2A voting backlash that appears to be on the rise, and it appears the panic is nearing an end.

Do you think I am being Pollyannish, or are these tea leaves for real?
    I've been watching Gunbot prices for 9mm pretty closely now too for the past few months. Over the winter there was just none to be had. Now there is always plenty available, though the lower priced stuff goes quickly. Over the past 2 weeks, I'm seeing more and more deals last longer at lower prices. I'm seeing some stuff under 30 cents a round pop up a few times a day. I'm pretty sure the next time I need to buy ammo, I can get 500-1000 rounds on line for under 35 cents in a day or so.

Still not seeing much of anything on the shelves around here, at least for 9mm. .223 appears to be plentiful, though I don't shoot it so I can't comment on local prices.

At lest there is some ammo availible. Lets hope this is previews to coming attractions. (More ammo)

One of the best signs I have seen recently was a visit to a LGS and the handgun ammo was out on a table and NOT behind the counter (as I've seen recently). Most ammo (.9 .40 .45) had good stock, although owner said he still keeps .380 off the floor.
    Last edited by southernwi; June 4th, 2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: sentence didn't make sense. :)

I actually saw some 9mm in a LGS for the first time since last year. It was priced a little too high, but I couldn't help buying a box. They actually had about 20 boxes. It was nice to see.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Here in Wichita Ks. not much has changed. I haven't seen stacks of ammo anywhere. 9mm .45acp .223 5.56 .308 & .22 LR. sells out within hours if not minutes from the time its stocked. My local Walmart rolls out a shoping cart into the sporting goods dept. around 7:00 AM. There is always a line & the cart emptys quickly.

I have given up on ever finding the above mentioned ammo at Cabelas, Gander or Sports Authority.Woulden't go to Dick's if I knew they had ammo!

Academy however, with there one box per caliber limit does the best at keeping at least some ammo on the shelfs. I stop by there 3 times or so a week after work and find one box of something maybe once a week.

My guess is a year or two before things become normal again.

This really Sucks.

I've seen a few mentions of gunbot, but not wikiarms, which I think is a more accurate site, IMHO

I think it's real. The local WM's have had ammo I actually wanted over the past few weeks (.22LR, .223, .38 special, .40). My LGS seems to have a decent supply every time I walk in, but the prices are a little higher than I'm willing to pay. Gunbot seems to have a decent selection.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    It is starting to look a little better. I thought I had a score on 10mm from Midway at $22.99 a box of 50 but they had a 2 box limit and shipping was just under $20 so that brought it up to about the same as the LGS and I would rather give them the business when the price is the same.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I went into my local Academy on Saturday. The shelves looked full, but 9mm, .40, .45, .38 spcl, .380 and .22lr were still no where to be seen. They did have decent quantities of 308, .223 behind the customer service counter. Most hunting rifle calibers were fully stocked along woth shotgun shell and the less popular handgun round. Time to buy a 41 mag or 44 mag?

Yeah, it is slowly getting better, but I still think it will be another six months or so until you can go in to the store and be sure to get ammo, and another year until you can go in and get exactly what you want (WWB 115gr vs. Remington 147 gr, etc.)

To the OP: I like your avatar -- "There are some who call me....... Tim?"
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    My local Walmart had .223's on the shelf Sunday night that I know came in Saturday morning.

VIP Member
    Locally, things have remained essentially unchanged. If you get to Dunhams within a couple of hours of the truck arrival, you can buy 200 rounds of each caliber they may have in stock. By early afternoon, it will be gone. The LGS is selling WWB 9mm at $70/100 rounds. The local Walmart shelves remain bare, so I suspect to help has worked out arrangements with the select few when ammo does come in.

The good news is that the store I frequent, Sportsmen's Den in Shelby, Ohio has plenty of guns and ammo in stock at reasonable prices and without limitations.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Definitely seeing a little relief from the crunch around here. My LGS seems to be able to keep 5.56/.223 on the shelf most of the time now, albeit at higher prices ($10-$12/box vs. $7 pre-panic), and he's usually got a 5-box limit. I dropped by yesterday and he had a shelf full of 9mm in both 115gr. and 147gr. It was all FMJ, and priced at $17/50.

One pleasant surprise is that he's been keeping some 7.62x51 in stock at $35/50 ($.70/round). This is decent (CBC/MagTech) brass cased ammo at a price better than I'm able to find online, even for the Russian steel stuff.

So yes, I think you're right that things are getting ever so slightly better.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links