SD for snakes. .38 caliber shotshells?

This is a discussion on SD for snakes. .38 caliber shotshells? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone give me any feedback about .38 special shotshells? I apparently have a LARGE snake living under my porch and am going to have ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: SD for snakes. .38 caliber shotshells?

Can anyone give me any feedback about .38 special shotshells? I apparently have a LARGE snake living under my porch and am going to have to dispatch said snake.

TIA
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

How big a snake? Can you borrow a shotgun?

Be sure not to shoot up your utilities under there.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Killing Native Snakes in Tennessee

It is illegal to kill any species of snakes native to the state of Tennessee, venomous or non-venomous. The only rare exception is made for a homeowner who feels genuinely threatened by a snake. This exception particularly applies to a homeowner who finds a snake inside of their home. It is also legal to defend livestock that are being threatened by a snake. This means that it is always illegal to go out into the wild and kill a snake in its natural Tennessee habitat.

Thought I would post this just in case you weren't aware of it.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I go through a bunch every year. They do pretty good at close range. Snake will likely take a couple of shots unless you get a close range head shot. This is one round where the reloader really saves $$$$.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Killing Native Snakes in Tennessee

It is illegal to kill any species of snakes native to the state of Tennessee, venomous or non-venomous. The only rare exception is made for a homeowner who feels genuinely threatened by a snake. This exception particularly applies to a homeowner who finds a snake inside of their home. It is also legal to defend livestock that are being threatened by a snake. This means that it is always illegal to go out into the wild and kill a snake in its natural Tennessee habitat.

Thought I would post this just in case you weren't aware of it.
    I was not aware of that. Thanks. I have not seen the snake, but my 15 year old grandson tells me it is 9 feet long and about as big around as a half dollar. I would not feel threatened by a 3 foot garden snake, but this thing, if his report is correct, is huge. And my only livestock are my dogs. A Yorkie and a Maltese, either of which would be just a snack for a snake that large.

If, and I reiterate, if his report is correct, I would feel threatened. Call me a wussie, but yeah I would.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    -- Steven Wright
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I would defend my property, family and dogs. But it would be a stealth operation, unknown to ANYONE! Word spreads if you know what I mean. Good luck.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

So, I probably should not post pictures on the TN Dept of Wildlife and Game website, huh? OK, I get it. Mum's the word.
    bigmacque and Spirit51 like this.
    -- Steven Wright
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

If it's that long and that skinny it may very well be taking care of vermin (maybe an unseen and worse problem) and pose absolutely no threat to your dogs. I'd try to ID it first and then go from there - there are no venomous snakes that long in TN.

I have four wooded acres and have noticed a shortage of mice this spring. Maybe, just maybe you hit on something there nedrgr21.
    -- Steven Wright
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Do you have a game camera? Maybe put it up and try to snap some pictures. You might be able to tell weather it's a good guy or not. I don't do well with snakes. I put my bike up in my glorified shed, and saw a bull frog hopping around one evening (didn't think anything about it). Rode to work the next day, put the bike up and heard a hiss. I hauled out of there. Forgetting about that hiss, the next day I was going to go for an afternoon ride, walked in my shed, started to throw my leg over the motorcycle, and heard a LOUD hiss. Got out, looked down, and coiled underneath my motorcycle was a massive water moccasin. Found out where the frog went. Now I knock before I enter, hoping the noise will scare anything out, and look under my bike every time. I didn't shoot that one. However, last year I was mowing, moved the dog house and a copper head had make a home underneath it. He was a risk to my livestock. Long story short, if you come to the conclusion that this thing is a risk to you or your livestock, .22 lr ought to work. Be careful, don't get bit, and good luck
    oneshot likes this.
    Something witty

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Okay, just my weird sense of humor, but I can't resist.

The title of this thread is SD for snakes. Why are we talking about what to shoot the snake with, shouldn't we be talking about what caliber the snake should carry?

I'm sorry .... I just couldn't resist.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Snakes don't bother me, about the only reasons I'd do anything about yours would be if it were either poisonous, or a constrictor,which could be quite dangerous at that length, but I woud expect the girth to exceed half-dollar size by quite a bit on a snake that big. I echo trying to safely ID the beast 1st, if it's helping you out, leave it alone, if it's a threat, take it out.
    oneshot likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member
    Two things we do where I live put out some flour so you can see the tracks of the snake gives you a size and if they leave and return you know they are living under the porch. My guess is just visiting to have lunch and gone. If you hold a gun out at arm length and move it in a slow circle then stop and pull the trigger the snakes head will be shot. They will line up their head to the barrell every time. This is how they get those pictures for the movies of the cowboy shooting off the head of the snake.

The second is we have what us ranchers, farmers call the three S's Shoot , Shovel, Shut-up. There is no secret if two people know about it. Once you get the sign the flour just washes away with the garden hose.
    oneshot and dangerranger like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I think a grain of salt should handle the report of a 9-foot snake quite nicely.
    Rock and Glock and Dadsnugun like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links