Best .22 round for this little backup gun

This is a discussion on Best .22 round for this little backup gun within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really tried to do a search for this but search results for ".22 round" is just impossible to sift through. Yesterday I bought one ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Best .22 round for this little backup gun

I really tried to do a search for this but search results for ".22 round" is just impossible to sift through. Yesterday I bought one of the very small NAA .22lr revolvers. I intend to carry this little rascal only in those times when no other type of carry gun is practical. My question is... What type/brand/style of .22 round would be the best defensive round to carry in this gun? I understand that a .22 is not a good choice for a defensive round but in this case I wanted the smallest/lightest/simplest gun to carry. Are there any .22 rounds that are specifically labeled as self defense rounds? If not, what type of round would you be most comfortabe with? Any input is appreciated.

CCI stingers...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    CCI stingers...
    Thats it. You may be better with a good knife.
    Harryball and KnifeGuy like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Thats it. You may be better with a good knife.
    I am glad someone said it
    KnifeGuy likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    CCI stingers...
    I would agree with the CCI load here. Might be a bit snappy on the recoil with that little blaster though.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

High velocity 40 grain solids and nothing but high velocity 40 grain solids. In the event of emergency use, you will have a crying need for penetration and adequate penetration is all you've got to hope for. Forget expanding bullet designs and go for weight and penetration.

The "good knife" recommendation has a lot of merit if you don't intend to do any more damage than shoot an assailant with one of these. I've chronographed a relatives' and velocity was very low, like around 700 fps.

These revolvers are cute and make great adult toys but are pitiful as serious concealed carry medicine. Low, low powered and awkward to operate, with a poor design for grasping. Often the same folks who will promote the "latest and greatest" auto-pistol as essential for effective self-defense will flip-flop and tote a watch-fob single-action .22 as a back-up. Then there are the folks willing to depend on one of them as a primary if gun fighting is anticipated. If gun fighting isn't anticipated then why carry at all?

These tiny revolvers' defenders are welcome to carry them.

Only a personal opinion.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks for the input fellas. I understand that there isn't much punch with such a short barrel. It is very true that the grip isn't very user-friendly and the entire gun in general is somewhat akward to manipulate. Like I said, this will rarely be used but I do think I would be more comfortable with it than a knife. I don't know why, but I have never been really been one to carry a knife. Maybe I should look into that option as well. In any case, it is a neat little rig and the quality of fit/finish is excellent.

The best .22 is a .45

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I'll bet that little sucker is loud

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    The best .22 is a .45
    Very helpful information, Thank you for keeping my thread on track.
    maxwell97 and Taurahe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jhogan2424 View Post
    Like I said, this will rarely be used but I do think I would be more comfortable with it than a knife. I don't know why, but I have never been really been one to carry a knife. Maybe I should look into that option as well. In any case, it is a neat little rig and the quality of fit/finish is excellent.
    - I don't have any experience with the .22 as a defensive round, but I wanted to chime in on the knife suggestion. I have always carried a knife. I use it daily for a variety of cutting tasks. Not to mention that you never know when you may need it. There have been numerous stories of people using them to cut seat belts after car accidents, etc.

If you don't have one now, I would suggest buying a quality knife (Kershaw, Spyderco, Benchmade, etc.) and including it in your EDC.
    KnifeGuy likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    I'll bet that little sucker is loud
    Yes Sir it is loud. Me and a friend fired off a few rounds this morning. I believe it is actually louder when standing next to someone else that is shooting it than when actually firing it yourself. It was fun to shoot but like others stated, the grip is akward.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I don't have any experience with the .22 as a defensive round, but I wanted to chime in on the knife suggestion. I have always carried a knife. I use it daily for a variety of cutting tasks. Not to mention that you never know when you may need it. There have been numerous stories of people using them to cut seat belts after car accidents, etc.

If you don't have one now, I would suggest buying a quality knife (Kershaw, Spyderco, Benchmade, etc.) and including it in your EDC.
    Thanks for the info, I was just about to ask for suggestions on knife brands but you read my mind. Do you carry a single or double edge?

Administrator
    Actually Bob Munden popped a balloon at 200 Yards with a tiny North American Arms .22 revolver.
    He did it on the second try with the wind blowing.

The guy WAS damn good.

Did you folks know that smallest NAA .22 was a firearm of choice for some hit men?
    They would cock it and then "palm it" using their thumb to hold it hidden in hand
    Then they would quickly walk right up to the intended unsuspecting victim and pop that person right between the eyes and just keep on walking.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

...I know personally a culture that used the 29 grain .22 short hollow point because that was all their little $6 RG10s would chamber...some even used the solid point...it was very common to see one shot two or three times in the chest...still walking around arguing about the card game or chicken leg that sparked the shooting...and bleed out on the operating table...too many holes to sew up...the small bullets bounce a lot...but penetrating a human chest wall doesn't take that much...

...on the other hand...I want as much tearing and ripping as the powder can produce, so the Stinger has been my choice in handgun or rifle of .22 caliber(don't own one that won't chamber .22LR...)...with the speed/power available, it seems the most physical trauma that can be inflicted would cause the most bleeding, and bleeding out's the best hope you have of stopping someone with a .22 rimfire...unless you make a very effective head shot...
    tdave likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links