Manufacturers Ammo Lines

This is a discussion on Manufacturers Ammo Lines within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually shoot Winchester white box or similar priced Federal ammo in 9mm and 45acp. This stuff, although usually reliable, is dirty. I tried some ...

Thread: Manufacturers Ammo Lines

Manufacturers Ammo Lines

I usually shoot Winchester white box or similar priced Federal ammo in 9mm and 45acp. This stuff, although usually reliable, is dirty. I tried some precision delta match ammo, that while more expensive, seems much cleaner and more accurate.

It's no doubt just me but I have a heck of a time with the major manufacturer's websites figuring out what the differences are between their product lines. And when it may be justified to buy a "better" ammo.

Can someone point me to a source of info or briefly explain the differences to me?

Tnx much.

2. Remove Ads

Winchester:

For the centerfire handgun, under the Legendary Innovation title, that's their self defense ammo. Advanced Technology stuff is hunting oriented but the WinClean NT is lead free primers and completely jacketed bullets to minimize airborne lead particles for indoor range use. Proven Performance, the Super X line is their standard blasting and hunting ammo. The Lead ammo is cowboy action ammo for older guns with soft steel. The Best Value stuff is the cheapest bargain ammo line they offer. That's where your WWB (Winchester White Box) is.

Federal:

Personal Defense is just that. Champion is target ammo for competition. American Eagle is cheap blasting ammo.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    They want you to spend as much as possible. The expensive stuff is cleaner than the cheap stuff. I just buy whatever is available these days. If it runs then your can wear your "available for lethal force" Tshirt.

//sarcasmoff//
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Winchester:

For the centerfire handgun, under the Legendary Innovation title, that's their self defense ammo. Advanced Technology stuff is hunting oriented but the WinClean NT is lead free primers and completely jacketed bullets to minimize airborne lead particles for indoor range use. Proven Performance, the Super X line is their standard blasting and hunting ammo. The Lead ammo is cowboy action ammo for older guns with soft steel. The Best Value stuff is the cheapest bargain ammo line they offer. That's where your WWB (Winchester White Box) is.

Federal:

Personal Defense is just that. Champion is target ammo for competition. American Eagle is cheap blasting ammo.
    Tnx

Most "Personal Defense Ammo" is also Flash Suppressed and that is one of the reasons it costs more plus the projectile it is topped off with.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

I started out with 40 cals as my carry guns. I shot a variety of ammo thru them (SIG & STEYR), and they would both chamber & run on about any ammo. However, the win white box seemed to be the worst.

I only started buying win white box again during this ammo shortage, as walmart & cabelas had it. ALSO, the win brass is considered (by some), to be superior for reloading.

For training, practice, and plinking, I like both Wolf, and S&B. S&B seems to make some really good ammo. Certainly good for training, at the price it normally is.

One thing interesting; A certain famous firearms trainer says that he has seen every kind of ammo go through his courses. And that the ONLY two that he has never seen have a massive failure from, were Wolf, and UMC.

I have shot a bunch of wolf 9mm, not so much UMC, as the wolf was cheaper. No problems whatsoever with 9mm. Now wolf .223 is another story, lol.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    As a side note I bought some WW Box .40 180 gr. bonded for $19.99 at Walmart. After closely examining the ammo it appears to be identical to the Win Ranger bonded. I looked up the specs on both and guess what? They were identical! This makes me think that the WW Box in this case is Ranger ammo overruns with much cheaper packaging. YMMV.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Links