410 ammo for ccw

This is a discussion on 410 ammo for ccw within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What ammo do you carry for you ccw in a 410?...

View Poll Results: 410 ccw ammo

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winchester PDX

11 44.00%
  • 000 Buck

11 44.00%
  • #4 Bird Shot

0 0%
  • Slug

3 12.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 410 ammo for ccw

410 ammo for ccw

What ammo do you carry for you ccw in a 410?

2. Remove Ads

If it's one of the .45/.410 revolvers I'd skip the .410 completely and carry a good .45 Colt semi-wadcutter load. While it'd be a bummer to be shot with any of those choices offered, none of them give me the warm, fuzzy feeling of possessing truly effective self-defense goodness compared with a standard big-bore revolver round.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Good article here: Taurus Judge Ammunition: Feeding the Judge

Given your choices, I elect "none of the above." If forced to choose, I'd go with the Win PDX.

None of the choices seems to be a devastating round. Bird shot, I can state from personal experience, is NOT. The slug is interesting, but the heaviest rifled slug is only 1/4 oz or 109 grains, compared to a .45 Colt load of about 250 grains. The 000 buck sounds interesting, but not with just 4 pellets. What's not listed here is the Federal 3" load with #4 buck, with 9 pellets at 950 ft/sec. Push me into a corner to use a shotshell round, that's what I'd pick.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Good article here: Taurus Judge Ammunition: Feeding the Judge

Given your choices, I elect "none of the above." If forced to choose, I'd go with the Win PDX.

None of the choices seems to be a devastating round. Bird shot, I can state from personal experience, is NOT. The slug is interesting, but the heaviest rifled slug is only 1/4 oz or 109 grains, compared to a .45 Colt load of about 250 grains. The 000 buck sounds interesting, but not with just 4 pellets. What's not listed here is the Federal 3" load with #4 buck, with 9 pellets at 950 ft/sec. Push me into a corner to use a shotshell round, that's what I'd pick.
    Good points. The PDX seems like a pretty good concept, and the ballistics gel results are good, but it's hard to make any recommendation with so little data. Has anyone ever been shot with .410 PDX? I honestly don't know.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    If it's one of the .45/.410 revolvers I'd skip the .410 completely and carry a good .45 Colt semi-wadcutter load. While it'd be a bummer to be shot with any of those choices offered, none of them give me the warm, fuzzy feeling of possessing truly effective self-defense goodness compared with a standard big-bore revolver round.
    Agree. And if it's a shotty, I would think just about anything other than birdshot would be sufficient.

Why not the 000? I've not seen the gel results for .410 000 in a pistol, but they've got to be reasonable, no?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

I chose the .410 Slug and here's why. It's a rather large projectile and I surmise it would do considerable damage. It's all moot tho since I don't own a Judge or a 410 shotty nor would I ever own either. Just a personal thing w/me
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I do not carry my judge, too big for that. But I keep it loaded for in home defense with the PDX1 in the first three chambers followed by two 45 colt hollow points in the last two chambers. If the PDX does not do the job then I feel sure the 45 will finish it. If all else fails I still have my Springfield 1911 with CT laser grips to follow up with. I doubt any bad guy would get past the judge.

If you're sure the .45 Colt will do the job, (and it will) then it should be in all five chambers.

Why people buy the Judge is beyond me. It does nothing that other guns cant do better.

Marketing is strong with this one.

thanks everyone.

i'm carrying a bond arms now and will add a second one as a bug.

both will packing 410 shells for ccw.

i just wanted a consensus as to what everyone else would pack in their guns.

I wish the PDX had an extra disc instead of the birdshot. I think that would be more useful. I vote for maximizing payload on target with buckshot.
    gun_bushido likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I would go with the 45's... Gold Dot 250 gr HP's. They expand really pretty @ 750 fps...at least in gel....another good round would be the 225 gr Buffalo Bore hard cast full wadcutters. Buffalo Bore and others carry +P ammo in colt 45 but not sure if this revolver is rated for the hotter +P loads.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    What's not listed here is the Federal 3" load with #4 buck, with 9 pellets at 950 ft/sec. Push me into a corner to use a shotshell round, that's what I'd pick.
    I'm pretty sure most Judges and other .410/.45LC revolvers don't accept 3" shells... just 2.5"

I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by highorder View Post
    If you're sure the .45 Colt will do the job, (and it will) then it should be in all five chambers.

Why people buy the Judge is beyond me. It does nothing that other guns cant do better.

Marketing is strong with this one.
    You are right on Sir

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I'm pretty sure most Judges and other .410/.45LC revolvers don't accept 3" shells... just 2.5"

I could be wrong
    correct.

my 3" barrel bond arms will not shoot the 3" shells.

if and when i buy one of the longer barrels, i can shoot the longer ones.

and yes, i know the 45 colt is superior to the 410 shot shell, that's why the poll is on 410s, not including the 45.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links