40 caliber round that will change a BG's channel???

This is a discussion on 40 caliber round that will change a BG's channel??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Believe me I know there's no Magic bullet but what brand & weight 40 caliber round do you carry with the proper shot placement would ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 40 caliber round that will change a BG's channel???

40 caliber round that will change a BG's channel???

Believe me I know there's no Magic bullet but
    what brand & weight 40 caliber round do you carry with the proper shot placement would give you the potential to change a BG's channel --long enough to buy you time for follow up shots to survive a lethal encounter? This round will be used for self-defense. Thanks for the information.

2. Remove Ads

Any robustly expanding and deeply penetrating JHP that my handgun will feed 100% reliably.

At the heavier end of the spectrum is preferable to lighter.

In this case, 165gr or 180gr HST, Ranger-T, Gold Dot, or Golden Saber. Whichever my pistol preferred.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

You're right, there is no golden bullet...so follow-up rounds need to be considered in ANY caliber.

I've carried .40 S&W for 18 years with 180 gr. Remington Golden Saber...
    goldshellback and zonker1986 like this.

You'll get various answers to your question. One common answer is that any premium SD round will do the job, as long as you do yours. And this is true. Having said that, I carry HSTs and Gold Dots, both 180 gr, in my .40s., but as I said, just about any decent HP round will work.
    5lima30ret likes this.

I'm not expert but if I was carrying a forty I'd opt for Federal HSTs if I could find them. I wouldn't be a bit afraid to carry Gold Dots, either. The Winchester Ranger has a good reputation as well.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Like the other posters said, any major brand .40 with a bonded 180 gr should do the trick if you do your part .
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Cause I am a newbie at this For my Ruger SR40C I try to get Winchester White Box for the range (the last box I purchased was 165Gr., though I would prefer heavier) My SD loads are Hornady Critical Duty 175Gr. I have been recycling the ones I have had chambered, and will shoot them at the range next time I get there.

I am open for other suggestions and have been reading this thread with interest.

Guns are not deathrays folks. Shoot till the threat is eliminated. Stoke you favorite blaster with the best most accurate round you can. And make sure it functions in your favorite blaster. Among all stay safe and carry on.

I can only speak for my part, but id go 165gr golden saber.

VIP Member
    If you are doing your part with good shot placement (and quick, accurate follow ups if necessary) any quality .40 round made for self defense is probably going to do its job. That said, I'd pick either the 180 gr. HST or Ranger T round, assuming I could find enough to function test with in addition to a carrying supply.

Whatever round you choose, be sure to function test some just to make sure there are no feed issues with your particular firearm.
    Taurahe likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Guns are not deathrays folks. Shoot till the threat is eliminated. Stoke you favorite blaster with the best most accurate round you can. And make sure it functions in your favorite blaster. Among all stay safe and carry on.
    +1.
    I never even practice the double tap anymore. At most I'll shoot two to the body and one or two to the head. We had to many OIS's where only two rounds were shot after which the offender still stayed up.

I always thought the beauty of the .40 was in the choices of heavier bullets. Even with my .45s I never carried lighter then the 200 grn ashtray, and now I stay with the 230's.
    "America is held together by one piece of paper"

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Well, I think OP gets that, but the question is what IS that best most accurate round that you have decided on?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    My 40 likes 165gr and my wife likes shooting that combo but as I have said so many times placement placement placement and with that I rest my case

Anything 165 or heavier. I prefer Remington Golden Saber, but my agency still issues Federal Hydra Shock.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

180gr HST, Ranger, or Underwood Gold Dots.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links