DATA NEEDED: Speer Gold Dot 40 Cal. 155gr. jhp

This is a discussion on DATA NEEDED: Speer Gold Dot 40 Cal. 155gr. jhp within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Data Needed on Speer Gold Dot 40 Caliber 155gr. jhp. Does anyone know how effective this round would be for self-defense? Seems not many Police ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: DATA NEEDED: Speer Gold Dot 40 Cal. 155gr. jhp

DATA NEEDED: Speer Gold Dot 40 Cal. 155gr. jhp

Data Needed on Speer Gold Dot 40 Caliber 155gr. jhp.
    Does anyone know how effective this round would be for self-defense? Seems not many Police Depts. are presently using this round --so this in itself raises concern
    with its ability to perform at levels the police would be satisfied with. Thank-you for your time.
    GhostMaker likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I carry the Speer GD 155gr in my g23 along with the Hornady Critical Duty 175gr flex lock,

Here is some testing by TNoutdoors9 .40 Speer Gold Dot 155 gr Ammo test (SIM-test) - YouTube

I would use +P.40 S&W in 155 or 165 grain. That seems to be the best from what I have seen. Our state police carry the .40 and it is for sure + P.

I wouldn't buy a .40S&W +P round as there is no SAAMI spec for it. It's a hot enough round already. If you really wanted a .40S&W +P, then buy a 10mm.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I wouldn't buy a .40S&W +P round as there is no SAAMI spec for it. It's a hot enough round already. If you really wanted a .40S&W +P, then buy a 10mm.
    +1. .40 +P doesn't officially exist, which means the makers that may market such a round may just come up with some arbitrary pressure limit. And besides, many .40 rounds are already pretty hot when compared to other .40s, even without the "+P" rating.
    awoodpd13 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Unless of course you carry an HK USP. No worries about any factory loading being too hot for that gun, and the captive double recoil spring arrangement makes it one of the softer shooting forties out there.
    KoB likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I think you will find that the +P .40 pressure only gets you back to where the round was designed to shoot when it was developed. Most ammo has been watered down.
    Aphdmansoc likes this.

When I think of +P , its for .38sp, 9mm ... I really don't think .40sw needs to be +P.

When I carry a 40S&W, this is the exact round I use.

I'm not too hung up on Gold Dot vs. other types of hollow points. My understanding is that the U.S. Border Patrol used to carry 155 grain hollowpoints, traveling at around 1200 fps, but are now changing to a different round due to the battering the 155 was giving their guns (Berettas, I believe).

There are some agencies whose wisdom in ammo choices doesn't persuade me. However, when the Border Patrol uses a particular round, I pay attention. I don't shoot enough of the Gold Dots for battering to be a serious concern for me.

New Member Array CW2 Ralph Long's Avatar

DATA NEEDED: Speer Gold Dot .40 155

According to Stopping Power by Evan Marshall, the .40 155 grain Gold Dot round was averaging 93% one shot stops by 2002 in some 59 actual self defense shootings.
    Last edited by CW2 Ralph Long; November 15th, 2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: clarification of rlound descirbed in post
    GhostMaker likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    First, .40 +P does not exist. Any ammo labeled as such is pure marketing, so can we please stop the spread of bad info.

Speer Gold Dot is, IMHO, one of the top defensive rounds. You should really look at 180 gr. though. It will out penetrate the lighter 155gr.
    awoodpd13, 5lima30ret, GH and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    When I carry a 40S&W, this is the exact round I use.

I'm not too hung up on Gold Dot vs. other types of hollow points. My understanding is that the U.S. Border Patrol used to carry 155 grain hollowpoints, traveling at around 1200 fps, but are now changing to a different round due to the battering the 155 was giving their guns (Berettas, I believe).

There are some agencies whose wisdom in ammo choices doesn't persuade me. However, when the Border Patrol uses a particular round, I pay attention. I don't shoot enough of the Gold Dots for battering to be a serious concern for me.

It was more because to PC hires were having troubles. All of the Beretta's have been replaced by H&K's which have held up superbly. The BP has gone to a 180 grain HST.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Speer gd is one of the best feeding rounds out there in any caliber. IMHO that means alot. Have never had a weapon that could not feed them reliably.
    GhostMaker likes this.

The KY state troopers car I worked on yesterday had two boxes of just that in the door pocket, so I'd say it must be a pretty good round. I'm fixing to pick up some Gold Dot to try for myself. Still feeling it out as to what I want to carry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Our local LEOs carry this and in .45 too.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links