Defensive Carry banner

Are things getting better?

3K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  OldandInTheWay 
#1 ·
I have been watching gunbot.net and today Cabelas has had some Herters 9mm at a reasonable price with a 5 box limit on there for 4 hours and yesterday they had some 10mm FMJ in Remington that was there for quite a while at a reasonable price. Is this a sign that things are getting better or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

#2 ·
Hopefully it is a sign that the market is improving, that impulsive/reactionary buying is slowing down, and that manufacturers are beginning to replenish the shelves. That is my hope at least, but it wouldn't take much action on the fed's part to stir things up again. Let's hope that doesn't occur!

#3 ·
From what I see, weapons have made a comeback. The local walmart has, (in the last month), gotten in a number of ARs, of various brands. They have actually sat in the case a little while before selling, too.

The ammo, however, well not nearly as much. That same walmart has zero .223, 5.56, 7.62, 5.45, 9mm, or any other pistol ammo that you would like.

I will agree re cabelas ammo. I have gotten lots of ammo there over the years, and they seem to be offering up more now. The herters 223 did much better in my AR than Id have expected. Seems to be GTG.

#4 ·
I've gotten a few emails from Bass Pro Shops lately advertising the Independence 5.56 ammo being in stock. The last email from a few days ago said they had no limit. Had 5 boxes sent to the closest store and will pick up when ready.

I've been able to find a few hundred rounds of 45, 9mm, and 380. Still haven't see any 22lr, but I've been able to see enough lately to start replenishing my stock.

#7 ·
Things are getting a LOT better. I stopped at my LGS this morning on the way to the office (I know, I know) after not stopping there for about 6 weeks. The shelves were well stocked with ammo, lots of new Glocks, and a boat load of ARs to choose from. Two months ago, it was a barren wasteland. People exhausted their discretionary income, combined with suppliers running balls-out, and it looks like October 2012 again. I would imagine things will stay steady state or even continue to improve until Barry H Zero or his court jester JoeBi start the rhetoric up again. In the mean time, I am supporting my local dealers and a couple of on-line sellers (Cabela's being one) who were helpful the last few months and who did not price gouge. A few other vendors will never get a dollar from me ever. The free market works well until the federales get involved.

#10 ·
Things are getting a LOT better.

In the mean time, I am supporting my local dealers and a couple of on-line sellers (Cabela's being one) who were helpful the last few months and who did not price gouge. A few other vendors will never get a dollar from me ever. The free market works well until the federales get involved.
Yes there are some places that have earned my customer loyalty. Others I hope that customers other than myself remember their shenanigans.

#9 ·
Yes, the mountain’s peak seems to have been climbed. As prices are starting to comedown & return back within/too reason, and supplies are starting to show up on retailers shelves again.

Now Stop Hoarding ~ hoarders! And if you can not stop then please for goodness sakes; seek professional help before it’s too late! :blink:

#11 ·
Better in terms of the ammo supply, sure. Better in terms of what congress, the IRS, NSA, President Obama and the like are doing, no. Don't worry, your dollar will soon be worth about .25 cents, then ammo prices won't matter much to most.

#12 ·
Stopped by Bass Pro this afternoon....

Product Supermarket Grocery store Shelf

You are good to go if you shoot the oddball stuff like 7mm Wauzer....

The wooden shelf just across that one to the left used to hold their value packs, 100, 250 and 500 round stuff. It's now full of black range boxes.

The "self healing" gopher target on the end cap was interesting though....

Kinda depressing.

#14 ·
Stopped by Bass Pro this afternoon....
View attachment 75030
You are good to go if you shoot the oddball stuff like 7mm Wauzer.... The wooden shelf just across that one to the left used to hold their value packs, 100, 250 and 500 round stuff. It's now full of black range boxes. The "self healing" gopher target on the end cap was interesting though....
Kinda depressing.
The Bass in my area puts all the hard-too-get on a cart behind the counter so they can ration what you can buy at one time; so as too spread the wealth. Their getting stuff in and their prices are reasonable on 99.999999% of what they do have. Their even starting to get firearms accessorizes in again too.

Prices on ammo, firearms, and accessorizes are starting too return to sensible payment`s. No more P-mags for $78./ech. Or $1,4k AR's for $4.5k. And 223/556 isn't $1.38/a-round as it can be found for 40-cents/a-round too.

So relax kids . . . the light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train anymore :stups:

#15 ·
Getting better? Not around here. It's only getting better where there are high populations of clueless. Don't be fooled by apparent lull in ammo flying off the shelves. Instead, use it as an opportunity to restock.

Unless of course you trust the Government to do right, in that case disregard the above.

#16 ·
The joys of living 5 minutes from a Cabelas and Super Wal-Mart. Picked up a 1400 round Remington Golden 22lr "bucket O bullets" for 59.99. Blazer brass 9mm for 14.99, 30-30 for 16.50, 25/box of 00 Royal buck for 13.99
and Tulammo 223 for 5.50. Granted they were going fast early in the morning.

#17 ·
Today Scheel's had Winchester 115 gr JHP for $20/50. That's a pretty darned good price for HP ammo! I only picked up two boxes since I don't really -need- any real bad, but can always use a little more. I think I'll see how they run thru my Nano.

#18 ·
I think things are getting better so long as some nut-job doesn't crawl out from under his rock and do something stupid. I saw a Facebook post tonight from a local dealer advertising that he has some ammo now. I called to inquire and he's selling 9mm for $26...too pricey for me (for practice ammo) but at least he has it now.

He also said he has 5.56 but wasn't sure of the price (lazy kid on the phone helping me....gotta love-em).

Things still have a way to go in my area but I welcome any improvement.

#19 ·
The supply is better in my area , but the demand is just as high as its been anytime in recent memory . If you are at the store when the ammo comes in , you can get what you want , wait a couple of hours and you're SOL !!! I am still having difficulty finding quality 22 LR at a reasonable price .

#20 ·
I have been checking Dunham's, the area's most reliable source of ammo for the past few months. We have gone from common calibers seldom being in inventory to coming in but quickly selling out. Today, there was still ample .22, 9mm, and .40 caliber in stock, reasonably priced, two days after the weekly truck came in.

#21 ·
I made it to Walmart this morning about 45 mins after the ammo was put out for sale and there was still several boxes of Federal 9mm. I got my 3-box limit (150 rounds) and was on my way.

#25 ·
Still no primers available, at less then double standard retail. I have been able to pick up 22s on occasion for a decent price. Gougers are going to lose a lot of business when this thing settles down.

#27 ·
Today Scheel's had Winchester 124gr FMJ for $15.99/50. Not great but not terrible. I picked up three boxes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.