Who is NOT price gouging?

This is a discussion on Who is NOT price gouging? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can you folks offer up any online ammo dealers who are charging fair prices for their ammo? I bought some 9mm JHP from ammunitiondepot.com, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Who is NOT price gouging?

Can you folks offer up any online ammo dealers who are charging fair prices for their ammo? I bought some 9mm JHP from ammunitiondepot.com, and it was the best price I could find. I have seen some outrageous prices for 9mm ammo!!
    Last edited by Spirit4earth; June 20th, 2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    OnePlink likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Cabelas, sportsmansguide, sportsmanswarehouse are probably the best priced ones I have seen. I think Gander Mt and Bass pro have been decent as well but I have only seen ship to store which is not an option for me for those 2. Palmetto state armory has had some good prices on most stuff as well.

I don't know what your price point is. Only you can determine that. You could try gunbot.

GunBot find 9mm ammo in stock Click on your caliber and get the going rate. It changes all day long so what may not look good now may come up with a better price in the afternoon.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Cabellas has some nice 9mm fmj for 14.99 right ow

In my experience Cabelas and I hate to say it Walmart have not been price gouging.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

What's a fair price? Seems most stores are selling below market price (which is why the shelves are empty).
    thebucketeer likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    I don't know what your price point is. Only you can determine that. You could try gunbot.

GunBot find 9mm ammo in stock Click on your caliber and get the going rate. It changes all day long so what may not look good now may come up with a better price in the afternoon.
    I took the last couple of months off of looking for ammo online... it was nice to come back and see retailers with ammo actually in stock and prices coming down.

So what is 'gouging'?

Just to provide a bit of perspective:

A retailer MUST charge a calculated price for the items sold. This applies to cars, clothes, appliances, firearms, screwdrivers, ammunition and even services.

The calculated price of sale includes:

1. The cost of obtaining the item sold (which probably includes shipping), and

2. The cost of 'doing business'. This cost covers paying for the store, paying employees (if any), paying for Obamacare, paying taxes on the various taxable items involved (like profits and inventory), paying for the lights, heat, air conditioning, cleaning up, bathrooms, and display items. ALSO included is the payment for the owner's time, to make it worth his or her while to do all this instead of investing in a money market account. (Putting up with customers who accuse him of being a 'gouger' all the time is part of this last bit.)

Here's a reality: There is no magic and arbitrary 'real price' for anything. Everything is subject to the underlying costs of materials, labor, supply and demand. Even if the result is more than one wants to pay.

Panic buying on the part of the shooting public doesn't help lower the costs, by the way. Nor does blaming someone else.

There are some things consumers can do to lower prices; mostly in the long run, not immediately.

Don't buy everything in sight even if not needed. That just adds to the shortages. Most shooting is done as 'practice' or informal target shooting. Normally, FMJ or RNL bullets and standard velocity ammo will more than take care of the requirements. Nor does everyone need a stockpile of 60,000 rounds of ammo for every firearm owned.

Be an aware voter. Look into the candidates and see who supports 'regulation' for the sake of regulation. Regulations to 'save the environment typically end up hurting the human race, and most assuredly working people. See who 'supports' labor unions. Typically the net result is more campaign contributions from those unions and more kickbacks for union leaders. (If you're a union worker, take a serious look at who and what causes the union supports for elections. If they are all Leftists, your union is part of the overall problem.)
    Also look at various 'issues' and voter initiatives. If the net result is to give the government - any government - more power over one's life, it's a counterproductive choice.

Reload. It's a fun hobby, teaches one much about how firearms work and tends to cost less in the long run. Plus, reloading one's own ammunition will improve marksmanship skills. (When one realizes how much work is put into assembling proper ammunition, one is less likely to shoot it wildly into the blue.)
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

+1 for cabelas. Cheaper than walmart, and no tax for me. I live in TN, and with the local option added sales tax, sales tax here is right at 10%, so that can add up.

"Fair" is when you want the ammo more than the money you'll have to part with to get it. The widespread notion that there is some objective "right" price to charge for something is straight out of the liberal playbook and makes me mourn our modern educational system.

In this era of shortages, there are still deals to be had. Someone already linked to gunbot, which is what I've been using. Bottom line -- You can get it cheaper if you are willing to do the legwork. If you don't have the time or patience to do that during a period of constrained supply, you will pay a premium for the privilege.

+2 for cabella's.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Cabela’s on most of their ammo, Bass and LGShow on some, & WW on all.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I had been buying on line using some of the links mentioned here for about five months. I've paid a higher price on average than I cared to because I had very little ammo. I did not try my LGS's because the thinking was everyone was out of it and I was not about to run around the area wasting gas. Long story short, a few weeks ago I went to my LGS in the hopes they had a Heritage Rough Rider I wanted for plinking. They did and I bought it, then asked if they had any ammo for it. They said sure, how much do you want ? Then I asked if they had any 9mm ammo, again the same reply. I was a bit confused, and asked how long they had these supplies and they told me pretty much always. Their price by the way was cheaper than some of the better values on line.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I am in the Houston area and went into a gun range Sunday and was surprised to see that they had all of the calibers on the shelf. I asked what the price was for the 500 pack of .22lr was and the guy said $100.00. I turned around and walked out.

I agree that "gouging" is relative, and to me right now, anything double what the price was before the fiasco is gouging. I won't spend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Something is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it ........Gunbot is great right now, some online retailers are in line and some are ammo crooks ! I will remember the bad ones. I do have some LGS that are decent, Walmart prices are great if you can get there before the Arms Dealers :( AKA Ammo Gangs- But I am seeing a huge decrease on the local bulletin boards of Ammo gouging :)

Bass Pro here does not have squat, and people are lining up at 9:00am and running in the doors stampeding people . ( Sad ) Im lucky I had a pretty good stock before this went down hill . I also have found some pretty good prices in Bulk from Freedom Munitions on line . Range stuff .

Good luck to all- This will get back closer in line....Later than expected

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links