38 Spl .load

This is a discussion on 38 Spl .load within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the LGS today ,looking at a nice older Rossi 38 Spl. ..when a older gentleman ,struck up a conservation with me..about the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: 38 Spl .load

38 Spl .load

I was at the LGS today ,looking at a nice older Rossi 38 Spl. ..when a older gentleman ,struck up a conservation with me..about the the cartridge 38 Spl.
    He told me he was a retired Police officer from Boise Idaho then worked 18 yrs as a Security Courier Service after retirement...the gentleman had to be in his lower to mid 80's....his mind was sharp and he was spitting out velocities ..type of bullets ..weight of bullets ..all in reference to the lowly 38Spl......

I asked what he carried ..he quickly told me a Model 10 ..4 inch barrel....I asked what load he carried..158gr lead RN was his answer...I was surprised ..with his knowledge of the 38 Spl. ,he has had to do his home work ..I told him I always heard the 158gr LRN was not a really good man stopper...

He laughed and shrugged his shoulders..walked away ..I thought I may have hurt his feelings or pissed him off...in a few minutes he walked up to me ..and begin to explain why he carried and still carry's the 158gr LRN , by now he has a small audience ..most of'em young fellows with Hi- Cap bottom feeders strapped on there sides..

He explained the low recoil ..quick follow -up shots ..and the way those 158gr. LRN bullets are point of aim out of his Model 10...and then he explained terminal performance, this is where I really was surprised.., he said the bullets hit where you aim, (note ,he used the word bullets not bullet) and they penetrate deep and when they hit a bone they go "Helter Skelter " .they tumble ...making a fellars insides like mush.. (i didn't ask how he knew this)

I learned something today ....
    He reminded me of my deceased Dad ..he toted a S&W 36 with a 3 inch barrel stoked with Wad-cutters ..and sometime HBWC loaded backwards

Old School SD
    tony1990, WHEC724, BamaT and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Beware the old man with a six shooter.
    Taurahe, Archie, TX expat and 2 others like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Try buffalo bore 158 low flash low smoke .38 sp short barrel nice ammo
    GhostMaker likes this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Great story! Since I was a boy I always liked to hear stories from old timers about the old days & the old ways.

Many a lesson can be learned & all we have to do is listen.
    336A and BamaT like this.

Sounds to me like the old fellow has been there and done it through the years.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I'd say he may have punched a ticket or two....
    GhostMaker likes this.

Nix
    My favorite carry load in my .357 LCR is DoubleTap's .38 Special +P 158 grain SWC. That or Buffalo Bore's 158 grain .38 Special + P "outdoorsman". No need to reinvent the wheelgun.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I finally arrived at a LSWC load that's accurate in all the .38s from 2 to 6 inch barrels... 158 gr at 900 ft/sec from a 4 in barrel. Methinks that'll do just fine on human-sized and smaller aggressors.
    GhostMaker, WHEC724, Nix and 2 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I finally arrived at a LSWC load that's accurate in all the .38s fro 2 to 6 inch barrels... 158 gr at 900 ft/sec from a 4 in barrel.
    I think that was nicknamed the "FBI load". My favorite .38 Special. Could the feds have known what they were doing? Weird....

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I think that was nicknamed the "FBI load". My favorite .38 Special. Could the feds have known what they were doing? Weird....
    Well, mine isn't a hollowpoint. The same hot day I chrono'd my handload, the Federal 158 gr LSWCHP +P was a little hotter at 950 ft/sec, but I'd call it close enough!
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Nix
    I might be wrong, but I thought the "FBI load" or "Chicago Load" was a 158 grain SWC. Not a HP. Kinda fun to have you develop the same (+/-) load.

Cool

The FBI, Chicago or Miami load called that because of the large agencies that used it for their .38 special revolvers was and is a 158 gr. LSWC +P HP.

It's a load that generally shoots to point of aim out of a 4" barrel .38 special by most accounts.

It's a good load however there are and abundance of quality SD loads for the .38 special on the market today.

I like heavy for caliber bullets and I still use it in my S&W j-frames.

Image.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    wmhawth likes this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Sounds to me like the old gentleman favors shot placement over wonder bullets.
    Exsimguy1, Archie and Taurahe like this.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaRon View Post

The FBI, Chicago or Miami load called that because of the large agencies that used it for their .38 special revolvers was and is a 158 gr. LSWC +P HP.
    Thanks!

Looks like I stand corrected. However, I'll stick with my "Smitty load" of a LSWC 158 grain +P.

I used to carry a 4" S&W model 10 for duty, heavy barrel.
    Nice gun.
    BamaT, GhostMaker and bmcgilvray like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links