Keeping your SD ammo "fresh" and carry guns "secure"

This is a discussion on Keeping your SD ammo "fresh" and carry guns "secure" within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was thinking about the best way to do this. I keep all my carry guns fully loaded with 1 round chambered and spare mags in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Keeping your SD ammo "fresh" and carry guns "secure"

Keeping your SD ammo "fresh" and carry guns "secure"

Was thinking about the best way to do this. I keep all my carry guns fully loaded with 1 round chambered and spare mags in their cases every day. My safe is humidity controlled and locked 100% of the time unless I'm accessing it. I don't empty out the chamber or put locks on any of my guns - when I dress up to leave the house, I simply holster up, unsafe them, grab and go. When on the go, my guns are subject to regular humidity, in car storage (when going to GFZ's), rain and the like.

I try to use my SD ammo that's been sitting in my guns every 2-3 months to keep them fresh. But with the price of SD ammo and the general inability to get the exact brands I want when I need it, I tend to stretch this out to 4-5 months.

I run all my carry guns at least once a month to make sure they work, as well. Usually just with range ammo.

My question is what do you do to make sure your carry ammo stays fresh and how do you stow your carry pieces away every day so that they are secure, even when loaded (assuming you keep them loaded 24/7)?

2. Remove Ads

Ammo has a very long shelf life if you keep it dry. I do not feel the need to cycle it often, if at all, for the same reasons that you don't want to. It is just too expensive and is becoming hard to find. I keep ALL of my firearms loaded with a round in the chamber except for the rifles, in my gun safe. I do a quick press check before I put on my carry gun for the day and then go about with what I am doing.
    DetChris likes this.

Distinguished Member
    i wouldn't worry about it too much, local police and sheriffs department i know all keep their ammo for six months.

i unload my gun every time i get home, i chamber a round two to three times usually, never more then four or five.
    i carry one spare mag, total 25 rds so the rounds are never more then 2 to 3 months old.
    the decommissioned ones gets fired off at the range, never had a problem.
    also every time i buy a new batch of carry rounds i call speer with the batch number to ask when they were made if any problems had been reported on that batch number, they are always happy to check for me.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    I have carry ammo approaching three years old. I think that some worry about "stale" ammo too much. Several years ago I found some old .22 ammo from the 1980's. Remington's, probably 25 years old. They had been stored in closets all that time, no special precautions. They all shot fine, and that was rimfire.

I am aware of setback and primer degradation from reloading the same round in a semi auto over and over, so that is the only thing I will track. But time itself no longer concerns me. Especially with revolvers.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you feel the need to spend a fortune keeping your SD ammo "fresh," go for it. Mine will last until I decide to use it. Unless you're storing it in your aquarium, it will be good to go.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

While in the Navy (I retired in Dec. 2000), we were using Very signal flares which dated to the 1940s so old the date was sometimes hard to read. Granted while in port they were stored in the armory. But the entire time we were at sea, including 6 month deployments, they were just inside the Signal Shack easily exposed to sea air, salt spray and the like. I don't remember a single failure to fire.

I keep my ammo in a humidity controlled safe and make sure it is shot within 6 months.

My rule of thumb is that any ammo over about 35 years old gets set aside for range use or plinking. My SHTF stash does still include some Korean and Vietnam-era stuff though.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Awesome guys. I will stop worrying about my SD ammo then. Them things are pricy as all get out. I'm glad I can stop babying them.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Was thinking about the best way to do this. I keep all my carry guns fully loaded with 1 round chambered and spare mags in their cases every day. My safe is humidity controlled and locked 100% of the time unless I'm accessing it. I don't empty out the chamber or put locks on any of my guns - when I dress up to leave the house, I simply holster up, unsafe them, grab and go. When on the go, my guns are subject to regular humidity, in car storage (when going to GFZ's), rain and the like.

I try to use my SD ammo that's been sitting in my guns every 2-3 months to keep them fresh. But with the price of SD ammo and the general inability to get the exact brands I want when I need it, I tend to stretch this out to 4-5 months.

I run all my carry guns at least once a month to make sure they work, as well. Usually just with range ammo.

My question is what do you do to make sure your carry ammo stays fresh and how do you stow your carry pieces away every day so that they are secure, even when loaded (assuming you keep them loaded 24/7)?
    Because I am a novice at this I get confused as to how to inspect the ammo I keep chambered. I have been recycling the chambered ammo back into the box but kept separately. I gues what I need to know is how long can you keep the bullet that is chambered, before you need to recyle it to the range jar ammo?

My carry guns are in condition one 24/7. They are on me, on my nightstand, or in my safe. Every time I go to the range, the guns I am carrying get shot first as carried including the spare magazines. I like to be reassured that if I draw and pull the trigger, they will go bang as carried. After initial break in and reliability checks, I only shoot carry ammo in my carry guns. I have other guns to use as range practice guns.

Ammo that is stored in a dry location without temperature extremes should last for many years. In Viet Nam in the 1960s, we were shooting ammo with 1940s dates and eating C-rations with 1940s dates. I have shot surplus military ammo that was over sixty years old with no issues.
    DetChris likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Once I am satisfied that my chosen defensive ammo reliably feeds in my semi autos, I see no need in burning through more of it. I do not notice enough difference in recoil to make it worth burning through expensive and hard to find defensive ammo, instead of standard FMJ for practice.

In .380, I carry FMJ FPs, so my carry ammo is the same as my practice ammo. Same in .38...SWCs for both.

Ammo lasts a long time. No need to load/unload, etc. Mine stay fully loaded, on me or in the safe. Only get unloaded for cleaning, or to use at the range.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I've used ammo at the range that was 10 years old with no issues

As a MP in the late 60's early 70's we used ammo from 55 gallon drums dated 1944 had to rub the green off them but functioned great so I wouldn't worry to much.
    StormRhydr likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    In Viet Nam in the 1960s, we were shooting ammo with 1940s dates and eating C-rations with 1940s dates. I have shot surplus military ammo that was over sixty years old with no issues.
    No doubt, the ammo held up much better!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links