Decision Made: Speer Gold Dot 40Cal. 180gr. JHP

This is a discussion on Decision Made: Speer Gold Dot 40Cal. 180gr. JHP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thank-you to members on this site that gave their thoughts on another thread towards finding a good round for defense. A friend on police swat ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Decision Made: Speer Gold Dot 40Cal. 180gr. JHP

Decision Made: Speer Gold Dot 40Cal. 180gr. JHP

Thank-you to members on this site that gave their thoughts on another thread towards finding a good round for defense. A friend on police swat in Washington state recommended the
    Speer Gold Dot 40 Cal. 180gr. JHP. Washington St. uses this round that's fired out of their issued Glock 22. Claims they have many shootings per year and that this ammo round works very well.
    Any thoughts on this round being used for defense?

2. Remove Ads

I have heard nothing but good things about Gold Dot. I use the 124gr +P for my 9mm. I've also heard HST, Ranger T, and Golden Saber are good rounds. But some of those are harder to find.

There are many good options for self-defense. Carry the biggest caliber and gun you can effectively shoot, conceal, and will carry everyday and everywhere. If you decide to carry a small pocket gun in .40 S&W; it will not have the same velocity and energy of a longer barrel pistol like a Glock G22 and will have more felt recoil.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Very good choice, especially the 180 gr load!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Thumbs up

I like heavy for caliber loads and that one is carried in my Glock 23.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

I like the 165's but I don't think it makes much difference.

If they run thru your gun well then I see no problem. Gold Dots are excellent bullets.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Ammunition Depot has the 165Gr for 38.97 for 50 round box seems fair ($.78 per round) for defensive purposes. I have neve dealt with them, so I could not tell you what their turn around is. They do claim if it's listed on their website they do have it stock !

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    We all know Federal HST 180gr. .40 will drop a T-Rex with a near miss, so lets focus on what makes the rest of handgun ammo effective; penetration.

Speer, Winchester, Federal all have great mass retention. You're looking for reliable expansion and the lead staying with the bullet. They have minute differences, but it is my unscientific opinion that bullet wounds are nasty, and a surgeon probably couldn't tell the difference between brands from the wound channel. They are all reliable. They should all cycle quality pistols. You have a large mass bullet, you have maximized the effectiveness of your caliber.
    Fisher10 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i get mine from 40 cal | SGAmmo.com 32.95 per box of 50, out of stock right this moment but they restock often.

i use 165 gr gold dot. recoil feels sharper then the 180 federal AE i practice with.

the .40 SW was originally designed in 180 gr and after reading dozens of articles arguing over the "best" bullet weight i ended up settling on the 165 because it was the middle weight. gold dot is offered in 155 165 180.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I like the heavy for caliber loads myself . I have carried the Gold Dots for a while . Practice with the load you are carrying . I know that's not economical but it is a necessity .
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Worms gotta eat, same as buzzards................

I run the same setup as FlaRon . A G-23 with 180's . Never make the mistake of carrying a particular load just because "we" say it works fine in our guns . ALWAYS send some downrange to be sure they feed reliably in your particular set-up .
    Worms gotta eat, same as buzzards................

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp07GT View Post
    I like the heavy for caliber loads myself . I have carried the Gold Dots for a while . Practice with the load you are carrying . I know that's not economical but it is a necessity .
    True indeed. A couple extra bucks today could save your life tomorrow..
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

After much reading and research I think a +P in 155 to 165 grain GD is my top choice for the .40 S&W. I would say for sure the 180 GD is fine if that is what the LEO told you.

Gold Dot. Heavy for caliber. What's not to like?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links