I actually bought Hornady Personal Duty in 9mm today!

This is a discussion on I actually bought Hornady Personal Duty in 9mm today! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is the first time I've ever seen it in real life. And, it was at Academy Sports & Outdoors, not a gun shop. I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rjinga

Thread: I actually bought Hornady Personal Duty in 9mm today!

I actually bought Hornady Personal Duty in 9mm today!

This is the first time I've ever seen it in real life. And, it was at Academy Sports & Outdoors, not a gun shop. I think they had 4-6 boxes (same amount of Personal Defense) at Customer Service, and I could only buy one 25 round box. I was there around 11:20 a.m., and the clerk said it had come in that morning.
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm
    "Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?"

2. Remove Ads

GH
    Just last week my buddy gave me a call & asked if I wanted a box of .40 cal. I was hoping for practice ammo as that's what I had the most need of. It turned out to be Hornady Critical Duty. He could only buy 2 20-round boxes because that's all they had left. H, like me doesn't have a real need for any more SD ammo but I told him to go ahead. I never used the stuff before but I'll probably shoot half that box the next time I go to the range just to make sure it goes through my M&P 40 ok. The ammo was $19.95 for 20 rounds. Now I have almost as much SD ammo as I have of practice ammo. I guess I'll have to use that stuff for range fire. I'm trying to hoard ammo because I have a M&P 40C on order & when it comes in I'd like to put at least 250 -500 rounds through it. I suppose shooting the stuff that costs $1 a round will be worth it for testing purposes.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I use it in my XD 9 service model as my SD rounds. I love the +P. No mishaps. I like the heavier bullet with the added velocity of +P. I think wou will like it if you start to use it. Designed more for the longer barrel guns (>4"). I have seen it in my local Academy as well. Swith from the HST 124g.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    I'm still confused over when I'm supposed to use Personal Defense vs. Critical Duty? Do you swap rounds out, depending on the scenario?

Oh, and gimme my avatar back! There can be only one!

My understanding (and I am not an expert), the personal defense is designed for CC mainly from a shorter barrel gun. It is designed for acieving a high enough velocity for max penetration and expansion using a light weight bullet out of a short barrel gun. The critical duty is designed more for full size guns that need the extra barrel length to reach it's potential velocity. The Duty line is for LE that need to shoot through barriers and still have expansion, thus the heavier round.
    Critical Defense has a softer recoil than the duty. I am sure there are others here that can expand and/or correct any inconsistencies I have with my explanation.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm still confused over when I'm supposed to use Personal Defense vs. Critical Duty? Do you swap rounds out, depending on the scenario?

Oh, and gimme my avatar back! There can be only one!
    I think I'm just going to carry the Critical Duty as my everyday SD round. [Aside - my 16 yo son sort of asked me the same question. I was telling him about the ammo and he asked me "So, you're going to be shooting through car doors and glass and stuff?" My response was "A worst-case scenario is called a worst-case scenario for a reason."]

Yeah, I noticed that you were using my avatar. I've loved that image ever since I saw it back in the mid-80s, long before I got my first gun.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm
    "Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjinga View Post
    I think I'm just going to carry the Critical Duty as my everyday SD round. [Aside - my 16 yo son sort of asked me the same question. I was telling him about the ammo and he asked me "So, you're going to be shooting through car doors and glass and stuff?" My response was "A worst-case scenario is called a worst-case scenario for a reason."]

Yeah, I noticed that you were using my avatar. I've loved that image ever since I saw it back in the mid-80s, long before I got my first gun.
    I used to use it as my instant-message avatar at my last job when I realized that the board of directors were working to get me out. They didn't see the humor of it at all.

I have Critical Defense loaded in my two guns and reload them with ordinary stuff for the range. I did run a few CD magazines through them to see how they worked however.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

I need to make a trip to Freedom Munitions. They have a store here in NW Houston and I understand they have a good supply of 9mm & .40S&W. They come highly recommended by the people who ran the basic & CHL class I took ( Military background). They are about 45 minutes from where I live.

I use critical defense.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

Links