5.56mm vs .223 Remington: Myths and Facts

This is a discussion on 5.56mm vs .223 Remington: Myths and Facts within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; BalisticsTools.com My Comments: I know this has been covered before, but, people, be very careful on what your weapon is chambered to! Though this article/example ...

Thread: 5.56mm vs .223 Remington: Myths and Facts

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.

5.56mm vs .223 Remington: Myths and Facts

BalisticsTools.com

My Comments: I know this has been covered before, but, people, be very careful on what your weapon is chambered to! Though this article/example is focused on rifles, you really need to pay attention to your revolvers and pistols in the same regard. I have over powered a revolver (with no injuries) and a highly refined rifle (again, with no serious injuries to me). It happens. Without sounding like the old School Marm, Safety First!

Ballistic Tools - Articles

2. Remove Ads

It's always good to remind people about the myths/facts of 5.56/.223. There are a lot of people that really haven't a clue. I was talking to a gentlemen a couple weeks ago at the range I work at that was confused on this issue. He had been told (or perhaps misunderstood what he had actually been told) that you can't shoot 5.56 rounds out of an AR-15 with a 20" barrel. I informed him that it's actually the chambering, not the barrel length, that makes the difference.

Some people just don't know.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Interesting article. Ultimately, it reaches the same conclusion... it's safe to shoot .223 in a 5.56 NATO chamber, but not the opposite. He just has a more accurate representation of why.

And this one doesn't make me scratch my head and think "but that didn't even make sense..."
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Chamber pressure, chamber pressure ,chamber pressure
    Worms gotta eat, same as buzzards................

Links