357 mag pistol ammo

357 mag pistol ammo

This is a discussion on 357 mag pistol ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need a recommendation. I have a j frame and comparing 158jhp vs 180jhp hydroshok. Any suggestions re these or others?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 357 mag pistol ammo

357 mag pistol ammo

Need a recommendation. I have a j frame and comparing 158jhp vs 180jhp hydroshok. Any suggestions re these or others?

Buffalo Bore has a lower recoil low flash .357 load that I find very accurate and controllable in my 640. If you have an Airweight j-frame you may want to consider a load like that. Hornady Critical Defense also has a load that seems to be a bit lighter in recoil than some of the other loads out there.

I use 158 GR Double Tap Bonded JHP.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I'd stay away from the 180 grainers. They are hunting rounds, not defensive rounds. Any of the other offerings would do well, depending on personal preference.
    Last edited by SmokinFool; June 29th, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
    gasmitty likes this.

125 gr sjhp
    R040607 and Eagleks like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

The 'definitive' .357 mag defensive round is the 125 gr, semi-jacketed HP - proven fight-stopper since the 60s.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Wrong! 158gr is THE statistical king Manstopper! 357mag out of jframes, ammo doesn't matter. You won't attain mag velocities and shock power that 357 was designed for.

Does this count as a Sub-Caliber War?
    Brad426 and Eagleks like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Does this count as a Sub-Caliber War?
    More of a "SNUB"-Caliber War, no?

(OP--I'd go with the 158's, m'self).
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I use Double Tap 110gr BarnesTAC-XP in my S&W 360. The all copper construction aides in deep penetration. And the weight means it gets to 1470fps, which IS magnum velocities.

...controllability is not too bad. But the round is stout.

Giving ammo availability, try to experiment. Try to see what shoots best out of your revolver. see what you feel most comfortable with. I would avoid the 180 grain bullet. Remember, heavier bullets, especially out of lighter framed revolvers, will produce the heaviest recoil. I carry a S&W 649 steel J frame. I've never had access to a chronograph, or gelatin, but just punching holes in paper, my revolver shoots the 110 grain Winchester White Box very well. CorBon has a 110 grain JHP that is much hotter; I'm sure there are others. The 125 grain SJHP has been a field proven stopper for decades but recoil and muzzle blast will be a factor. Remington Golden Sabre 125 grain JHP is a lighter loading magnum but still has stronger performance than a .38 special +P. I've been carrying the Speer 135 grain JHP designed for "short barrels", intended to reduce muzzle flash and increase performance of the JHP bullet. Again, without access to testing equipment, this round seems to shoot well from my revolver, and recoil is manageable. Anyway, this is a quick sample of what has worked for me. Try to shoot as much as you can, to experiment and then to become proficient with what works best for you.

In terms of self-defense : most things I've seen in terms of effectiveness, research, and tests coming out of short barrel J-frames in .357... the 125 gr won out. Even in real life it has.

And HST, Hyrdo-Shok and Critical Defense .... all work well. I typically have HST or hyrdroshok .357 - 125 gr in mine.
    SmokinFool likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Whatever is available and has a hole in front. Tell us what you think of those 180s out of your snubbie.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

I've often wondered about this. I would tend to think that a lighter bullet might lose more energy than a heavier bullet when fired through a shorter barrel, as the lighter bullet depends more on velocity for its muzzle energy. So, say a 125 grain and a 180 grain round have the same muzzle energy from a 6-inch barrel, I'd think the 180 grain would have more muzzle energy than the 125 from a 2-inch barrel. Anybody know if this is true?
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Any .357 mag load is a good defensive load!

Do you need penetration? Use the 180 gr load

Do you fear over penetration? Use the 125 gr load

Do you need a good general purpose load? Use the 158 gr load

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links