308's, should I make my own?

This is a discussion on 308's, should I make my own? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Did an ammo count and everything is all good except the 308's. My fav gun is my Win 308 and I do have a ...

Thread: 308's, should I make my own?

Distinguished Member

Hi,

Did an ammo count and everything is all good except the 308's. My fav gun is my Win 308 and I do have a bit of ammo for it but it's hollow point and I'm looking for some practice rounds. The man at the LGS told me to get a bullet making set-up will cost me around $800 for everything to get started. Does this sound about right with the cost? What would be considered my best options for getting ammo for this gun?

On a side note, the 22lr's are coming in on a daily basis here in coastal SC ~ and that's a good thing.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Hi,

Did an ammo count and everything is all good except the 308's. My fav gun is my Win 308 and I do have a bit of ammo for it but it's hollow point and I'm looking for some practice rounds. The man at the LGS told me to get a bullet making set-up will cost me around $800 for everything to get started. Does this sound about right with the cost? What would be considered my best options for getting ammo for this gun?

On a side note, the 22lr's are coming in on a daily basis here in coastal SC ~ and that's a good thing.
    For a progressive setup that's about right, but if you're primary interest is in loading for a rifle, a single stage press setup (press, dies, scales, calipers, case trimmer, ect) should be available for about half that. I'd recommend an RCBS Single Stage setup as a first venture into reloading anyway. If you see yourself loading for pistols in the near future, a Dillon Progressive press is the way to go.

Stay safe,

Keyth
    Maine CCP
    New Hampshire CCL
    Massachusetts CCL
    Wisconsin CCL

Well, lucky you with the rimfire supply. Out here in AZ it's as scarce as a mud puddle in the desert.

For a decent press and the accoutrements to get started in reloading, $800 is a good working number. You can spend a little less, and you can spend a LOT more. A lot depends on your shooting volume, as that will drive your selection of press. I shoot a lot of .45 (over 5000 a year) so I went with a progressive press. I'm gearing up to reload .223 soon (once bullets are available), which will also be a high-volume deal for me. But if your shooting volume is modest - say no more than a thousand or two a year - a single-stage press will save you money up front and be perfectly adequate.

Also, what you shoot and what you want your ammo to do will drive the direction you go in for reloading components. If your .308 is a semi-auto, then first you need full-length sizing dies, but you probably don't need to fuss too much with brass. Once-fired is usually available for under a quarter a case (shop GunBroker, etc. for deals) and you can probably get 8-10 reloads per case if your loads aren't too hot. For bullets, shop for bargains (none lately!) on basic soft-point or FMJ for practice. The fun part is that you can experiment with powders and close in on a load that's easy on the gun (and shoulder), accurate and economical, with little more than a few scope clicks difference from commercial stuff going for a buck a round.

For reference, last year I put together a bunch of .30-06 reloads for my Garand for about 35 cents a round, using brass I had on hand and some bargain bullets. Once component supplies become more available, I'm sure you can load for not much more than that. Brass and bullets are the most expensive parts; powder is relatively cheap and primers even cheaper.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I am currently getting into reloading, at least I have been trying to, but availability of components has made it impossible. Got my press for Christmas, haven't loaded a round yet...

That being said, I would recommend it. Especially if the current wave is any indication. It is like the great depression of ammo. Best to be more prepared, next time.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I've been seeing MagTech/CBC 7.62x51 in the stores and online lately at pretty reasonable prices. My LGS has it at $35/50, and I've seen some online for about the same price.

I've got the equipment to reload, but don't currently have a good place set up to work, so I'm shooting the factory stuff & saving the brass for later!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member
    Thank y'all so much for the info ~ it's not a semi, just a plain old fashioned wooden stock 308. I was told that it was because the semi's use the 308 is the reason the ammo is hard to find. I like big guns, big noises and big bullets and think this is the reason it is my favorite gun. The .22 is the semi but it isn't loud enough for me to get much excited about shooting it. I'm at about 4,500 rounds with the .22lr and still counting but not sure if that is considered "a lot" or not?!
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Sponsored Links