Is 1968 Match Ammo .45 worth anything?

This is a discussion on Is 1968 Match Ammo .45 worth anything? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Several months ago my wife and I mentioned to a couple who are very good friends of ours that I wanted reloading equipment for Christmas. ...

Thread: Is 1968 Match Ammo .45 worth anything?

VIP Member

Several months ago my wife and I mentioned to a couple who are very good friends of ours that I wanted reloading equipment for Christmas. When the wife, Bonnie, (not mine the other one) was teaching her Sunday School class on the next Sunday she somehow mentioned about the reloading equipment. Most of the people in that church know us because we have been there to sing. Anyway after the class a lady came up to Bonnie and told her that she had a sister in Huntsville, AL whose husband had died in April. She explained that he was a shooter and had bunches of reloading equipment. The sister had been unable to get rid of the equipment since his death and that if I was interested she was sure the sister would be glad to get rid of it.

Bonnie called us and we called the lady in her Sunday School class. She told us that her brother-in-law had been a National Guard pistol champion and that his garage was full of reloading equipment and supplies. She had talked to her sister that afternoon and got more info. She asked if I was interested in the brass, lead, and other stuff and I told her yes. She said that she would be going to see her sister and that they would work up an inventory of everything that there was.

In late October my friend James, Bonnie's husband, called and told me that the lady in Bonnie's class had dropped off a bunch of target and some ammo for me. We decided that he would take it to his father's house on his next visit and I would pick it up on the way back from the gun show in Montgomery on Nov. 4. Well I stopped by his dad's and there was a stack of pistol bullseye targets and other competition targets about 6" tall. I picked them up and then decided to put the box of ammo on top. That did not work. The box of ammo weighed about 40 lbs. So I made two trips to the car.

When I got home I looked at the targets which were mostly yellowed and crumbling around the edge and then I decided sort out the ammo. There were 6 empty .40 S&W boxes and 50 pieces of .357 SIG brass in the box which added to the fullness, but very little weight. In the box there was .38 AMU, .38 Special Super Match semi-rimmed, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and 9 mm pistol ammo in the box. There was also .38 Special revolver ammo. Today I decided to sort the stuff. This is when I discovered the .38 AMU and .38 Special Super Match. I had to look up what they were. Here is the article I found. .38 AMU

Besides the two boxes of strange .38 ammo, I found a box of .45 ACP that said "1968 Match" on it. When I looked inside it there were 30 rounds that have "WCC 68 MATCH" on them and 10 rounds that have "WCC 72 MATCH".

Two photos of the three boxes of ammo in question.

.38 AMU some round were fired and brass put back in box.

.38 Special Super Match

.45 Match, you can see "WCC 68 MATCH" on the 30 rounds starting from the left and "WCC 72 MATCH" on the next 10 rounds.

This is the other ammo that was in the box. Boxes in the top half of the picture are reloaded. Boxes in the bottom are new ammo. Not all boxes are full. In the reloaded .45 there is lots of brass with WCC and a number or TZZ and a number. There is at least one that has TZZ MATCH 98 and one with RA 99 MATCH.

What I really want to know is if any of the ammo (.38 AMU, .38 Special Super Match, or .45 1968 match or 72 match) is of value to someone for something other than to shoot. If it is I would like to put the ammo and the people who want it together at a reasonable cost. If you know anything about this ammo please let me know.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

the 45 acp match ammo was the best in it day. even in the 80's we were looking for it to shoot bulleyes matches. just three weeks ago i shot up my last five boxes of 1968 match in my glock 36. it was some of the best shooting ammo that i have found and shot. even better than my 45 acp reloads. shoot it and you will see how good it is. as for what is it worth, i don't know. to me the worth is to shoot it. it looks by the different type of ammo it looks like the guy was a bulleyes shooter.
    Last edited by frankmako; November 22nd, 2006 at 10:24 PM.

VIP Member
    I'll probably will shoot it. I still do not have the inventory of what is available, so am not going to get rid of any of the unusual ammo until I know what's there. I expect the inventory to include guns, safes, and reloading equipment. If there are guns for each kind of ammo there will be a .38 Super and possibly a .38 AMU or a match 1911 with .38 AMU slide, barrel and accessories.
    That would be awesome. I'll post whenever I find out what is available.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    That is a great collection

$10 a box if its clean.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Great find there dr....
    good luck on finding out about the firearms.....
    I'd be hesitant about selling the ammo, due to liability issues....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

absolutely usless and dangerous ammo!
    send to me for propper disposal
    ...oh come on...you knew you'd get an answer like that

nice looking collection though for sure

Sponsored Links