Surplus Ammo

Surplus Ammo

This is a discussion on Surplus Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought 100 rounds of .380 surplus ball ammo a few weeks ago from Surplus Ammo Home given the current ammo shortage.Its been impossible to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Surplus Ammo

VIP Member

Surplus Ammo

I bought 100 rounds of .380 surplus ball ammo a few weeks ago from Surplus Ammo Home given the current ammo shortage.Its been impossible to find some ammo locally; this ammo was remanufactured. Ive never been down this road before - but I was desperate for range loads. Ive never experienced such a FTF rate in my life. Am I alone??

Sounds like you got taken. Reload ammo is sold by good companies and is outstanding in most cases but there are a few crooks out there sound like one got you.

Stick with factory loads, or at least reloads from a more reputable seller. It's worth the current wait and inconvenience, as you found out.

What you may have gotten was factory rejects bad stuff they cleaned it up and resold it. That happens some times. recover the brass and find someone local that can reload for you.

That really sucks! Here in SD there's a ton of .380 ammo. Really, most ammo is pretty good except, of course, .22lr. The local Scheel's store even has a big stack of 250 round bulk packs of Blazer Brass in .380.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

FTF failure to feed,or failure to fire? If it's failure to fire it could be the result they may be using Primers like Tula that I have noticed seem to be harder than the Wolf Primers they replaced which in some lots I had about a 5% first hit failure rate,but they fired on a second hit,some guns are more prone and it depends on how much force the primer is struck with.If it's Fail to Feed then their reloading dies probably aren't adjusted right,the Lee Factory crimp die can eliminate the problem since it sizes the case to specs as it crimps it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    FTF failure to feed,or failure to fire? If it's failure to fire it could be the result they may be using Primers like Tula that I have noticed seem to be harder than the Wolf Primers they replaced which in some lots I had about a 5% first hit failure rate,but they fired on a second hit,some guns are more prone and it depends on how much force the primer is struck with.If it's Fail to Feed then their reloading dies probably aren't adjusted right,the Lee Factory crimp die can eliminate the problem since it sizes the case to specs as it crimps it
    All FTF. Almost every other round. We still have a shortage of 380, 9MM and 45 loads in NC. I haven't started reloading my own stuff yet but this is incentive to do so.

No kidding on the 9mm. Since I got my .40 it's almost like waking up from a bad dream, all this ammo is available!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    No kidding on the 9mm. Since I got my .40 it's almost like waking up from a bad dream, all this ammo is available!
    True dat. Local gun shops seem to be selling all the .40 you can buy!

VIP Member
    No, I bought some re-manufactured LRN 9mm to shoot in a convertible Blackhawk,
    it only fits in one cylinder chamber and at that it drags hard on the recoil shield.

Shot some in a XDm and had a rnd chambered that the only way to unload the chamber
    was to shoot it out.

They all shot if they got lined up with the firing pin.

Bad luck...........
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    All FTF. Almost every other round. We still have a shortage of 380, 9MM and 45 loads in NC. I haven't started reloading my own stuff yet but this is incentive to do so.
    Ummm... re-read duk's question. "FTF" is ambiguous; it can mean failure to FEED or failure to FIRE.

Which is it?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I just bought some .45, 9mm and .38Special at Surplus ammo. Interesting price breaks available ....

Here's the link
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member
    The one time I used surplus ammo in my handgun I would have been better off donating it to a natural history museum. Since this is a public forum there is nothing I can say other than it was junk.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    The ammo is not surplus, the name of the company is Surplus Ammo.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links